Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #831
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
(When first introduced, I stated he was in a robe, so yeah; it grabbed onto the robe or something, I assume)
You turned up in a robe to start with. Since then it's been at least one full mission, plus over a month. Yes, the robe can be repaired at the Western Harbour, but it can also be traded for other clothing. I have to check.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #832
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
You turned up in a robe to start with. Since then it's been at least one full mission, plus over a month. Yes, the robe can be repaired at the Western Harbour, but it can also be traded for other clothing. I have to check.
I understand. I just haven't stated any changes since then and can't in good faith make changes now that it matters.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #833
Lamech

GHAA! Poorly timed power outage combined with Travel time hit me hard! Getting back to IC stuff now.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #834
momothefiddler

Quote:
Just to confirm: Jacob and Sam don't have any kind of Jumper ability; they will need a lift as well.
Quote:
he remembers Michael mentioning in passing the available escape options and the fact that the world that you came through to get here was uninhabitable.
If I'm not mistaken, both of these concerns are addressed by Jorin's particular form of worldjumping - Jumper (World) (_Free; All-Out; Costs Fatigue (+4); Limited Jump (Five Worlds); Mana Sensitive; New Worlds; Takes Extra Time (3 minutes casting time) (+4); Tracking; Tunnel (forms before you jump)) [0]. The distance limitation of five worlds is enough to cover the three jumps back to Western Harbour, which we know is habitable, and the Tunnel(forms before you jump) allows others to go through ahead of him. Am I missing something?

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #835
Totem

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, both of these concerns are addressed by Jorin's particular form of worldjumping - Jumper (World) (_Free; All-Out; Costs Fatigue (+4); Limited Jump (Five Worlds); Mana Sensitive; New Worlds; Takes Extra Time (3 minutes casting time) (+4); Tracking; Tunnel (forms before you jump)) [0]. The distance limitation of five worlds is enough to cover the three jumps back to Western Harbour, which we know is habitable, and the Tunnel(forms before you jump) allows others to go through ahead of him. Am I missing something?
"Limited Jump (Five Worlds)"? The Western Harbour has warships that can't void-steer that well... How exactly did I manage to let that one through?

Okay, apparently I did. Clearly not paying attention because... Wow. Okay, time to blag a bit.

Five Worlds will be fine. Modifiers for this (owing to the 'geography' and so forth) would have to include Jorin's understanding of the actual distance involved (for instance that you had to make three jumps to get here in the car doesn't necessarily mean that it would be five jumps for Jorin to get back if the car was capable of void-steering as well), his caution regarding the fact that you've got a roughly 60% chance of jumping straight into the Blazen's universe if it goes off course, how clear he is on the fact that the Western Harbour itself (his nominal target) is a good few light minutes away from the geographic location that he would be aiming for on a planet, and so forth. So, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #836
momothefiddler

Quote:
"Limited Jump (Five Worlds)"? The Western Harbour has warships that can't void-steer that well... How exactly did I manage to let that one through?

Okay, apparently I did. Clearly not paying attention because... Wow. Okay, time to blag a bit.

Five Worlds will be fine. Modifiers for this (owing to the 'geography' and so forth) would have to include Jorin's understanding of the actual distance involved (for instance that you had to make three jumps to get here in the car doesn't necessarily mean that it would be five jumps for Jorin to get back if the car was capable of void-steering as well), his caution regarding the fact that you've got a roughly 60% chance of jumping straight into the Blazen's universe if it goes off course, how clear he is on the fact that the Western Harbour itself (his nominal target) is a good few light minutes away from the geographic location that he would be aiming for on a planet, and so forth. So, nothing out of the ordinary.
I can change the Jumper as necessary, if you want. It hasn't been used yet and is free anyway, so there's no real need to keep it as-is if it's a problem.

The safety contingency on Jumper would prevent a jump into Blazen territory, one of the dead worlds on the way here, or empty space, right? That doesn't fix the issue with the normal distance between WH and the counterpart of wherever we are, which could still leave us stranded on some planet in the same universe.

Hm.

Well, given the safety, it'd probably end up better to be stranded on a planet than to spend the night here, but ideally we still want to get near a window so we can just 'port out.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #837
Totem

Quote:
I can change the Jumper as necessary, if you want. It hasn't been used yet and is free anyway, so there's no real need to keep it as-is if it's a problem.

The safety contingency on Jumper would prevent a jump into Blazen territory, one of the dead worlds on the way here, or empty space, right? That doesn't fix the issue with the normal distance between WH and the counterpart of wherever we are, which could still leave us stranded on some planet in the same universe.

Hm.

