Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
vitruvian

Default Re: [Basic] [Powers] Supernatural Durability, Deconstruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
I think Supernatural Durability is to represent those movie monsters that just won't go down. Period. Until somebody uses the Sword of Invincible Monster Slaying, anyway. Such monsters don't pass out regardless of the damage they've taken (and if they do "pass out," it's just a ruse), so not having to make those annoying Stay Conscious rolls seems appropriate.
Is that what's actually meant by 'knockout' in 4e, though? It certainly wasn't in 3e.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Is that what's actually meant by 'knockout' in 4e, though? It certainly wasn't in 3e.
If you passed out at -HP, that would hardly count as "shaking off most wounds."
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Are we sure about these? The advantage writeup says you're immune to knockout, which AFAIK is a term only used for unconsciousness rolls due to taking a major wound or any damage to the head or vitals. I don't think that rolling to stay conscious below 0 HP is ever referred to as knockout, and therefore SD wouldn't make you immune to it, nor to Afflictions of unconsciousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead

Does Supernatural Durability include immunity to unconsciousness rolls at 0HP or less?
As it says, ". . . you are completely immune to shock, physical stun, and knockout" (emphasis mine). So the answer is yes.
However I wouldn't use Immunity to Unconsciousness [30] I'd use Immunity to Unconsciousness from injury [15], Because Immunity to Unconsciousness would make you immune to Aflictions, drugs, poisons, spells, etc, that cause Unconsciousness. And I don't see anything saying that Supernatural Durability does this.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Ability to not die past -10×HP, instead of self-resurrecting.
With Cosmic, Does Not Fall Unconscious at -(HPx10) you aren't forced to fall Unconscious at -(HPx10), and with Immunity to Unconsciousness from injury you don't need to worry about rolling so you can remain active at -(HPx10).

However that does raise another limitation: Injury not capped at -(HPx10), I'd guess -10% to -15%?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
However that does raise another limitation: Injury not capped at -(HPx10), I'd guess -10% to -15%?
Other than raising time-to-positive-HP, I don't see how that is a limitation that actually limits the advantage or character.

If it is to be treated as a limitation, then it shouldn't be worth more than (Temporary Disadvantage: Slow Healing X, -5% per X), with X being determined by how far into the hole you can go before we just stop counting. (So, HPx20: X = 1. HPx40: X = 2. HPx80: X = 3. Etc.)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
Bruno

The fact that your foes CAN significantly delay recovery by boiling your body in liquid iron or something is, at least for Unkillable, a significant limitation.

Heck, five minutes in a modest bonfire doing 1d-1/second ~=750 damage. That's a HUGE delay on healing, especially if you don't Regenerate.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The fact that your foes CAN significantly delay recovery by boiling your body in liquid iron or something is, at least for Unkillable, a significant limitation.

Heck, five minutes in a modest bonfire doing 1d-1/second ~=750 damage. That's a HUGE delay on healing, especially if you don't Regenerate.
So: (Injury Cap, -HPx10x240, -50%)? Giving a max negative HP (assuming HP 10) of -102 400, which should be sufficiently negative enough for us to stop recording further damage?

Summarized as (No Max Injury Sustained, -50%)?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Other than raising time-to-positive-HP, I don't see how that is a limitation that actually limits the advantage or character.

If it is to be treated as a limitation, then it shouldn't be worth more than (Temporary Disadvantage: Slow Healing X, -5% per X), with X being determined by how far into the hole you can go before we just stop counting. (So, HPx20: X = 1. HPx40: X = 2. HPx80: X = 3. Etc.)
But with Supernatural Durability you never stop counting, that's the point!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
But with Supernatural Durability you never stop counting, that's the point!
Theoretically. In practice, there is a limit to how far into the hole the GM is going to keep track of before saying, "Beyond this damage, you will never get back into positive HP."

I'd set the limit at -73 000, given a 100-year lifespan and healing up to 2 HP per day ... :) If they have regeneration or a longer lifespan, then I'd modify the max negative never-going-to-see-positive-HP-again number accordingly.

(Which I'd price as (Max Injury Sustained Cap, up to -102 400 HP, -50%).)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
So:
  • Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones) (Positive HP Only, -X%) [?]*
    • * -X% probably should be around -40%, for a [6] value on the advantage.
Doesn't protect eyes and someone with Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones) can still have their hands and feet crippled before 0 HP. Also I don't think IT:UB protects the new hit locations in MA.

Quote:
  • Resistant (Very Common) (Immunity) to Unconsciousness [30]
SD won't protect you from Afflictions, drugs, poisons, spells, etc, that cause Unconsciousness, so that should be Resistant (Common) (Immunity) to Unconsciousness from injury [15]

Quote:
  • Unkillable 2 (Achilles' Heel: Occasional (Damage exceeding (HPx10) from Single Attack), -30%) (Achilles' Heel: Occasional (TBD), -30%) (Cosmic, Does Not Fall Unconscious at -(HPx10), +50%) [90]
Unkillable 2 includes a form of Regrowth {Regrowth (Unkillable Only -40%) [24] so maybe no regrowth would be -24%??}, Supernatural Durability doesn't have this.

Tags
supernatural durability