Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Magic_Octopus

Default Noršlond questions

Can we have a thread for questions regarding the Nordlond setting?

Here's one question for starters:

What is the cost of Gestrisni? And how does that relate to staying at an inn?

On page 15 of Citadel of Norvörn:
In practice, this is the cost of living for your Wealth level, though it is never paid in coin as that would be insulting to the host.

Where can I find the cost of living for each wealth level? In Adventurers on page 96 under Cost of Living it says that a week in town costs $ 150, but does not mention wealth level.
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Harald387

Default Re: Noršlond questions

My (reasonably well-informed) take is that that's a typo: it's not even quite accurate from a GURPS context, since CoL in GURPS depends on Status (not Wealth), and The Dungeon Fantasy RPG dispenses with those considerations. Do note that Cost of Living can vary: for adventurers with compulsive behaviors, it gets more expensive.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Magic_Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
My (reasonably well-informed) take is that that's a typo: it's not even quite accurate from a GURPS context, since CoL in GURPS depends on Status (not Wealth), and The Dungeon Fantasy RPG dispenses with those considerations. Do note that Cost of Living can vary: for adventurers with compulsive behaviors, it gets more expensive.
I figured as much. I'd still like to know if staying in an inn is more expensive than Gestrisni ;)
Old 11-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Magic_Octopus

I have another one about the Random Village Generator in Citadel at Nordvörn:

Do you add the wealth roll to the infrastructure roll to determine infrastructure?

From page 64:
Quote:
Much as the population drives wealth, the Wealth Roll is used to determine infrastructure.
---
Roll 2d6-7 again, and add modifiers, to determine the infrastructure roll
The modifiers can add to +8, so the highest possible result is 13, but the table has results for rolls of 17+.

I think the above passage should read: Take the Wealth Roll, and add 2d6-7 again, applying any of the modifiers that apply, to determine the infrastructure roll.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
I figured as much. I'd still like to know if staying in an inn is more expensive than Gestrisni ;)
The default position is that claiming guest-right is a slightly flavorful way of living in town. So if you can claim guest-right, you never need worry that the inns are full. It costs the same: $150 per week, modified by whatever usually modifies your in-town expenses.

However, it makes a brilliant hook for those that wish to use it. Who's the NPC?What gifts of food, supplies, and stuff you present to the person with whom you're staying, you can. If the inns are expensive, perhaps gestrisni saves you money.

It's more or less a fun hook if you want it, otherwise, "claim guestright," pay your weekly fees and say that "of course I didn't pay cash," and maybe spend an extra few hours of downtime a week "shopping for guest-gifts."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:

Do you add the wealth roll to the infrastructure roll to determine infrastructure?

From page 64:

The modifiers can add to +8, so the highest possible result is 13, but the table has results for rolls of 17+.

I think the above passage should read: Take the Wealth Roll, and add 2d6-7 again, applying any of the modifiers that apply, to determine the infrastructure roll.
I'm going to dig into this so I can get you a solid answer, and see if we've turfed up something unclear, or just a "whoops"
Old 12-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:

From page 64:

Yes. Add to the wealth roll a second 2d-7
Old 12-16-2019, 03:51 AM   #8
Magic_Octopus

Thank you Douglas!

I have another question:

Previously, I have run games with mysteries in them, and sometimes I have struggled to convey the whole story to the players. They have left without a clear picture of what was going on.

This happened with Hall of Judgment, where after defeating the demon the players were wondering what the place was actually about, and why the demon was there, etc.

Here's my conundrum with Citadel of Norvörn:
Could someone give some pointers on how to let the player characters know about Orm's (or his grandfather's) deal, the breaking of it, and the consequences? I have set the game up so that they will find out slowly about the creeping alfar threat, and also the connection between the bandits in Veiddarlond and Gunnulf.

But I haven't really figured out yet how should the players learn about Orm's deal, and what that entails. It is an interesting story, and I don't want to leave my players hanging.

Any advice on this front?
Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Thank you Douglas!

I have another question:

Previously, I have run games with mysteries in them, and sometimes I have struggled to convey the whole story to the players. They have left without a clear picture of what was going on.

This happened with Hall of Judgment, where after defeating the demon the players were wondering what the place was actually about, and why the demon was there, etc.

Here's my conundrum with Citadel of Norvörn:
Could someone give some pointers on how to let the player characters know about Orm's (or his grandfather's) deal, the breaking of it, and the consequences? I have set the game up so that they will find out slowly about the creeping alfar threat, and also the connection between the bandits in Veiddarlond and Gunnulf.

But I haven't really figured out yet how should the players learn about Orm's deal, and what that entails. It is an interesting story, and I don't want to leave my players hanging.

Any advice on this front?
it's an interesting question, and I'm pleased that you decided to pick up that bit of story-building.

There are several possibilities here, I guess. Probably more than I can think of.

One is "the guy or one of his aids wrote down some things, like a diary"

Another is a general set of Hidden Lore (Faerie) or something like it that will give the "rules" for such an exchange. How the binding of the grandfather can pass to the children. That breaking a vow with the faerie gives that faerie power over all of the things you consider to have influence over (especially your land and family).

A good way to bring that out is to have skalds (bards) sing songs of faerie tricks and betrayal in taverns, or have the party overhear a mother or father singing songs or telling tales to children. They would serve the same goal as the "real" fairy tales in our history: warning that misdeeds and bad judgment have consequences.

Having different songs come up that each give a moral lesson about making and breaking deals, how a stalwart and honest person can be killed but never taken by faerie, never make deals, that spoken three times must be true, did I mention never make deals?

That sort of thing would be a good way to seed the ideas without stopping for "and now it's time for GM exposition"
Old 12-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
Magic_Octopus

Thanks again Douglas! Very cool stuff about the skalds and songs. I need to use them more in the campaign!

Tags
noršlond, nordvörn