Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #341
Poonbahbah

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Oh, and I'll mention this now: having Nonchalance on your character sheet will get away with a variety of things, but be careful about how you word stuff, as in some cultures you might visit asking if someone wants to "touch your staff" could get you in trouble for sexual harassment (as it is in this case she just thinks that John Smith is being a bit crude, but she's forgiving because of the Diplomacy success).
Even when I'm holding an actual physical staff out for her to touch? It's not exactly hidden. I'd just figured she'd be wary of whatever effect it would have on her. I wasn't straight saying it'd make you utterly loyal to me so that I can quickly and effectively interrogate you before letting it lapse, assuming she wasn't part of the problem anyway.

18 is more then enough. Thank you.

Maybe I should add in Batman to the mix for his many nifty utility affects.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 10-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #342
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Even when I'm holding an actual physical staff out for her to touch? It's not exactly hidden. I'd just figured she'd be wary of whatever effect it would have on her. I wasn't straight saying it'd make you utterly loyal to me so that I can quickly and effectively interrogate you before letting it lapse, assuming she wasn't part of the problem anyway.
If asked, Harry will explain this: the Shakti currently hold that the oblique approach to courting is the best. This isn't out of nervousness or embarrassment (as per the Victorians), it's just that the current fashion is for poetry in love and so props like a staff or figurine are common when courting. It makes sense to the Shakti, it doesn't have to make sense to Humans. This is one of those things about them being aliens.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #343
Poonbahbah

Ah, okay then, makes sense.

Edit:
Quote:
Two points:
1: Yeek.
2: Unless John Smith has Enhanced Time Sense or several Compartmentalised Minds (I can't find evidence to that effect), I'm going to have to rule that 'using' or concentrating on more than two or three of the vision modes at once is going to apply some kind of penalty. Even with IQ 20 and PER 20, if you have Mage Sight overlaying Astral Vision overlaying Infravision overlaying normal vision then details will start to blur out somewhat. I'm perfectly happy for him to be switching between them at various times and to be lenient about which he has active at vital times (i.e. the point when the roll is made), but if he too obviously has them running constantly then you will be required to make unexpected rolls for things like scary stuff on the Astral plane that no one else needs to worry about.

I have, honestly, looked over this list of equipment. Putting it into context like this is taking time though, and I only thought to point out this particular bit because of this post. Plus, I was working on the assumption that he would be using stuff like this selectively, where this post does appear to imply that he's going to use them all at once; sorry if there's any confusion over this.
If he takes penalties for going over two or three, then he will likely stick to only two or three at a time. Trying to shift through them on a fairly regular basis. Looking over something thoroughly could then involve making sure I look it over using all of my powers, not all at once mind you, in order to discern as much as I can about a thing.

The occasional drawback like scary stuff on the astral plane is a thing he's willing to deal with in order to know the scary thing is there. IIRC the description of the astral body spell, or whatever it's called, then magic effects things in the astral plane. So he can try to destroy evil looking things in it. Which seems like a good idea to him. Or better to know it's there so it can be planned around/dealt with, then to be ignorant of what it could be doing to him and his squadmates. Like an astral plane poltergeist killing people in a haunted house he's in. It could happen, especially since I tried to be prepared for it. Or he could just be that crazy prepared guy but not get to showcase all the things I prepared him for, which is fine by me. Less to worry about for his squad mates. Of which he might decide to loan out his assistant's amulet too whomever seems least combat oriented just so that it isn't going to waste, despite none taking him up on his offer.

Edit2:
Quote:
12, needed an 8. failed by 4. dang it!
That's only one, you need to make two.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 10-04-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #344
momothefiddler

Hm. We're probably better off if Smith heals everyone, then. I dunno John's skill, but he has to dance like a madman and Jorin's isn't nearly as high as Smith's.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #345
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There are benefits to having everyone heal. We're trying to build sympathy, not stop their pain. (ok, you guys want to do both, but michael doesn't). having everyone who can heal do it challenges preconceptions in a way one person healing doesn't.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #346
momothefiddler

Fair enough. I'll help, then.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #347
Poonbahbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There are benefits to having everyone heal. We're trying to build sympathy, not stop their pain. (ok, you guys want to do both, but michael doesn't). having everyone who can heal do it challenges preconceptions in a way one person healing doesn't.
Not so much sympathy and stop pain, as make them extra cooperative via mind magic and stop pain.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #348
momothefiddler

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Jorin's the only one who cares about the Shakti.

To be fair, though, you two are probably going to be more effective. And keeping the universe from being destroyed is, in the long run, nicer to these people than caring about their injuries.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #349
Poonbahbah

Your not the only one wanting to stop their pain. It just takes second place in his list of priorities. It's mostly the big spells he charges money for nowadays.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #350
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

what about the universal technique on telereive? will that remove the species penalty? I believe michael has it bought all the way up.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire