Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
Plane

Default High HP and Testicle Grab

Fairbarn 15 talks about applying progressive Irritating Conditions (B428) derived from the amount of injury inflicted by this technique. They don't actually mention how long the penalties last.

I assume this was written based on the assumption of your average HP 10 human, so would it make sense to scale this for high-HP giants where it's 10% for moderate, 20% for severe, 30% for terrible?

Since each tier is -2 penalties, it actually seems like we could do finer control and make it -1 per 5% lost HP. This type of fine-tuning would be a lot more important for calculating penalties on Low Pain Threshold, less so when HPT is halving them.

I've already seen this done w/ Cole's introduction of a "Mild Pain" in Pyramid 120

If we look at the Affliction enhancement costs on B36 this is like a +10% per -1, with the traditional mod/sev/ter being 2/4/6 levels of a leveled enhancement.

Agony's +100% cost as an incapacitating condition actually seems like it should then be 10 levels and require 50% lost HP instead of the 40% lost HP that Fairbairn assigns. Does that seem reasonable?

I was wondering, in the sense that Technical Grappling eliminated "pinned" as a concept (instead you just soft-cap via ST and DX penalties) if in approaching "leveled pain" if we should actually just eliminate agony altogether?

Instead maybe some of the concepts of Agony could be extrapolated to lower levels. This can be done by looking at how all of them function against someone with High Pain Threshold. Agony+HPT is -3, which is what you'd get from halving the -6 from Terrible Pain, so the +40% difference between these actually seems to be based on how it inflicts a progressive FP loss on someone with HPT.

The FP loss appears to be same between normal people and someone with HPT, whereas LPT doubles the FP loss. So there isn't exactly a match between your usual 4:2:1 ratios between L:N:H thresholds. I would think if it's 1FP/min for high it should be 2 FP/min normally and 4 FP/min for LowPT

The bonus to Interrogation/Intimidation seems to match the HPT penalty. This applies after the pain stops if someone threatens to do it again - there should probably be some kind of duration there before the bonus eventually fades, what seems reasonable?

In regard to automatic incapacitations:
1) the automatic falling from a standing/seated position might be approximated through the growing DX penalties

2) moaning/screaming could be approximated through growing IQ (and thus Will) penalties - the mechanic from LPT about crying out in pain at injury (B142 a will roll if 'more than 1' point of injury) might be made into a more general rule
Wondering also how these ideas would interact with Pyramid 120's Conditional Injury system. As far as I can tell from page 34, the implication may be that irritation:pain persists until HP is recovered.

There's ability to temporarily suppress it via a Concentrate Maneuver (make a HT roll) where success lasts "until combat ends" or "until injured again". These are absolute hardcaps I'd like to see softcap options for, since 'what is combat' isn't always clear, plus bigger followup injuries might have an easier time of ruining your pain-suppression

If using a "tiers of -1" system for pain, the HT roll used to determine pain in Conditional Injury might also have more MoS specific reactions. The basics are that failure by 1 = "pain appropriate to injury" whereas success by 0 = reduced by 1. Since the difference between mild/moderate is -1 and -2, it seems like you could just do something along the lines of every MoS/MoF adjusts by -1 increments from the baseline.

Tags
conditional injury, pain threshold, testicle grab