Well, given the safety, it'd probably end up better to be stranded on a planet than to spend the night here, but ideally we still want to get near a window so we can just 'port out.
I'm going to need to recheck everyone's at this point... The other thing that you might want to watch for (remembered after finishing the previous post) is whether stuff can be pulled through this tunnel as well as being pushed; you know, the saying about a door once opened being stepped through in either direction. Basically, if you connected to a world with no air, you'd immediately have explosive decompression through the tunnel. Likewise, a world with a high pressure atmosphere (or one that was underwater) would start to blow back through the tunnel as well.

I'd allow a safety modifier for avoiding something completely lethal like the Blazen's universe (let's face it, if you connected there then it's basically the same as them opening a CVE back the other way). I'll also allow it for "there's no planet there at all." Beyond that it's hitting in at too much of a high-valve Cosmic modifier for a free ability, and it's just going to be one of the disadvantages associated with using a Tunnel-based Jumper ability.

Other options for escaping are still open.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #838
momothefiddler

Quote:
I'm going to need to recheck everyone's at this point... The other thing that you might want to watch for (remembered after finishing the previous post) is whether stuff can be pulled through this tunnel as well as being pushed; you know, the saying about a door once opened being stepped through in either direction. Basically, if you connected to a world with no air, you'd immediately have explosive decompression through the tunnel. Likewise, a world with a high pressure atmosphere (or one that was underwater) would start to blow back through the tunnel as well.

I'd allow a safety modifier for avoiding something completely lethal like the Blazen's universe (let's face it, if you connected there then it's basically the same as them opening a CVE back the other way). I'll also allow it for "there's no planet there at all." Beyond that it's hitting in at too much of a high-valve Cosmic modifier for a free ability, and it's just going to be one of the disadvantages associated with using a Tunnel-based Jumper ability.

Other options for escaping are still open.
I didn't mean an additional modifier. I was referring to the core ability, where it says "If there is no corresponding “safe” location within 100 yards of your destination – for instance, if you jump while on an airplane to a destination with no plane at your location, or from a half-mile deep mine to a destination with no corresponding mine – the jump will fail and you will know why it failed." (B64) If you mean to add in a Limitation that keeps that from being the case, that is of course fine, since it hasn't been used and has no point value, but at that point I will immediately rein in my casual use - even theoretical use - of the ability.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #839
Totem

Quote:
I didn't mean an additional modifier. I was referring to the core ability, where it says "If there is no corresponding “safe” location within 100 yards of your destination – for instance, if you jump while on an airplane to a destination with no plane at your location, or from a half-mile deep mine to a destination with no corresponding mine – the jump will fail and you will know why it failed." (B64) If you mean to add in a Limitation that keeps that from being the case, that is of course fine, since it hasn't been used and has no point value, but at that point I will immediately rein in my casual use - even theoretical use - of the ability.
This is one of those things that GURPS rules doesn't immediately cover; the world-jumping setup does work on the assumption that there will always be a world there, even if the bit that you are aiming for isn't (such as a plane or mine). In this case as long as there is a world there with solid ground to land on, then the Jumper ability would work. To continue that paragraph though, "this does not prevent you from jumping into other types of danger, such as radiation, gunfire, or wild animals." At this point I'm going to need to go back to the low-TL disadvantage and point out that the concept of other worlds with such variety might be a tad different from Jorin's cultural expectations, which means that on some level he's not looking for them.

One of the things that I nearly suggested for Retalsk's gift was someone getting Clairvoyance with a World-Spanning modifier attached to it. That would have bypassed this issue by letting people check ahead... That was originally what I was expecting Michael to pick up since EricTheRed had been talking about something of that kind shortly before. Oh well.

Okay, I think the best I can do here, given that I'm having to build in rules around stuff that I wasn't really expecting people to use (let's face it, this Act is the first one where anyone has really tried and it's been about three years since the campaign kicked off), is the following (my final offer): Jumper will naturally protect you from universes that are blatantly dangerous to look at, as if you had managed to take a sneak peek at the landscape. So you can turn up on a world that has no air provided that it has a suitably quarry like appearance that it could legitimately be in a breathable atmosphere, but wouldn't turn up on it if there was a very close horizon making it obviously an asteroid. TL will have an impact here, for recognising potential hazards of this kind (like "wow, that sun's a bit bright, I'll get baked to a crisp if I go through there"), which you can assume that Jorin has the basics of (like telling the difference between a quarry and asteroid). Those basics will still allow him to jump into the world EricTheRed classified as AL12 (which has an atmosphere mostly composed of noble gases) and will not take into account things like animals or weather; for those, buy up Danger Sense (with, if necessary, some kind of modifier to limit it to just warning about threats at the far end of a jump in order to keep the cost down).
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #840
momothefiddler

That all seems quite fair to me. I'm sorry if I seemed hostile or nitpicky - that was not my intent.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire