Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS Shotguns Weaker at Close Range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
In terms of a quick and simply GURPS solution I'd be tempted to make trees homogenous
That's not a 'quick and simple solution', that's 'bare minimum rules execution'.
Quote:
To get more detailed I'd have to start thinking about tree botany and how Unliving, DR, IT*, homogeneous all might apply to it, and I hated botany ;-0
You can't stack Unliving and Homogeneous, they're mutually exclusive alternative forms of Injury Tolerance.

You can add Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction on top of either, but I'm not sure that's actually helpful for modeling this.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That's not a 'quick and simple solution', that's 'bare minimum rules execution'.
yes

Quote:
You can't stack Unliving and Homogeneous, they're mutually exclusive alternative forms of Injury Tolerance.

You can add Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction on top of either, but I'm not sure that's actually helpful for modeling this.
I wasn't talking abut stacking them? I was talking about looking at a few likely GURPS rules thet might potentially apply when trying to model trees as a living organism and collection of tissues and their resistance to physical trauma of different types
Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I wasn't talking abut stacking them? I was talking about looking at a few likely GURPS rules thet might potentially apply when trying to model trees as a living organism and collection of tissues and their resistance to physical trauma of different types
So you were proposing that trees should perhaps be demoted from Homogeneous?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #34
Varyon

Quote:
To get more detailed I'd have to start thinking about tree botany and how Unliving, DR, IT*, homogeneous all might apply to it, and I hated botany ;-0

[...]

*or whatever the advantage that aversion of resistance where you apply a divisor to damage (think it's in powers)?
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction, typically abbreviated IT:DR. Armor divisors should arguably apply against it when trees are involved (AP ammo should punch through tree cover more readily than FMJ), which isn't normally the case for IT:DR. A variant of it, which I call Injury Tolerance: Armored Flesh (IT:AF), would work rather well here. IT:DR is effectively [25] per level (RAW you have to buy two levels to start it off, for base [50] for an injury divisor of 2, but I don't see why you couldn't get an injury divisor of 1.5 for [25]), while IT:AF is effectively [15] per level. Armor divisors apply against the injury divisor, to a minimum of 1 (so IT:AF 3, for 1/3 injury, would be reduced to 2/3 injury by an attack with armor divisor (2), for example). IT:AF also increases the amount of Cover DR you grant, which isn't normally the case for IT:DR.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #35
Tomsdad

Quote:
So you were proposing that trees should perhaps be demoted from Homogeneous?
are they already homogeneous? Cool problem solved then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction, typically abbreviated IT:DR.
That's the one cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Armor divisors should arguably apply against it when trees are involved (AP ammo should punch through tree cover more readily than FMJ), which isn't normally the case for IT:DR. A variant of it, which I call Injury Tolerance: Armored Flesh (IT:AF), would work rather well here. IT:DR is effectively [25] per level (RAW you have to buy two levels to start it off, for base [50] for an injury divisor of 2, but I don't see why you couldn't get an injury divisor of 1.5 for [25]), while IT:AF is effectively [15] per level. Armor divisors apply against the injury divisor, to a minimum of 1 (so IT:AF 3, for 1/3 injury, would be reduced to 2/3 injury by an attack with armor divisor (2), for example). IT:AF also increases the amount of Cover DR you grant, which isn't normally the case for IT:DR.
cool, cheers
Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #36
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
are they already homogeneous? Cool problem solved then!
That would be why I called it "bare minimum rules execution".

Which, considering that I already knew that when I made my first post, might suggest something about whether I think it solves the problem.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
Tomsdad

Quote:
That would be why I called it "bare minimum rules execution".

Which, considering that I already knew that when I made my first post, might suggest something about whether I think it solves the problem.
Ah OK got what you mean, I didn't know trees were already homogeneous so when you posted "bare minimum rules execution" in response to my suggestion to use homogeneous as a "simple solution" I took your meaning to be that the homogeneous rule was in and of itself a "bare minimum rules execution" rather than making trees homogeneous was a "bare minimum rules execution".

i.e. I didn't know that, and since you 1st post didn't mention it I didn't know you knew it either ;-)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-07-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple projectiles, rapid fire