Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2022, 02:09 AM   #111
Witchking

Default Re: [Spaceships] Million Merchant Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
This same history prevents them from sending peacekeepers.
Historian me disagrees.

It is simpler than that.

Sending peacekeepers has no use when there is little desire for peace and thus little peace to keep.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:43 AM   #112
Anthony

Quote:
Providing it cheaply and quickly however almost certainly does.
You just subsidize the clean options so they're cheaper. This does cost the advanced nations some money, but it's laughably small compared to the cost of terraforming anything.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #113
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Historian me disagrees.

It is simpler than that.

Sending peacekeepers has no use when there is little desire for peace and thus little peace to keep.
I'd argue that there are also other reasons, but I was trying to make a point about relations between Europe and Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You just subsidize the clean options so they're cheaper. This does cost the advanced nations some money, but it's laughably small compared to the cost of terraforming anything.
Subsidizing clean waste disposal is problematic, and more so in another country, if it's even a thing, but supply chain management means that factories making things for Western markets do have to follow proper procedures and not just stuff barrels full of toxic waste in a public park.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:01 PM   #114
TGLS

Quote:
Subsidizing clean waste disposal is problematic, and more so in another country.
Not that problematic. Pay the polluters to ship the waste to you and then dispose of it properly. It's like backwards plastic recycling.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:03 AM   #115
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Not that problematic. Pay the polluters to ship the waste to you and then dispose of it properly. It's like backwards plastic recycling.
That's not going to work out. Even when dealing with an internal market this would cause HUGE problems. An external one? Where the the internal market has to pay for it? For something that it isn't viewed as a problem for the people who would have to pay for? Not going to happen.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:33 AM   #116
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

So they won't invest mere millions or billions in African enterprises because there's no immediate benefit to them, but they will invest trillions of trillions on building giant space mirrors to liquify the Venusisn atmosphere in 70 years?

I doubt it's your intent, but the obvious explanation for this would seem to be because there aren't any Africans on Venus.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, terraforming