Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Summoning Elder Things

Elder things cannot be "banished".
I'm using variants of some of the Cthulu-esque things like deep ones and such. I don't intend on bringing in the big Mr C or anything that huge to my fantasy campaign but the rear Elder Thing will spice things up..
As these creatures / beings are extra-/quasi-dimensional can they be summoned with a 'Summon' spell?
My current inclination is to use a plane shift other spell but dress it up for the fantasy campaign so that it appears as a very obscure and arcane, specialized 'Summon' spell.

Working from the Cthulhu verse source, we know that Elder symbols were used for protection and containment but would a "Pentagram" spell work on a Elder creature or should I cludge that too (like above) using a specialized variant of a "Repel" spell or "Control" spell masquerading as a pentagram for Elder things?
In my campaign there are different types of pentagrams and protective circles for different classes, astral, ethereal, spirit, demonic, etc...). If a protection or containment circle would even work on an Elder Thing I'm just inclined to fold it in under another specialized category of pentagram.

The campaign is a low to mid level fantasy campaign set circa 1250 CE equivalent.
Thoughts please?

Tags
cthulhu, elder thing, horror magic, pentagram, summon