Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
simulatoralive

Default Damage reduces size modifier

I'm building a monster (a walking pile of coins) that should get smaller the more you damage it, because it's losing mass from each attack.

I'd like to treat it as though it didn't have any HP at all, but it's ST score takes the place of HP, along with a comparable reduction in size. So, when it reaches zero ST it dies, because it's lost all mass.

On the other hand, it heals itself by absorbing more mass (coins, in this case).

I assume this would be a disadvantage. Any ideas on how to price this would be much appreciated.

Islands of War is my fantasy campaign setting for GURPS. It includes Adventures.

Have trouble drawing dungeon maps? Try Inkscape and my Dungeon Template.

I'm building a video game.
simulatoralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Damage reduces size modifier

If you're just building a monster, don't worry about character points or finding exactly the right trait. Just make a note exactly like the one you wrote above, and include whatever other statistics are needed.

You only need to worry about character points and exact traits when you're building a player character.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
simulatoralive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If you're just building a monster, don't worry about character points or finding exactly the right trait. Just make a note exactly like the one you wrote above, and include whatever other statistics are needed.

You only need to worry about character points and exact traits when you're building a player character.
I build everything with points because I like to. For all I know, I might build a PC race like this someday. It all depends.

On the other hand, I find challenges like this make it easier to build all characters.

Islands of War is my fantasy campaign setting for GURPS. It includes Adventures.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
chris1982

The idea is nice, but its a bit boring to fight a monster that gets weaker and weaker the longer the fight goes - it is only really strong before it takes any hits...

How about e.g. making it faster the smaller it gets?
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
simulatoralive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
The idea is nice, but its a bit boring to fight a monster that gets weaker and weaker the longer the fight goes - it is only really strong before it takes any hits...

How about e.g. making it faster the smaller it gets?
Sounds like a fun idea.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatoralive View Post
I build everything with points because I like to. For all I know, I might build a PC race like this someday. It all depends.
I find this to be good also.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
cccwebs

There's no rule in RAW, so you have to make someting up or convert it. A suggestion is modifying Shrinking. Make it tied to HP. You'll need to create a chart that indicates how tall it is as it reached different levels of HP. Maybe Shrinking (Uncontrollable:Based on HP, -30%). So, a 6' tall coin elemental with 10 HP and Shrinking 5 (Uncontrollable:Based on HP, -30%) [18] would shrink to 4.5' when reduced to 9 HP, 3' at 5 HP, 2' at 4 HP, 18" at 3 HP, and 10" at 1 HP. Add in Fragile (Unnatural) [-50] so it dies at -1 HP. Use Unhealing [-20] and Leech (Coins) [25] to be able to absorb coins and regrow.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Another take on it, but rahter complex.

Give it a lot of "tiered Advantages", e.g. where the first one or two levels has a Limitation of "requires creature to be at full SM", the next one or two levels has a Limitation of "requiers the creature to not have been redued by morE than 1 SM", then the next 1-2 levels with the Limitation "requires the creature to not have been reduced by more than 2 SMs", and so forth.

The question is, what should those Limitations be?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
The_Nightwatch

I once created a race called Fracts where, every time you did (HT) damage to one, it split into two half-sized ones. I had them written up at half size, quarter, down to 16th. I wrote them up as having Duplication with a 50% Limitation; the itty-bitty ones couldn't do much, move very far in a turn, etc. They were fun, though. You could do something similar here, if you wanted.

I only charged one level of Duplication under the circumstances, and probably could have priced it out differently based on the ~advantage~ being into weaker forms and involuntary, too. But for NPCs I wasn't worrying about it. (For some reason none of the PCs ever wanted to be one...) :)
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
simulatoralive

Okay, here's my current way of thinking:
Fragile (Unnatural), so it dies at a consistent point, every time.

Add a limitation to ST such that it scales according to HP. Not sure what the value of this should be.

Add a limitation to part of Basic Speed such that it's inversely proportional to HP. Not sure what the value of this should be, either.

The size changing bit can be a zero point feature, with perhaps a perk that allows it to shed HP in order to get smaller.

Finally, it has Regeneration with a limitation that it can only heal by absorbing the proper materials (re-absorbing the mass that was knocked off it in battle is allowed). In addition, it has Unhealing (Total) to represent that it cannot heal without using the Regeneration ability.

So, I need to figure out limitation values for ST, Basic Speed and Regeneration.

Edit: After reading Peter Knutsen's post, I'm thinking ST and Basic Speed will be tiered like suggested.

Last edited by simulatoralive; 10-25-2009 at 09:32 AM.