Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
PBarone714

Default Legendary gunner

Regarding the 6 point Legend Gunner from the basic set, he has a Talent that says "When this gunner attacks, add two stars." Do those two stars apply only to vehicular weapons or do they get added to both vehicular AND hand weapons, such as the hand cannon and the assault rifle as well? The Reality Check says that his talent should only apply to his vehicular weapons
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #2
powellhall

Default Re: Legendary gunner

If the text doesn’t specify, then the bonus applies to all attacks.
powellhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #3
Thomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
The Reality Check says that his talent should only apply to his vehicular weapons
I guess that legends are not bound to reality checks :)
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:33 AM   #4
PBarone714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I guess that legends are not bound to reality checks :)
LOL! I suppose not! However, I still insist that Car Wars drivers can NOT operate an assault rifle while driving and operating vehicular weapons. I also insist that the driver can only fire sidearms out of his driver side window and that the gunner may only shoot his sidearm out of his gunner side window. Otherwise, the gunner trying to shoot his sidearm out of the driver's window would have good odds of hitting the driver and vice versa!!!
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
powellhall

The game is set up so that either crew member can control the car, freeing the other one to fire weapons.
For “reality’s.“ sake, I can imagine offset driver and gunner seats so they can easily Fire out each side of the vehicle. I would also imagine that the “windows” in these futuristic dueling machines are more like instant opening/closing Gun ports.

While executed a tight turn in an effort to bring the vehicles front HMGs to bear, both left gun-ports slammed open so that Medusa and Machette could soften up the target with their Killstreak rifles.
powellhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:09 AM   #6
Thomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
LOL! I suppose not! However, I still insist that Car Wars drivers can NOT operate an assault rifle while driving and operating vehicular weapons. I also insist that the driver can only fire sidearms out of his driver side window and that the gunner may only shoot his sidearm out of his gunner side window. Otherwise, the gunner trying to shoot his sidearm out of the driver's window would have good odds of hitting the driver and vice versa!!!
Well for me I assume that the game just works on a high level of abstaction. So, basically, usually only the person who is sitting on the correct side fires the weapon, but when there are two people in the car that person can fire more accurately or more often, so they are allowed two shots.

When they are firing from the drivers side, it may even be that the gunner is taking over the wheel from the side, while the driver is firing the weapon.

Their abilities do not just reflect their personal abilities but also the benefit when they are working in a team, so on the bottom line, the rules simulate their teamwork by allowing every one of them to make one attack, even if it is only one person firing.

This view is somehow supported by the buid rules, which allow both crew members to fire all weapons available to them.

But honestly, I can completely understand your problem with imagining that.

Looking at it from a game balance standpoint, especially for the smaller cars, the sidearms are essential, since you cannot afford to equip your cars with reasonable weaponery on your side arcs.

To reduce the abstaction and make the result a little bit more reasonable, you may indeed rule that only one crewmember may fire during a turn, but that crew member is allowed to fire twice.

Either the gunner to the right side, or the driver to left side and that the driver may only use the hand cannon. This won't change game balance much. You would have less fire power to your left, but a little more to the right. This could even add a fun tactical component, since you have to maneuver differently.

Last edited by Thomson; 07-09-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

They are all capable operators, but drivers are better at driving, and gunners are more skilled with weaponry.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...rom-lhd-to-rhd

Perhaps they just throw the wheel back and forth as they go. :)
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
PresidentTwoeagles

Think of it that the driver and gunner are like a pilot/RIO in a fighter jet, sitting tandem. The driver is the pilot, the gunner is the RIO. They can both use sidearms effectively, but the gunner/RIO can't really see out the front window very well, so driving for them is harder :)
Old 07-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
Perhaps they just throw the wheel back and forth as they go. :)
There are airplanes from the WW2 era which did exactly that....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #10
HeatDeath

I remember that sight gag in a Bugs Bunny cartoon that took place in an unnamed but still quite distinctive 50's era heavy bomber.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carwars, gunner