Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-01-2024, 04:37 PM   #1
Angel Darkover

Default Major error discovered (definite margin case)

Apologies, but this is bizarre.

First, here is the error:
https://high-fantasy.s3.us-west-2.am...ctic+Error.jpg

After which, it crashes to the desktop - but it does retain control long enough to ask (and presumably complete but unverified) about saving the character.

So, here are the simplest repro steps I could get, which also abstracted out my own data files. Also, if it matters, I am in Classic view.

Step 1: Create a data set with just Basic and Magic.
Step 2: Create a brand new, blank character using said data set.
Step 3: Switch to the Spells tab, select the Categories filter and choose "~Syntactic".
Step 4: In the Library Spells side, select "Air (Syntactic)" and then CTRL-SHIFT-END to select all syntactic spells. Press "Add" to add them.
Step 5: Switching to the Character Spells side, click on any spell simply to deselect some leftover random selection, and then scroll to the top and again select "Air (Syntactic)".
Step 6: Again perform a CTRL-SHIFT-END to select all syntactic spells. This is when the error is triggered.

If more information is needed, or select files, please let me know what you need and I will provide whatever I can. I don't think it's a program setting inside of the options, but I can delineate those as well if you want.

As an aside, I also tried completing the first five steps and then manually CTRL-Clicking each spell to add them to the selection one at a time, and the error didn't trigger until the "Water (Syntactic)" spell (23rd of 24), if that helps at all.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Major error discovered (definite margin case)

Doesn't happen to me.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:35 AM   #3
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Darkover View Post
If more information is needed
It's always helpful for troubleshooting to confirm the exact version of the software and the operating system.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:07 AM   #4
Angel Darkover

Very true, sorry about that. GCA 5, the latest version, 5.0.220.0 on Windows 10.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:55 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

I haven't had a chance yet to try to reproduce this, but at least this type of error is known to me. I was pretty sure they were all covered and trapped for, but apparently not entirely.

I'll take a look when I get a chance, thanks.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:26 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

I am also unable to reproduce this issue. And I don't have a working Windows 10 machine any more, so I can't check to see if this is some weird Windows version issue.

In any case, I have added a couple extra checks in the place where that error message popped, in order to trap for the issues most likely to cause that error, even though it shouldn't be possible for them to actually occur by the time it gets there. It certainly doesn't hurt to have extra safety checks.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:26 AM   #7
Angel Darkover

If it would help, I would be willing to set up a remote desktop session and let you remote in to investigate the matter on my system - if it matters enough to pursue further. I recognize that it is a margin case in terms of repro steps as well as requiring some configuration that does not apply to everyone. Still, if you want to investigate further, I am willing to let you use my system to investigate it if you would like. If you want to do so, PM me and we can set something up. If not, no worries.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:17 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks for the offer, but I don't wish to take things that far.

ETA: To clarify, trying to reproduce and trace the error remotely like that is very difficult, and not worth spending that much of our time on, if the extra traps may just catch it anyway.

Last edited by Armin; 04-04-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM   #9
Angel Darkover

No worries, I completely understand. I will also watch for the update and let you know if it resolves the issue.