Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Balor Patch

Default [DF] Trolls regenerated

The basic Troll in DF3 doesn't seem to have a growth path to the Trolls in either DFM1 or Banestorm and I choose to regard this as a problem to be fixed. However, the points aren't coming quite even, are there some suggestions for the SOMETHINGs?

Basic troll [-50]x
Advantages [50]: Breath Holding 2 [4]; "Likes Children" [-1]; Long Arms [10]; Regeneration (Regular; Not vs. Fire or Acid, -20%) [20]; Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3) [10]; Teeth (Sharp) [1]; Universal Digestion [5];
Disadvantages [-98]: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Bloodlust (12) [-10]; Curiousity (12) [-5]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]; Vulnerability
(Fire x2) [-30]; Vulnerability (Heat and dehydration FP x2) [-30]; SOMETHING [-1];

Maggots-for-brains Lens [50]x
Attributes [52]; ST+8 [72]; IQ-1 [-20];
Advantages [3]: Gigantism [0]; SOMETHING [3];
Disadvantages [-5]: Loner [-5];

Snoopy Troll Lens [50]
Attributes [10]: Per+2 [10]
Advantages [33]: Breath Holding 3 [+2 to 6]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Discriminatory Smell [15];
Skills [8]: Observation [1]; Swiming [1]; Survival (Riparian) [1]; Tracking [1]; Traps [4];

Troll Witch Lens [50] (Thank you Homebrew Monster thread)
Advantages [57]: Appearance (Attractive, NOT Ugly) [12]; Awe 0 [30]; Empathy [10]; Flexible [5];
Disadvantages [-15]: Lecherous (12) [-15];
Skills [8]: Cooking [1]; Erotic Art [1]; Physician [1]; Physiology (Human) [1]; Sex-Appeal [4];

Unkillable Troll Lens [50]x
Advantages [60]: IT: IBP (Detachable Head +15%, Reattachment only -50%) [23]; Recovery [10]; Regeneration (Fast; Not vs. Fire or Acid, -20%) [+20 to 40]; Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+8) [+5 to 15]; SOMETHING [2]; Disadvantages [-10]: Gluttony (12) [-10];
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
chandley

Default Re: [DF] Trolls regenerated

Basic Troll: "Likes Children" [-1] should move down to Quirks :).

For Maggots-for-Brains, No Brain [5], Third-person [-1] and Staid [-1] might suit for your SOMETHING [3].

Unkillable Troll Lens: No Unkillable 2 (Achilles Heel: Fire or Acid -50%)? I also added Mana Sensitive -10% to Unkillable 2, Independent Body Parts (and didnt use Reattachment only, as the inspirational story for these trolls definitely had the lopped off parts fighting on their own), and the price difference for Regeneration (Fast).

I have a "playable" Troll template for DF here if you would like to use if for inspiration. I like the idea of giving the trolls in DF 3 a power ups path that turns them into the DFM1 trolls.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Balor Patch

I was trying to keep the lenses to [50] and couldn't do a serious Unkillable in budget. Another lens or two for power-ups would definately be appropriate.

Looking at yours, I like the "raised by" section. I'll read it in detail when I'm home.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
The basic Troll in DF3 doesn't seem to have a growth path to the Trolls in either DFM1 or Banestorm and I choose to regard this as a problem to be fixed.
Heh. The DFM1 trolls are my trolls from my campaign, as adapted from the 1st edition GURPS fantasy ones and then adapted again into 4e. They aren't the same as the DF3 or Banestorm trolls. So they grow into them about as easily as birds grow into dinosaurs - you can see the relation, or the name similarity, but they aren't the same species.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Anthony

I was pondering the option of 125 point racial packages, that are designed to go with the 125 point templates in DF15, and possibly also 250 point templates that are intended to be a playable character as written. Trolls seem like a fairly natural option for one of those two.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Balor Patch

I recognize the different origins but the DF3 ones seemed furthest out while still referencing the others, and also being the ones most likely to be played. I also enjoyed Mailanka's take and wanted it in the mix.

I get the impression that people start or join campaigns across a wide enough range that big racial templates shouldn't be a real problem. Mixing half-spirits with non-humans (not in the books but obvious) can already take you over [135]. We also already have [250] Dwarf and Elf templates from Pyramid, which might be interesting to contrast with a real playable racial template.

Tags
dungeon fantasy 3, troll