Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2022, 03:41 AM   #51
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Player wants GURPS version of D&D Weapon Focus feat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The -60% Limitation is when applied to Trained by a Master, and represents that it only works for Broadsword, rather than all skills (although I think canonically One Skill Only tends to be only -20%, at least for other traits like Striking ST and Extra Attack; -60% is more One Attack Only; One Weapon Design Only as a middleground of -40% is easier to swallow, for [18], but I suspect making it [12] won't break anything).

Pricing it at [12] means, were it based on Weapon Master, we'd be treating No Damage Bonus as a -40% Limitation. That's not out of the question, although as I noted previously, I'd be more inclined to go with -20% (and a cost of [16]).

I will say, however, that if you're wanting it to apply to an entire skill, -60% is far too much of a discount. -20% (end cost [24]) or maybe -30% (end cost [21]) seem appropriate, and maybe you could stretch it to -40% (end cost [18]), but any further is too cheap. Again, covering all weapons that use Broadsword is probably a Small Class, for [30] for full-fat Weapon Master. Putting the price at [12] means you consider No Damage Bonus to be worth -60%, which is massive.
Skill Enhancement Only (-60%): "You may add this limitation to any exotic or supernatural ability that is not designed primarily to improve skills" (sic)

Since Weapon Master fundamentally give a default skill bonus Skill Enhancement Only cannot be applied and something else would have to be used.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:55 AM   #52
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Skill Enhancement Only isn't relevant here. This is for things using Abilities Enhancing Skills that only just do that. For example if you had weak Clinging that only gave a bonus to Climbing, or Flight that only lightens you enough to boost Acrobatics etc.

One Skill Only is relevant, at least for TbAM (WM already has a built-in discount for smaller classes of weapons).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #53
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
One Skill Only is relevant, at least for TbAM (WM already has a built-in discount for smaller classes of weapons).
OK, so if we agree that One Skill Only is relevant for TbAM, ido we agree on the -60% and final cost of 12 points?

And Varyon, your idea of making Striking ST as a technique is interesting. I must say I guess I haven't run enough games to notice any problem with Striking ST - or at least enough high-point games, I suppose...

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #54
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
OK, so if we agree that One Skill Only is relevant for TbAM, ido we agree on the -60% and final cost of 12 points?

And Varyon, your idea of making Striking ST as a technique is interesting. I must say I guess I haven't run enough games to notice any problem with Striking ST - or at least enough high-point games, I suppose...

thom
You're better off just saying Weapon Master (No Damage Bonus, -50%).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote