Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Carrot

Default Armor - Lighten enchantment is a baaaargain!

My group has just had their first major haul and I was just musing over the gear possibilities that there are.

Noticed that the Lighten enchantment is a bargain!

For example:

Plate is 7500 for a full suit. Fine is +9CF. 7500 + (9 x 7500) = 75000 to get 3/4 weight.

Lighten, on the other hand, is 7500 + 10000 = 17500 to get 1/2 weight. seems like a bargain to me!

...or am I doing it wrong. I guess, as GM, I can make it whatever I want or make it not available, but don't have the headspace to get into that right now.

Thanks all!
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Armor - Lighten enchantment is a baaaargain!

No, your math looks good. What you're missing is
  1. It is only cheaper on expensive Plate armor. On a cheaper armor, anything less than $1111, the Enchantment costs more.
  2. Enchantments temporarily lose effect in no Mana zones, can be dispelled through some means, and can be destroyed by penetrating the armor multiple times.
  3. You can have both.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-13-2020 at 11:33 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
[*]Enchantments temporarily lose effect in no Mana zones
That sounds very unfun to remember
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
That sounds very unfun to remember
You might say the sudden realization could really weigh you down.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Anders

Cue armored wizard walking into a no-mana zone and promptly collapsing in a whimpering heap.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Harald387

Quote:
and can be destroyed by penetrating the armor multiple times.
Did that rule make it into DFRPG? I thought it got left out (rightly) as a bookkeeping nightmare.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Did that rule make it into DFRPG? I thought it got left out (rightly) as a bookkeeping nightmare.
Ya know, I think it didn't. Under Enchanted Items (Exploits, p. 77) there's a quick blurb which states:
[A Magic Item] retains its power indefinitely – but if broken, it loses all magical properties forever.

But from what I can tell there's no real description of what "Broken" means, especially in regards to Armor. I mean, if you have a magic wineskin and I poke a hole in it, we'd probably agree it's broken for all practical purposes. But how that applies to Armor doesn't seem to be detailed that I can find.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
from what I can tell there's no real description of what "Broken" means, especially in regards to Armor. I mean, if you have a magic wineskin and I poke a hole in it, we'd probably agree it's broken for all practical purposes. But how that applies to Armor doesn't seem to be detailed that I can find.
I've always assumed there's some intentional flexibility here so that different groups could rule things differently.

In my campaigns, magic is usually fairly tenacious. If your armor get dinged up or even pierced by a bunch of bodkin arrows, the enchantments still hold. The assumption is that PCs spend time making repairs (and maybe some of their weekly expenses in town cover that sort of thing). If some sort of acid slime lands on it and dissolves through it, the piece of armor is destroyed (even if there are scrappy bits remaining) and the enchantment goes with it.

I'm glad DFRPG dropped the armor penetrations rule. That level of bookkeeping doesn't seem fun to me (and can always be added as an optional rule for those that like its grit).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
My group has just had their first major haul and I was just musing over the gear possibilities that there are.

Noticed that the Lighten enchantment is a bargain!

For example:

Plate is 7500 for a full suit. Fine is +9CF. 7500 + (9 x 7500) = 75000 to get 3/4 weight.

Lighten, on the other hand, is 7500 + 10000 = 17500 to get 1/2 weight. seems like a bargain to me!

...or am I doing it wrong. I guess, as GM, I can make it whatever I want or make it not available, but don't have the headspace to get into that right now.

Thanks all!
**** I typed the bit below and realized just before posting "I dont know if the DFRPG enchanting rules regarding time are the same as Core,I know cost is different, but I haven't gotten far enough into DFRPG to know if the process is the same." ****

Time is a big factor with spells over 100energy, and Enchanting doesn't start till the armor is done. So you still have to find or commission the metal bits.

Lighten 50% weight is 500energy per item cheap $ compared to 3/4 reduction at 9 times the price, there is a but though. Depending on the enchanting rules for the world you're in RAW that could mean S&S 500days for each piece if there is only one enchanter available.

500enegy is a lot for a quick and dirty (I don't have a world that has batteries this size available for small stuff like bits of armor), and if power/mana stones are involved there are still recharge times.

A skilled armorer shop could probably turn your suit out in 3 months or so, and you could use them as they get finished so you would probably start getting benefits of new armor bits in 3ish weeks for the simpler (less articulated) pieces.

Even if you find a guild/group of enchanters to do it, you're still looking at a lot of time or extra expense to get your stuff moved to the front of the line over other projects they may already have.

Even my most generous magic setting would still take a couple months for each piece (I allow enchanters to S&S up to thier max FP per day but the average still hovers around 12 or 22 a day).
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
**** I typed the bit below and realized just before posting "I dont know if the DFRPG enchanting rules regarding time are the same as Core,I know cost is different, but I haven't gotten far enough into DFRPG to know if the process is the same." ****
It's not, DFRPG has no enchanting rules. The PCs are expected to buy magic items if the GM is in a good mood or else loot them like proper heroes.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote