Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #351
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
what about the universal technique on telereive? will that remove the species penalty? I believe michael has it bought all the way up.
Michael does have Universal. And this would translate things, but you're still back to relying on the symbology that is present, which is the Psychology issue. You'd have this issue even with Humans, since the Blazen aren't linking with specific surface thoughts and you're having to backtrack things to their source.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #352
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Note: next two places to spend points

1: pyschology
2: some technique or perk to recognize blazen in someone's mind.

These two seem to come up all of the time.

EDIT: oh, wow: it says that expert skill (Psionics) can act as Psychology "when dealing with psi phenomena in living beings". Can I use this to get some understanding on what the connection might be? (at -3 of course)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #353
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
EDIT: oh, wow: it says that expert skill (Psionics) can act as Psychology "when dealing with psi phenomena in living beings". Can I use this to get some understanding on what the connection might be? (at -3 of course)
Sounds plausible. You're at an additional penalty because you're using telepathy to analyse a non-psi-related issue (figure -2 for the difference).
Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #354
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Is Smith up for this? Remember, he probably doesn't know for certain what Michael is capable of, and so he might just think that Michael is lumbering him with the hard work or something similar.
He doesn't know unless someone other than Michael told him, though Western Harbor may have shown smith the file on Michael.

on diagnosing the connection:
12 -3(different species) -2(tangent penalty) =7. hmm. 1 more point would look really nice about now. oh well, I'll wait for the reaction.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #355
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Can Michael sense the digging around in his subject's mind?

The hosts of the Blazen really aren't aware of their presence. They can be completely aware of the possibility of mind magic and think they're not infected. The "dangerous group" line might go somewhere, but it might not.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #356
Poonbahbah

Quote:
Mind Search is fine. But it only effectively allows one question per minute, and you need to maintain or recast at the end of that minute. So, you're actually a bit lower on FP than just the one casting.
6 to cast 3 to maintain 1 min duration. My hat's power is 4 so 2 to cast and free to maintain.

Edit:
Quote:
(I don't know who I'm making this roll for, but I'm pretty sure I'm making it.
Diplomacy 10, roll 12 - I'm probably just making it worse.)
is it at all bed that I find it funny that while you all are, erm, talking that I'm in the background making small hand gestures and quiet chanting in order to bring his spirit back to the mortal world? When I'm done I'll probably point out the hypocrisy of complaining about my invasion of his privacy with my relatively benign telepathy. Something about how he needs to be careful who he uses his mind magic on maybe.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 10-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #357
Poonbahbah

Asking 4 questions is going to take 9 minutes so once you all tell me things have settled down you can listen in on what I ask Baer. First question starts after 5 minutes and I hope things will have settled down by then. After those 4 questions I'm going to ask for suggestions. So see if you guys can come up with any. I get final say on what's asked, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #358
momothefiddler

Quote:
[OOC: In theory you're not allowed to use rolls to influcence other players (or I'm not as GM anyway...). In practise I'm happy to allow it in conjunction with verbosity. In this case, since you've gone for Diplomacy, it doesn't exactly help, but Diplomacy can't get you worse than a Neutral reaction, so you're not actually making them worse.]
That's why I wasn't sure. While my words were directed both at NPCs and PCs, it seemed like the group most likely to take offense included a PC. Thus it felt that the roll was needed, yet irrelevant. At least I failed, so we don't have to worry what it meant.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #359
momothefiddler

Quote:
The attack isn't a runaround, I'm being generous and assuming that everyone is keeping an eye on what is going on around them. Not enough to avoid being surprised (except for Combat Reflexes which means that Jorin was able to avoid it) but just a kind of "happened to be glancing in their direction".

Note for future reference: please list the details about a roll like this. Yes, I can work out that it's based on the Staff skill with +2 for the weapon and a reduced multiple-use penalty because of Weapon Master, but it would make it clearer and easier to look up. Plus, I like to make sure that all of the modifiers are in there.

On that note please be aware: Shakti are smaller than Humans. They get a +1 to hit, and you get a -1 to hit.
Whoops, sorry. Fixed.

Do size modifiers apply to parries? It doesn't seem like they'd apply to blocks or dodges, but it seems possible but not definite for parries....

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #360
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Do size modifiers apply to parries? It doesn't seem like they'd apply to blocks or dodges, but it seems possible but not definite for parries....
I'm ruling that they don't at this point. I can't see anything to the effect that they would either.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire