Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #21
Polydamas

Default Re: Visible Warrior Invisible Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Yep. I think the GM needs to assess the situation, perhaps even on a turn by turn basis, to review modifiers.
I agree that somewhere between -4 (they step into measure and attack, you don't know what weapon they have or how long it is) and +0 (you are in close combat with them) seems reasonable.

In real fighting against things which move too fast to see and respond to such as spear thrusts, a common tactic is finding the sword: put your weapon between your body and their weapon, close to it or touching and with an advantage in leverage, so you can feel what they are going to do. If I ever reworked the weapons skills, I would probably have a class of skills like Rapier and Spear which assume that you lead with the weapon point-in-line. Those skills would probably have lower penalties to defend against this hypothetical invisible weapon.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 01-14-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #22
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
like say for example your ally is grappling an invisible foe: you'd probably have a better idea of where to attack to hit that invisible foe
Any normal person would be more likely to blow at least a round staring, and muttering "What the hell is going on there?"

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:29 AM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Any normal person would be more likely to blow at least a round staring, and muttering "What the hell is going on there?"
Unless you are informed in advanced about the invisible person or weapon, you'll have to use the surprise mechanics.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:00 AM   #24
RyanW

In a campaign that allows a bit of sillyness, I would introduce the invisible swordsman by reputation. Then have the PCs meet him and only then realize he isn't the "invisible (swordsman)" but the "(invisible swords)man".

Tags
gurps