Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Superhero Template Ideas

It might be worth splitting up civilian adventurer a bit, it's something like half of all superhero origins. Maybe something age-related.

Another category I'd probably consider is the tester. Hal Jordan, for example, was a test pilot before he was a superhero, and Steve Rogers was a test subject for the supersoldier serum.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
LowManaMovieMagic

Don't forget Doctor, as in medical practioner. Stephen Strange didn't attend all those years of medical school to be called Mister.
LowManaMovieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #13
Infornific

I think you might be making this a little more complicated than necessary. If you have Action 4, it might be simpler to start with a few basic 100 point templates (Smart guy, Strong guy, Talented Guy, etc.) and add a couple of 25 point professional lenses from Action 4. How many points were you thinking for the pre-power templates? And how much use of Wildcard skills?
Infornific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
I think you might be making this a little more complicated than necessary. If you have Action 4, it might be simpler to start with a few basic 100 point templates (Smart guy, Strong guy, Talented Guy, etc.) and add a couple of 25 point professional lenses from Action 4. How many points were you thinking for the pre-power templates? And how much use of Wildcard skills?
I was thinking 250 for pre-powers (remember that I'm treating a number of cinematic traits as "super-normal 'powers'" for this). For the Wildcards, I was going to offer a "wildcard alternative" on a number of templates.

And I don't have Action 4 (in fact, I forgot it exists)... I should pick it up soon, but my entertainment budget for this month is already spent as I cut back on a lot of stuff to have my car's rear end worked on. I had taken a look at Action 1, which I may permit a few templates from.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I was thinking 250 for pre-powers (remember that I'm treating a number of cinematic traits as "super-normal 'powers'" for this). For the Wildcards, I was going to offer a "wildcard alternative" on a number of templates.

And I don't have Action 4 (in fact, I forgot it exists)... I should pick it up soon, but my entertainment budget for this month is already spent as I cut back on a lot of stuff to have my car's rear end worked on. I had taken a look at Action 1, which I may permit a few templates from.
I was thinking of the Pointless Dungeon Looting/Monster Hunting from Pyramid which relied on Wildcard skills among other things.

Action 4 has a character generation system which works more or less like this:

Archetype - 100 pt combination of Attributes and Characteristics (e.g., Talented Hero, DX 12, IQ 12, HT 11, Speed 6.0, Per 13.)

Generic Advantages - 25 to 30 points, possibly some fixed.

Everyman skills - 10 to 15 points in skills every character should have

Disadvantages - -50, possibly grouped by theme

That brings you to a net 100 points. Then you have 25 or 50 point lenses to pick, which would cover the skill sets for soldiers, students, etc.

It's a different approach but it seems to me that superhero backgrounds are so varied making a template for each might be too complicated. On the other hand you've already put work into specific templates for spies, students, etc so that might be for the best.
Infornific is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
superhero, supers