Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #61
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
I hope not, though it does seem to be going a bit slowly.
Well, I would have had Douglas hop up and do something earlier, but I feared that would further exacerbate the problem. If he's the only one that ever does anything, that means there's less reason for anyone else to keep playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Chandler
When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.
It looked to me like that was what you had tried to do, what with Guy showing up and the Invisible Man following us, but the attempt seems to have failed.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #62
Hannes665

Yes I must admit itīs little bit hard to keep a tabletop like game in pbp game.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #63
Talosian

I am still here, and interested. Just busy. I should be able to post in a day or two (possibly today if I can get things sorted out). Seann will be suggesting that they find a way to deal with Dale, then proceed to find Chris Martin. After that he'd want to go over all their options thus far (currently he'd probably want to find the book (unless they are contacted by James), but that may change).

Seann's also going to make absolutely sure that they all get some form of communicators after this mission (probably radio, as most other types of communication are Super Science (and very expensive) or have their own restrictions).

I think it would probably be easier to run a tabletop-esque game over a chat program. That adds the complication of timing and schedules though.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #64
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Douglas acts like he's thinking for a second. "Hello, ma'am. Are you related to... Guy Hanover? You must be his sister." He chuckles. "Well, we are working for a local investigative agency," he holds up his ID, "and we have been hired by Mister Chaskey's insurance agency to investigate the accident. May we ask you a few routine questions about Guy's behavior? Does he usually drink and drive, or take drugs, or engage in other types of thrill-seeking behaviors. Routine things like that."
Given their respective backgrounds this does seem more like the sort of thing that Charles would say rather than Douglas. I'm not actually objecting as such, but given his post-apocalyptic upbringing and so forth ("He once followed dog tracks for four days across the desert, hoping to eat that mutt. He never found it.", etc) where exactly did this lot come from?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #65
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Given their respective backgrounds this does seem more like the sort of thing that Charles would say rather than Douglas. I'm not actually objecting as such, but given his post-apocalyptic upbringing and so forth ("He once followed dog tracks for four days across the desert, hoping to eat that mutt. He never found it.", etc) where exactly did this lot come from?
He's been jumping for a while. He has cultural adaptability, and they gave him a card that says 'private investigator' on it. It wasn't really his idea. He's merely working with what they already gave him.

His world was like this one once... this would be like me coming up with something if I was transported into Shakespeare's world. I might be able to come up with one sentence that makes sense, on the surface. But that's about it. If you want to give him a penalty of his fast-talk for trying this, that's fine, but I think this is covered by his Cultural Familiarity. We may just have different views on the character's background here (I think it's quite possible I'm not being consistent, as you suggest, but I'm not sure... it was always rather vague in my mind to start with).

Feel free to watch the fun ensue as he is questioned about something relating to technology.

(Also, Douglas's world is TL 6. They have a low population, but that's still pretty high-tech, all things considered. They would have cars and insurance agencies and all that jazz (literally). I've been thinking of him as being from something akin to Chandler's Los Angeles, technology wise, from his first two novels, only not a place nearly as populated, and with the large population centers being quite spread out--Douglas having not spent much time in one.)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #66
Totem

Quote:
He's been jumping for a while. He has cultural adaptability, and they gave him a card that says 'private investigator' on it. It wasn't really his idea. He's merely working with what they already gave him.

His world was like this one once... this would be like me coming up with something if I was transported into Shakespeare's world. I might be able to come up with one sentence that makes sense, on the surface. But that's about it. If you want to give him a penalty of his fast-talk for trying this, that's fine, but I think this is covered by his Cultural Familiarity. We may just have different views on the character's background here (I think it's quite possible I'm not being consistent, as you suggest, but I'm not sure... it was always rather vague in my mind to start with).
I figured it would be something like that. It still seems a bit abrupt for him, but as a one-off blag it looks fine.

Quote:
Feel free to watch the fun ensue as he is questioned about something relating to technology.
Oh, so tempting... How does he react in general to technology? I'm guessing he's past the point of instantly assuming that it's some kind of magic, but... We're going to be going places with big tech (the Western Harbour is TL^ at least for instance, whilst other places are high tech as well), so how does he react to such things? How do any of the characters react to such things?

Quote:
I've been thinking of him as being from something akin to Chandler's Los Angeles, technology wise, from his first two novels, only not a place nearly as populated, and with the large population centers being quite spread out--Douglas having not spent much time in one.
Chandler's Los Angeles? Sorry, I'm lost on that one. On the other hand I'm looking for new reading material, so what books are these?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #67
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Chandler's Los Angeles? Sorry, I'm lost on that one. On the other hand I'm looking for new reading material, so what books are these?
Raymond Chandler, only the most superest-duperest prose writer of all time.

His novels are about a wise-cracking PI named Philip Marlowe, and the first two are set right at the end of TL 6 (Hell, Douglas may have even read them).

Chandler's second novel (Farewell, My Lovely), is my second favorite novel (a very close second, I might add--Snow Crash very narrowly edges it out).

Quote:
Oh, so tempting... How does he react in general to technology?
Just fine when he knows that's what it is.

Maybe he needs something like Detect Technology (Psi, -10%) [?].

I think that would be kind of amusing.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #68
Talosian

Quote:
How do any of the characters react to such things?
In Seann's case? More or less like a kid in a toy shop.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #69
Totem

Quote:
Raymond Chandler, only the most superest-duperest prose writer of all time.

His novels are about a wise-cracking PI named Philip Marlowe, and the first two are set right at the end of TL 6 (Hell, Douglas may have even read them).
This sounds annoying familiar from somewhere, though I'd swear I've never read them... BBC have done some radio adaptations, so I might have picked one up there.

Quote:
Just fine when he knows that's what it is.

Maybe he needs something like Detect Technology (Psi, -10%) [?].

I think that would be kind of amusing.
Could be interesting certainly. It would probably come out as Detect (Technology; common 20; Psi -10%) [18] unless you applied further modifiers to flesh it out further. The common rating is based on TL8 as the campaign standard. Further refinement of the TL might reduce the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
In Seann's case? More or less like a kid in a toy shop.
Oh dear... It's going to be interesting seeing people's reactions to the Western Harbour once we get there...
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #70
ErhnamDJ

OOC thread :)

Quote:
Seann was pretending though. Douglas started shooting, which is what really bothered Seann.
Well, that was the result of a long chain of events that did not unfold in his favor. What was he to do? They had him surrounded. And Gabrielle was there too. He had to protect her (Sense of Duty).

That's all the shooting he's done. And we got some valuable intel out of that. We didn't know they couldn't die.

We had been told that, "Chu'dam can't enhance his followers physically, so he wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight."

Douglas was working on faulty intelligence.

He was also told: "Go with what you think is best. I just ask that you don't get each other into trouble that you aren't all willing to deal with."

He got Gabrielle into trouble, so he had to deal with it.

Anyway, the chance to get Guy's phone was too big an opportunity to pass up.

Quote:
Also, Seann really is a brain type character, so he generally prefers careful plans that are well executed, with everything working out. Douglas has smashed a couple attempts at/opportunities for more subtle plans already, mostly by blowing their cover.
The thing to point out here, I think, is that Douglas is incredibly confused about what's going on. He doesn't know anything about demons. He knows some dude is spreading a disease that 'you can live with,' which he can only conflate with polio. Which is a pretty heinous thing to spread around.

Also, he doesn't care about being conspicuous. He can burn his bridges on this world, because he doesn't have any intentions of staying here, or even ever coming back.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire