Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Mage Specialization [Fantasy]

Yes, there are 'mythic' characters in most fantasy settings. But not running around with every adventuring party. Not in every city. Not in every town. Not in every village. The character you've made (if we assume -50 points of disadvantages) is a 50-point character. That is not someone that stands out.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
AlexanderHowl

It is more of a core concept for a 150 CP character (they would have another 107 CP for customization, assuming -50 CP in disadvantages and -5 CP in quirks). I agree that they would be unrealistically focused for a 50 CP character, as they are incapable of doing anything else, and I would never allow above skill 16 for a 50 CP character anyway. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I would likely give the character ST 11, DX 11, HT 13, Luck, and a 32 CP worth of skills to round them out.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
RedMattis

I've got no complaints about insane skill levels in cinematic settings like DF (assuming the GM and players want to run it like that). My comment was solely there to point out the realism. I was literally just commenting on the "-10 is not impossible", when that is literally what a -10 difficulty means in a realistic setting according to GURPS RAW (Rules as Written).

Do note though that Kromm's character Radiana has a lot more going on that just being a heal-bot. She has 140 points invested in being a good generalist (IQ 14 [80] and PI 6 [60]).

While I really question Kromm's decision to go absolutely crazy on high levels of Major Heal later, the build is otherwise legit. Shield, Sanctuary, etc. means there is quite a few things the character can do outside of heal-botting.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Healing advantage suffers compared to the Major Healing build. To get the similar level of functionality for healing, you would need a character with IQ 11 [20], Per 15 [20], Healing (Based on Per, +20%; Capped, 4 FP, -20%; Injuries Only, -20%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Reduced FP Cost, -3 FP, +60%; Magical, -10%; Xenohealing, Anything Animate, +100%) [84], and Magery 0 [5], which ends up being 129 CP versus 98 CP (it is also missing the ability to heal oneself and the ability to heal at a modest distance).

Major Healing-25 allows for tactical healing, as the character can heal people from 10 yards away without any difficulty and heal themselves as long as they suffered less than 10 HP damage.
On the plus side, the guy who uses the Power won't have to pay extra FP to heal people of higher SM like you do w/ magic.

Also rather than paying for Xenohealing it could be cheaper to just not buy that enhancement permanently and in cases where you need to heal non-humans use Temporary Enhancements.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #25
ravenfish

I'm inclined to think that, if you are in a position where you routinely need that much healing, what you actually need is magic to make you better at what you were doing.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #26
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I'm inclined to think that, if you are in a position where you routinely need that much healing, what you actually need is magic to make you better at what you were doing.
unless you're just a bloodbag for vampires :)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #27
Pbuckley

I'm not too against some specialization but at least in my sword and sorcery games I cap starting skill levels at 20, to avoid weirdly specialized characters.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:51 AM   #28
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
I'm not too against some specialization but at least in my sword and sorcery games I cap starting skill levels at 20, to avoid weirdly specialized characters.
If playing DF as an over-the-top cinematic setting I'll probably be fine with wepaon skills, acrobatics, etc. sitting above 20. Though you can't really pull it off much using the templates, so it would be something for later in the campaign.

For non-combat skills I'd be really harsh on the difference between almost impossible and actually impossible. Ninja-ing around to sneak past a dozen guards patrolling with good vantage points during day? Almost impossible. Sneaking straight up (without misdirection) to a guard who has noticed you and is looking right in your direction? Impossible, you don't even get to make a roll.

A bit like how Nightivision will let you work with almost no light at all, but if you want to see in complete darkness you need something like Darkvision. (Or in the stealth example, something like Invisibility).

Personally though? I lean to using advantages and techniques rather than just very high skill-numbers. I think the Ninja with 16-skills + Super-Jump, Clinging (Uneven surfaces, -?%; Chi, -10%) and Obscure Vision (Stealthy, +100%; Chi, -10%) is more fun than the one who just has Climbing-20, Stealth-22. For one, it is more clear what the ninja can and cannot do, for another the advantages can have countermeasures built-in.