Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-20-2022, 06:44 AM   #1
GURPZine

Default Noob Question - Books needed to play

Hi there,

A totally noob question: which books do i need to play? I know ITL includes Adv. Melee and Adv. Wizard, but do i need Melee or Wizard to play In The Labyrinth? If i buy just ITL, do i have all the rules needed to play?
GURPZine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Noob Question - Books needed to play

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...-the-labyrinth says: "advanced magic and combat rules", but it actually includes all of the rules needed for play. You do not need to get Melee or Wizard, but the Melee PDF is available for free and includes all of the rules needed to play the first Death Test.

Here is my suggested learning curve, but YMMV https://www.hcobb.com//tft/TFT_Quick_Start.html
Old 04-20-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
GURPZine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...-the-labyrinth says: "advanced magic and combat rules", but it actually includes all of the rules needed for play. You do not need to get Melee or Wizard, but the Melee PDF is available for free and includes all of the rules needed to play the first Death Test.

Here is my suggested learning curve, but YMMV https://www.hcobb.com//tft/TFT_Quick_Start.html
Thank you very much! Coincidentally I was reading your beginner's tutorial right now! Very good start.

However, I still needed a straight answer to this question. Thanks for answering it.
GURPZine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

At the moment, the $10 PDF reward on Kickstarter is the best intro to the game at a low cost. It’s a bargain, since we hope to introduce more people to the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
hcobb

Adding https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...covery_similar

To my guide.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
Gffclarke668

Bit of a tangent: I thought I saw some chatter regarding an introduction box-set in the style of the early '80s sets available from various companies. It was a fan suggestion but can't remember if was here, facebook or on kickstarter.

I would be totally in on something like this. A player's guide and a labyrinth master book along with maybe a short programmed adventure and some dice.

Also i'm not saying I would buy at least three of these if they ever come to fruition, but I would buy three of these if they ever came to fruition.
Gffclarke668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gffclarke668 View Post
Bit of a tangent: I thought I saw some chatter regarding an introduction box-set in the style of the early '80s sets available from various companies. It was a fan suggestion but can't remember if was here, facebook or on kickstarter.

I would be totally in on something like this. A player's guide and a labyrinth master book along with maybe a short programmed adventure and some dice.
I believe that describes the Legacy Edition boxed set.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
Terquem

To play Melee, you need Melee. It's free but you would need to print your own counters and battle map.
To play Wizard, you need Wizard. It is not free but if you buy it you get counters, a battle map, and dice.
To play Melee and Wizard together, you need both.
To play Melee and Wizard in a campaign setting you can create your own campaign rules or buy In The Labyrinth.

The LE box is nice, but is not required.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
To play Melee, you need Melee. It's free but you would need to print your own counters and battle map.
To play Wizard, you need Wizard. It is not free but if you buy it you get counters, a battle map, and dice.
To play Melee and Wizard together, you need both.
To play Melee and Wizard in a campaign setting you can create your own campaign rules or buy In The Labyrinth.

The LE box is nice, but is not required.

Just to be clear, you do not need Melee or Wizard if you get "In The Labyrinth." ITL includes both of those and a lot more combat & magic. ITL is the RPG and has all the rules.

Melee is the game that started it all. It is for simple arena combat. It is free and unnecessary if you ITL.

Wizard is the magic system and also really for arena combat. Also, unnecessary if you have ITL.

Melee + Wizard is very fun it you just want quick fights. Of course you can do that too with ITL and with more talents, weapons, spells, etc and then continue to role play the characters that you began with.

There are a lot of modules/scenarios that add fun. Death Test is ideal for you if you just have Melee/Wizard/both.

Have fun.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #10
agentJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
At the moment, the $10 PDF reward on Kickstarter is the best intro to the game at a low cost. It’s a bargain, since we hope to introduce more people to the game.
Drat, I missed the kickstarter. Does that mean I cannot pledge late?
I would love to get the pdf's and that is a great price!
So do I just wait for future kickstarters?

And I don't have Quick Quest 6 or 7. I need to check kickstarter more often or something so I don't miss out again.
agentJ is offline   Reply With Quote