Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: Coming back to GURPS... and I could really use a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
* I'm unfamiliar with the Outer Worlds setting you describe, but my own experience with running very high TL space is that GURPS doesn't handle it well: you have a syndrome where the weapons are so potent and the ultra-tech armor so good that either a target's unharmed or he's flash fried, and problems are solved with widgets, not with wits or tactics. (By contrast, GURPS handles a Firefly campaign just dandy.)
Aside from lasers with their automatic fire, low low recoil, and insane accuracy, weapon damage at high TLs isn't that bad if you use UT - it's in much the same range as modern guns (and thus also the guns of the 19th century). If there's a problem, it's with the damage of guns in GURPS, period.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #12
mr beer

I used to have the problem of lengthy combats. The solution I found was to simply have monsters "die" at 0HP rather than go through the whole HT check routine. Boss monsters hang around below 0HP, as do characters but everything else just drops off. It sped things up remarkably.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I used to have the problem of lengthy combats. The solution I found was to simply have monsters "die" at 0HP rather than go through the whole HT check routine. Boss monsters hang around below 0HP, as do characters but everything else just drops off. It sped things up remarkably.
Good advice. If you feel the PCs are winning too easily, you can let the "0hp" mooks continue until the next hit (regardless of damage) and have them fail any defence. Maybe gives them 1 or 2 extra rounds depending on the PC's skill levels and rolls, but generally easy to just let them fall down.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #14
sjard
Stick in the Mud

My two cents: For whatever you end up using, maybe have a higher malfuction rate for most weapons. After all "You've tried the best, now try the rest. It's not the Best Choice, it's Spacer's Choice!"

Edit: For those unaware, The Outer Worlds is a video game (by Obsidian Entertainment), where it's all over the top consumerism/capitalism of the Marx Brother's sort.

For a short, music video capsule of the setting... Miracle of Sound - Payday youtube video.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 08-28-2021 at 08:43 PM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #15
madickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post

Second. No matter how many times I've worked with character generation, I've always ended up chasing the rabbit down an infinite hole and ended up pulling out a freak of nature that resembles nothing like that which I'd originally sought. In future endeavors, I plan on creating templates and lenses to be used exclusively by both me and my players. That said: What are some ways you most experiences GMs (and players) avoid the infinite draw that is GURPS and all of its creative capabilities?
I, of course, agree with much of what others have said above.
I think an oft-overlooked resource is the GURPS Trait Sorter at http://www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/sorter/
After my current D&D campaign ends, and my group tries out GURPS, I plan to use the sorter to help keep my players (and, honestly, myself) from getting overwhelmed by the number of options.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:48 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post

No matter how many times I've worked with character generation, I've always ended up chasing the rabbit down an infinite hole and ended up pulling out a freak of nature that resembles nothing like that which I'd originally sought. In future endeavours, I plan on creating templates and lenses to be used exclusively by both me and my players. That said: What are some ways you most experiences GMs (and players) avoid the infinite draw that is GURPS and all of its creative capabilities?
My usual filter for this is plausibility: "Does this make sense for fairly ordinary people?" That lets you trim character generation back a long way, and avoid the strange loops of optimisation that lead to freaks of nature.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:28 AM   #17
FF_Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
For a short, music video capsule of the setting... Miracle of Sound - Payday youtube video.
I will see your song and raise you the reason I've been so inspired to make an Outer Worlds styled campaign (and my wife's ringtone): The Fine Print - Stupendium

I. Get. Chills. It hits about the same as We All Lift Together from Warframe.

Last edited by FF_Ninja; 08-29-2021 at 05:33 AM.
FF_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #18
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think my advice is going to differ from some of what you've already been given. It may or may not work for you. It's how I run (and occasionally play) GURPS, and it works for me.
I think we are very similar in our GM approach though I'm going to avoid hit locations until I feel like I'm missing them. I am going to play fantasy so I might change my tune as you do based upon any future genre I try.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #19
FF_Ninja

I sent some of you folks DMs, responses to DMs, or emails via the drop-down. Hopefully, some of them got through.

I super appreciate everything you guys have been doing for me here. It's been really inspirational!
FF_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #20
Running Wolf

You just have to remember that at it's core GURPS is a 3d6 roll under mechanic. That's the game right there, everything else if icing on the cake.

If you have the PDF or a scanner on your printer print out the pages or sections that give you the most grief so that you have them handy. One of the reasons I like PDFs and having my laptop handy (to search).

You set the crunchy volume on the dial. I'm not into fantasy so don't know squat about the magic system.... but just about every other "basic subsystem" (characters, skills, combat, vehicles) have a no frills option/Plain Jane version. If you're bringing in people unfamiliar to the system you can straight up say the first few sessions will be getting the rudimentary aspects of combat down and then "we can add on more complex rules over the next few sessions?" That way it isn't complete mental overload :).

I know I've seen a combat flowchart around. Might help to Google for handy bits like that. I'm all for having a collection of GM & player aids like that. Index card sized card stock of combat stuff like cover bonus, darkness, ect. Plus if you make a house rule or judgement call on something you can write on the back of it and update it for the next game session. It also helps if new players join the game or if your players aren't used to a system :).

I'm not an expert, just telling you some stuff that works for me. Take what I say with a grain of salt, your mileage may vary.

Index cards - great for short blurb of an NPC, town, ship, ect (name, quirk, personality, ect). Make a few up every week and just file them with your game stuff. When you need a landmark, ship, or random NPC you have one that's at least a little bit more than pulled out of your butt :). Minimal effort when you're vegging and you have something to improve off of at the table.
Running Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, assistance needed, grognard, returning, storyteller