Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Now you SIEGE me, now you don't.

Apologies for the lame pun, but spinning off Bill's thread in the main forum...

The discussion on siege weapons has me thinking about building on the concept for my own game. As written, ENGINEER serves as a broad weapon talent covering all siege weapons (among other things), but what if this was expanded into several talents?

I'm not sure I would propose a separate talent for each distinct weapon, but I am fond of the idea for three progressive talents that build on each other and potentially provide additional benefits... something like SIEGE WEAPONS (focused on weapon function and management), SIEGE ENGINEER (improving weapon use/accuracy and adding other siege contructs) and SIEGE MASTER (for STRATEGIST-level knowledge of siege techniques, construction and tactics).

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-26-2022 at 08:49 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Now you SIEGE me, now you don't.

c.f.

Architect/Builder - Castle builder

Mechanician / Master Mechanician - Siege engine builder

Strategist - Can only command armies in the field and hence useless in defending a castle
Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
warhorse11h

A castle garrison, as a military force during a siege, is a force in the field. It is a military force in contact with the enemy. There can be many reasons for forting up if you will in a military campaign. Many of them adhere to sound strategic and tactical principles. The utility of a strategist in a campaign is largely a question of the imagination of the GM. A statement that Strategist would not be of importance during a siege is at best ill-advised.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
A castle garrison, as a military force during a siege, is a force in the field. It is a military force in contact with the enemy. There can be many reasons for forting up if you will in a military campaign. Many of them adhere to sound strategic and tactical principles. The utility of a strategist in a campaign is largely a question of the imagination of the GM. A statement that Strategist would not be of importance during a siege is at best ill-advised.
I concur. The ability to command troops doesn't require an actual open field. It only requires that he has a way for his troops to hear him.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Apologies for the lame pun, but spinning off Bill's thread in the main forum...

The discussion on siege weapons has me thinking about expanding on the concept for my own game. As written, ENGINEER serves as a broad weapon talent covering all siege weapons (among other things), but what if this was broken down into several talents?

I'm not sure I would propose a separate talent for each distinct weapon, but I am fond of the idea for three progressive talents that build on each other and potentially provide additional benefits... something like SIEGE WEAPONS (focused on weapon function and management), SIEGE ENGINEER (improving weapon use/accuracy and adding other siege contructs) and SIEGE MASTER (for STRATEGIST-level knowledge of siege techniques, construction and tactics).
I'm glad that I was able to inspire the conversation.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
The discussion on siege weapons has me thinking about building on the concept for my own game. As written, ENGINEER serves as a broad weapon talent covering all siege weapons (among other things), but what if this was expanded into several talents?

Engineer costs 2 points. Are you thinking of making your tiered talents cost less each?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
hcobb

What are the prices for the different siege engines so we can derive the time to build? The Romans had instant ballista kits, just add wood, etc.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What are the prices for the different siege engines so we can derive the time to build? The Romans had instant ballista kits, just add wood, etc.
Well...I guess that question can be answered after it is determined how much material and time is required. May have to wing it by guestimation.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 04-27-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Engineer costs 2 points. Are you thinking of making your tiered talents cost less each?
I think that it could be accomplished with the existing talents provided that some interactive application of these talents are better defined per the methodology described in my prior post. Various combinations of Tactics and Strategist talents in conjunction with Engineer, Mechanician, Master Mechanician, Crossbow, and Missile Weapons will become more important when it comes to siege related equipment and the ability to use it effectively.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Yes, sort of...

For those unfamiliar w/ my heretical ideas, the framework I've been developing and (mostly) using over the past couple years restructures talents into tiers based on the character's overall level of experience (measured by attribute totals) and then sub-groups talents into simple or complex 'weights'. IQ cost is only relevant for initial character creation so in that sense the proposed SIEGE WEAPON talent (complex Novice tier) would still be 2-points. My XP costs use a completely different scale, however, so that same talent, if acquired later, would be 400 XP.

Each of the subsequent talents would likewise be classified as complex in their respective tiers and would therefore cost 1200 (Veteran tier) and 2800 XP (Legendary tier). The trick will be making them worth that kind of investment. ;)

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-27-2022 at 06:43 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote