Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #121
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
[ooc] Acting-12: 3d6=10

Indi pulls off a blank state of shock. "Are you trying to tell me you don't know? Your girlfriend is gone, no need to worry about her anymore. Or are you just giving me more jagblather?"
Guy looks a bit put out by this, but rallies quickly. "Like I said, no girl's ever come back to complain about me before. At least not to my face. And the girls that I go for," he adds with a nasty tone of voice, "are independent enough that they wouldn't need to go crying to someone like you," he jabs two fingers into Indigo's chest for emphasis, "if I upset them."

[OOC: Indigo needs to take a HT-2 roll. Same as before; vague glow in Guy's eyes are the only hint that anything unusual is happening. Once Indigo has actually failed one of these rolls and knows what he's avoiding (at the moment he's only got a vague idea that there is anything to avoid) then he could try for a dodge first.]
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."

Last edited by Totem; 11-10-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #122
KS Pathfinder
 
KS Pathfinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Worcester, UK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

After a relatively short period of time on foot Mark-315 and Seann eventually reach the closest internet cafe and enter the premises, booking a few hours’ worth of time on one of the internet cafe’s computers. Upon choosing one of the machines furthest away from everyone else, and facing away from mostly everyone, the two of them, plus Serena, set about accomplishing their goals.

Mark-315<Aloud>: “So, any preference to the order in which we set about researching demons, making ourselves some ID’s, and renting ourselves a van?”
KS Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #123
Talosian
 
Talosian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

"ID first, research second. We can pickup a van after."

(Research 13 at TL11)
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #124
Dorin Thorha
 
Dorin Thorha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Guy looks a bit put out by this, but rallies quickly. "Like I said, no girl's ever come back to complain about me before. At least not to my face. And the girls that I go for," he adds with a nasty tone of voice, "are independent enough that they wouldn't need to go crying to someone like you," he jabs two fingers into Indigo's chest for emphasis, "if I upset them."

[OOC: Indigo needs to take a HT-2 roll. Same as before; vague glow in Guy's eyes are the only hint that anything unusual is happening. Once Indigo has actually failed one of these rolls and knows what he's avoiding (at the moment he's only got a vague idea that there is anything to avoid) then he could try for a dodge first.]
HT 12 3d6=9 Success.

Whatever it is, I guess it's not seious enough to trigger his Danger Sense?

"The kind of girls you go for? What are you, some kind of talent scout for yelp-houses?"
__________________
<><
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #125
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
"She's part of the staff, not a student. The... authorities, they... haven't been as helpful as we would have liked." He turns to Gabrielle. "Isn't that right, dear?"
Douglas pauses for a second, then shrugs and goes on: "Maybe your friend over there will have heard something?" He nods toward Guy. "Let's ask him."

He moves his right foot toward Guy, and shifts his body in that direction, but doesn't exactly get any closer.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #126
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
"ID first, research second. We can pickup a van after."

(Research 13 at TL11)
Okay, research time.

Seann: Research 13 (TL11)
Mark: IQ-5 (Default) 5
Serena: IQ-5 (Default) 9

Tech Level modifiers (for working with TL8 equipment):
Seann (TL11): -5
Mark/ Serena (TL10): -3
All (for simple interface (search engine) and Computer Use rolls): +3

Totals:
Seann: 11
Mark: 5
Serena: 9


Research for IDs:

Seann: 11 -- 12 (failure, barely)
Mark: 5 -- 8 (failure)
Serena: 9 -- 12 (failure)

Despite some diligent research, no one managed to turn up a suitable form of identification to use as a template.


Research on Demons:

Seann: 11 -- 11 (success, barely)
Mark: 5 -- 17 (critical failure)
Serena: 9 -- 12 (failure)

About 90% of what you have found is related to films, TV series, cartoons, comics, games and other fictional works. For instance you’ve found the complete guide to over a dozen series of various sorts (Mark got thoroughly distracted by the anime section, hense the low roll).

Of the remaining 10% about half of it contradicts the other half. Some of it is obviously junk from the rest of the stuff that it is bundled with. Some of it looks quite professional and sensible, but these are the parts that tend to be either the most generic (muttering vaguely about “true names” and the like) or which tend to be the most guarded.

What you’ve learnt can be summarised as this: in a world of free speech, and in a medium where the voice of every fool is as valid as that of an expert, and especially on a topic that experts are going to know enough to keep quiet about, you can find all sorts of nonsense. There is enough to know that there is something sensible out there to find, but that is about it. You haven't found any indication of where to look or how to recognise an expert.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."

Last edited by Totem; 11-13-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added bits missing
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #127
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
HT 12 3d6=9 Success.

Whatever it is, I guess it's not seious enough to trigger his Danger Sense?

"The kind of girls you go for? What are you, some kind of talent scout for yelp-houses?"
[OOC: The danger is a tad more... Insidious than immediate. That plus Low Signiature, I deemed to mean that it bypasses the Danger Sense. As with the defence roll, once Indigo has actually recognised that this is dangerous, it can kick in. At present I'm working on the basis that the Atlantean Compass is non-sapient and won't look beyond the immediate results of what happens (i.e. Danger Sense only works a few seconds into the future), and so doesn't recognise it as dangerous. It'll make sense when this actually kicks in.]

Guy bites back a laugh. "Not the kind that you think," he declares jokingly. "Now are you going to give me a name for who's been telling you these things? Because if you want to make accusations like this then I'm fairly sure that there are going to be some cops around that you can take it to rather than just hanging around in the street like this."

Indigo glances around and there is indeed a police car parked nearby. At this distance it's hard to tell if it's occupied, but it's easily within hearing distance if Guy gave a shout for help.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #128
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Douglas pauses for a second, then shrugs and goes on: "Maybe your friend over there will have heard something?" He nods toward Guy. "Let's ask him."

He moves his right foot toward Guy, and shifts his body in that direction, but doesn't exactly get any closer.
Sara tenses as Douglas indicates Guy. "He..." She pauses. "He won't know anything about anyone vanishing," she says.

[Douglas recognises this as a lie immediately. To Gabrielle it sounded convincing, but a telepathic glance picks up the idea that Guy might well know something about it, or even be responsible. There's a hint of knowing where to look, somewhere that she has been told about but never been to.]

"I'm sorry, I don't think that I can help you," Sara says, starting to turn away and carry on walking.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."

Last edited by Totem; 11-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #129
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
"I'm sorry, I don't think that I can help you," Sara says, starting to turn away and carry on walking.
"You seem to be in an awful hurry," Douglas says. "Or are you just the kind of person that can't be troubled to help someone else, no matter how important? You're not even willing to hear out a basic description of what she looks like. We've been walking up and down these streets for two-and-a-half days now, asking everyone in sight, and you're the first person who, rather than respond by asking 'Well, what did she look like?' or maybe 'When's the last time you heard from her?' says 'Nope, haven't heard anything,' and then acts in a big hurry to rush off. Now, that might make sense if the place you were rushing off to was the nearest restroom facilities, but that isn't the case, is it?" He looks over at Guy again. "And when you tell me your pal over there won't know anything, your whole body tenses up and you don't look me in the eyes. You smile a little too, but only around the lips."

He takes a step toward Guy (a real step this time), and waits until he hears Indigo talking to Guy, and then says, in a loud enough voice for Sara to hear, but for Guy not to: "Excuse me! Sir! I'd like you to ask you a few questions about our daughter!"
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #130
Dorin Thorha
 
Dorin Thorha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
The danger is a tad more... Insidious than immediate. That plus Low Signiature, I deemed to mean that it bypasses the Danger Sense. As with the defence roll, once Indigo has actually recognised that this is dangerous, it can kick in. At present I'm working on the basis that the Atlantean Compass is non-sapient and won't look beyond the immediate results of what happens (i.e. Danger Sense only works a few seconds into the future), and so doesn't recognise it as dangerous. It'll make sense when this actually kicks in.
That's fine, it's probably in Indi's best interests that he doesn't have an eerie Atlantean banshee scream drawing attention to himself right now. My interpretation is that the compass is an artifact that reacts in some parascientific way to the physical presence of hidden danger. Since Indi knows that Guy potentially possesses supernatural powers, it probably wouldn't trigger unless there was something imminently dangerous, like say Guy was about to trigger a plane shift that would take Indi and him to some alternate hell-world, or Guy's associate was coming up behind with a knife. Obviously Indi only has a limited understanding of where the compass came from or how it works, which is mostly the combination of legends and what he has deciphered from experimenting with it himself.

Quote:
Guy bites back a laugh. "Not the kind that you think," he declares jokingly. "Now are you going to give me a name for who's been telling you these things? Because if you want to make accusations like this then I'm fairly sure that there are going to be some cops around that you can take it to rather than just hanging around in the street like this."
"Oh, I've no province in any of your other personal affairs. I came here to have a word with you for betraying my niece, but it seems I should be having a word with her father for raising a dunderhead who can't a no-good yellow-bellied quisling of a runt from a doorknob. Good day to you, and I best not hear that you ever do come back to her."

With a parting glare, Indi stalks off in the direction the others have gone.

Quote:
"Excuse me! Sir! I'd like you to ask you a few questions about our daughter!"
If Guy can't hear this, Indi probably can't either, right?
__________________
<><
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.