Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #211
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

"Of course it would be wrong to hang him for having pity, but trying to become popular and important isn't the same thing at all.... Isn't it much better to avoid the killing whenever possible? Trying to get into influential positions is just asking for trouble.

We could travel to all the cities you know of and sniff out the riders, and go off and build our own village, hidden in the woods somewhere. You say there's not enough of you, but how many do we really need?"
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #212
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Senarich: "Yes, its preferable to avoid killing. I completely agree with you there. But influential positions... Its human nature. The old and experienced have always gravitated towards such things. And to be quite frank, its only the powerful and wealthy in our old society that survived its fall -- they crave respect. Even I do. And most of the time we get along without any violence, just like any humans. You just showed up at an interesting time."

Senarich: "We could certainly find every one, but we couldn't persuade them to go and live in a small village by ourselves. There is more to life than survival. Think about why you choose to go to the city rather than staying out in the country. Culture is more important than life. What is the phrase? 'Give me liberty or give me death'. Its about culture. People give up their lives for ideas, for cultures. They kill themselves rather than face disgrace or a change in their way of life. What makes you think we are any different? And those who we ride with would object more than the rest of us. Its one thing to have an ageless advisor in your ear as you go about your otherwise unaffected life. Its another to exile yourself to care for an orphaned spirit."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #213
the_matrix_walker

"Well, here you guys abandon your culture for the human variety... it's kind of sad."

The next day, Peter tries to keep a low profile from the goings on, but stays observant.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #214
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Senarich: "Our society is already dead. Trying to reform it out of the fraction remaining is impossible. but yes, I wish it wasn't".

The next day, Peter is finishing up work when he notices an invisible rider coming towards the shop. He thinks its the woman he overheard last time but isn't sure. Close to closing, when one customer comes in, the rider slips in with him, and seems to just wait around.

If Peter decides to fake leaving and try to come back in or eaves drop:

Spoiler:  

When he's back at the home, the ladies are talking all about the murder, and about how much the man did in the community and if they are going to see another spat of demon activity. They give him an extra lecture on avoiding such things (which Senarich makes sarcastic commentary to the entire time) and tell him to be extra sure to be home before dark.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #215
the_matrix_walker

Peter does his best to be "well behaved" and be as regular a kid as he can over the coming days. His imagination runs wild, thinking about the potential plots and mysteries afoot. Peter struggles with the questions of who is right and wrong, and if he should tell what he knows about the murder...

Sometimes it's all too much, and there are tears. When Senarich asks, he tells him it's because he misses his home and family, which is at least mostly true.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #216
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

In the next three days word comes in of other murders in other towns: Roanoke and New York have two apiece, and quite a bit of the country side has murders of their own. The Atlantic seaboard (which is the heart of the world around here) has 14 murders all told. All of them are wealthy businessmen, statesmen, and public figures. Three of them (including the first) are in Boston. Many accusations of demon possession are made, and while all of those are still in the process of trial, it adds to the upheaval, though Morgan's name does not make the list. On the third night, burglaries of shops by emboldened thieves are added to the headlines.

Senarich tries to be comforting, but he really isn't that good at it. For one, he doesn't know of any way for peter to get back home, and he's something of a brooder himself. And senarich doesn't know the whole story behind the tears.

Peter notices that riders are talking to each other quietly in the streets more and more often. Senarich is torn between Peter's policy of staying low (with which he at least partially agrees), and a desire to participate in the upcoming war and know what's going on. Kissinger seems to be taking everything smoothly -- he at least doesn't feel like he's at risk. At least one man (not a rider) asks him why he's so calm and Kissinger replies that he stays away both sides, and both sides don't bother him.

Peter's dreams feature meetings late at night, from both the brotherhood and bands of riders (who are either invisible or physically altered enough to be unrecognisable). They discuss people killed, and plan more people to kill. Peter doesn't get enough hints to figure out anything about who the people are though.

As Peter is going home on the third day, he is approached by a heavy man in a suit. Peter thinks the man is some sort of clergy or the other. The man says "Son, come on over here. I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you about your employment." The man seems quite solemn, and quite friendly.

Senarich gets tense and even a little panicked: "Its a priest. He's an exorcist. one of the enemy!"

Old 11-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #217
the_matrix_walker

'Stay calm Senarich, he can't detect you, can he?' he thinks to his companion as he turns to the exorcist.

Peter musters his boyish charm and innocence as best he can and replies...
"What can I do for you sir?"
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #218
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Senarich: "You're the only one who can do that, and it hasn't been enough to stop us from being hunted down all the other times. Be careful. Don't tell him too much! I'll be stranded but they'll kill you!"

The priest, who introduces himself as 'Reverend Cole' obliquely approaches the matter of the increase in attacks, making sure that Peter is aware of the situation ("I struggle figuring out what the younger generation pays attention to and what they ignore"). He tries to figure how involved or concerned Peter is, and expresses that if Peter ever feels unsure about the situation that he can confide the reverend ("I know your situation, and I understand you may not be comfortable bringing up some of these topics with your guardians. If you need anything, I'll be there"). He seems sincere in his offer.

Then he asks "Can I trust you to be discrete? Gossip is dangerous at the best of times, and right now it can kill. I'm worried about the business you work at -- Morgan Freight."

Senarich is seething: "Careful peter. Careful--"

Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #219
the_matrix_walker

Peter convey that he is aware of the attacks and concerned about them, but has a general impression that it's a "grown up" thing, and he carries the invulnerability of naivety

"All these folks getting killed is terrible! It's really scary... It all seems so random. Luckily I have my best friend looking out for me." He reaches out and scratches the big dog between is shoulder blades.

At the mention of his workplace, Peter becomes wide eyed and animated.

"They've always been nice enough to me... Oh no! Do you think they might be next!?!? "

Peter calms down, visibly steadying himself, and glances to the left and right, checking to see who might be in earshot.... then looks back at the Reverend with hi most serious gaze...

"I can keep a secret, sir. I'm the Fort Knox of secrets!"
Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #220
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Worse, I think one of them might know who's involved in the killings. I can't tell you why I think that, but I think someone is using that company's resources to organize the deaths. I don't want you to look into anything -- we certainly don't want you to get yourself killed, but you haven't seen anything that could indicate clandestine activity have you?"

Tags
lost in dreams