Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Edges
 
Edges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GMT-5
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I'd call it reasonable to let Catfall halve the penalty for diving from a great height.
That's not a bad idea. I've always been unsatisfied with Catfall's non-scaleable, 5-yard value. I've used it as a leveled advantage before. But it never felt quite right.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Otaku
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Dakota, USA
Default Re: Captain America Falling

I haven't gotten a chance to see this iteration of Captain America in action outside of "Avengers"; how specific were they about his powers because the comic books have that typical mishmash that comes from non-technical descriptions couples with assumptions, even before factoring in retcons and the like. The premise was (is?) that Captain America is turned into a "peak human" or the like by the Super Soldier Serum, but that is very open to interpretation; does that mean realistic peak, does it include his brain structure as well, etc.? Traits that some people have but others lack? An actual design stand point (this is the best a human can evolve into while still being "human"/this is restoring humanity to some ancient peak before decline/whatever the setting calls for).

Relevance to the discussion is what has already been lightly addressed; how high are Cap's Attributes, what mundane and exotic physical Advantages he might have, etc. Oh, then toss in what skills he would have developed by this time; even in the Marvel Movie-verse, I would hope he's had at least some high level (or at least normal level) military training.
__________________
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
even in the Marvel Movie-verse, I would hope he's had at least some high level (or at least normal level) military training.
Answers spoilered:
Spoiler:  

Last edited by Culture20; 03-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
Mister Ed
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Even in the movie, didn't they show him getting SOME kind of training BEFORE becoming Cap? No combat experience, but something like Basic Training?
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
...
Relevance to the discussion is what has already been lightly addressed; how high are Cap's Attributes, what mundane and exotic physical Advantages he might have, etc. Oh, then toss in what skills he would have developed by this time; even in the Marvel Movie-verse, I would hope he's had at least some high level (or at least normal level) military training.
Even though we could argue forever over what human limit means for reality, he's still a comic book character. And comic books emphasize different aspects of people with different balances of human environment interactions.

In most comic books, humans are fearful, weak, fragile, perpetual victims that paradoxically almost always survive wounded rather than get truly killed.
So peak humans would be brave, strong, tough, heroes.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Even in the movie, didn't they show him getting SOME kind of training BEFORE becoming Cap? No combat experience, but something like Basic Training?
I think Basic teaches Soldier skill at best. It's simply too short of a time to cram much more in. But Soldier skill does grant defaults to skills used by militaries that normally have no or worse defaults.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #27
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Answers spoilered:
Spoiler:  
There are no defaults to unarmed combat skills. You fight at DX without them.

After even the spy incident in the movie he's got the experience to buy the first couple of pts of Brawling. By the end of the movie he's got _lots_ of xps and quite possibly more than Brawling +10 or something like that..

Even before enlistment and experiment skinny ol Steve Rogers was getting beat up regularly. He might have had skill by then but it does no good when you're ST 7 or 8.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #28
Otaku
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Dakota, USA
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There are no defaults to unarmed combat skills. You fight at DX without them.

After even the spy incident in the movie he's got the experience to buy the first couple of pts of Brawling. By the end of the movie he's got _lots_ of xps and quite possibly more than Brawling +10 or something like that..

Even before enlistment and experiment skinny ol Steve Rogers was getting beat up regularly. He might have had skill by then but it does no good when you're ST 7 or 8.
Plus by the time of "The Avengers", we see Steve practicing in what looks like a boxing gym. So while he probably doesn't have the Spec Ops training that would really make him a "super soldier", by now I think he's got at least a few skills taken care of and/or its a setting where you can get skills like Soldier! or what have you to cover things in broad strokes. That or the serum somehow includes some points into skills considering how often Cap performs actions that should suffer a penalty... when even with a perfect 20 attribute to base it off of, should have him rolling against well under a 16.
__________________
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #29
Langy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There are no defaults to unarmed combat skills. You fight at DX without them.

After even the spy incident in the movie he's got the experience to buy the first couple of pts of Brawling. By the end of the movie he's got _lots_ of xps and quite possibly more than Brawling +10 or something like that..

Even before enlistment and experiment skinny ol Steve Rogers was getting beat up regularly. He might have had skill by then but it does no good when you're ST 7 or 8.
Yeah, by the end of the movie he's an extremely accomplished and experienced special forces operator, with all that entails (the movie covers several years of time, I believe, most of it shown in a montage of butt kicking). Much of his skills have been learned via experience rather than training, but he did get some minor training (Boot Camp-esque) prior to the Super Soldier serum injections and it isn't unlikely that he got some more afterwards, too (just not shown on screen due to time limits).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #30
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Captain America Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I haven't gotten a chance to see this iteration of Captain America in action outside of "Avengers"; how specific were they about his powers because the comic books have that typical mishmash that comes from non-technical descriptions couples with assumptions, even before factoring in retcons and the like. The premise was (is?) that Captain America is turned into a "peak human" or the like by the Super Soldier Serum, but that is very open to interpretation; does that mean realistic peak, does it include his brain structure as well, etc.? Traits that some people have but others lack? An actual design stand point (this is the best a human can evolve into while still being "human"/this is restoring humanity to some ancient peak before decline/whatever the setting calls for).
There's a writeup of Captain America in "GURPS Supers" for 4th Edition. The serieal numbers are filed off, but the template has a shield as one of two suggested gadgets, making it very, very obvious.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain america, falling damage, supers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.