Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
archie

Default Move and Attack

Let me get this straight...

In Move and Attack, after the -4 to hit is calculated, the final weapon skill to hit can't go over 9? So a Broadsword skill of 15 would be a 9 in a Move and Attack maneuver?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Move and Attack

That's pretty much exactly right. Remember to apply all penalties and bonuses to your effective skill before applying the cap, though.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
archie

Right. Okay, thanks.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
archie

One more question:

Using the above example of a 15 weapon skill; does the cap of 9 affect critical hit ranges? Would a roll of 5 still be a crit?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Since a crit is always calculated based on your final effective skill, a roll of 5 wouldn't be a crit in this case.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
gikiski

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie
One more question:

Using the above example of a 15 weapon skill; does the cap of 9 affect critical hit ranges? Would a roll of 5 still be a crit?
I believe "adjusted skill" and "effective skill" levels are synonymous so, I have a feeling this doesn't allow the expanded critical margin.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Azinctus

I have some questions about this subject. I find it difficult to explain to my players why a master of sword play is no more effective than a beginner when on the move.

Is there a technique to help move and attack? If not how does jousting work, how do lion's catch gazelles and why did the barbarian charge of the highlanders strike fear into the hearts of the English soldiers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

He is more effective, but only in the sense that he can soak up more penalties (for eg. Hit Location) and still remain at 9.

And Lions etc. miss all the time.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
jindra34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azinctus
I have some questions about this subject. I find it difficult to explain to my players why a master of sword play is no more effective than a beginner when on the move.

Is there a technique to help move and attack? If not how does jousting work, how do lion's catch gazelles and why did the barbarian charge of the highlanders strike fear into the hearts of the English soldiers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
one is a lance which is designed for that purpose and never used when the holder is running, two lions your a slam, and three its psychological warfare to see a large group of people charging at you, finally it just requires a lot of concentration to run and swing and not fall over.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
laserdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azinctus
I tell them that it is because it is such a rushed attack that luck becomes a greater factor than skill.

Although that particular rule does bother me personally. Seems strange that the cap disappears if I stop one hex short and *throw* my knife rather than continuing forward to run him through.
Closed Thread