Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #1621
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

A few minor things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Affliction (Electrolaser) 5 (HT-4; Accurate +2, +10%; Affects Substantial, +40%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Damage Modifier: Surge, +20%; Environmental, -5%; Increased 1/2D Range ×2, +5%; Increased Range ×5, +20%; Link, +10%; Rapid Fire: RoF 3, +50%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Electricity, -10%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [30];
Burning Attack (Electrolaser) 1d-2 (Affects Substantial, +40%; Increased 1/2D Range ×2, +5%; Increased Range ×5, +20%; Link, +10%; Rapid Fire: RoF 3, +50%; Elemental: Light, -10%) [5];
Surge should be on the Innate Attack portion, not the Affliction portion, shouldn't it?

Quote:
Burning Attack (Gamma-Ray Laser) 6d
Should be italicized for consistency.

Quote:
Flight (Cosmic: Complete Maneuverability, +50%; Space Flight, +50%) [80];
I don't think you need Cosmic: Complete Manueverability on Flight itself. Regular Flight is treated like Basic Move, which already has complete maneuverability.

Quote:
Warp (Blind, +50%; Blink, +25%; Gyroscopic, +10%; Hyperjump (Light-Speed), -50%; No Strain, +25%; Reliable +10, +50%) [210].
As written, this means he needs to travel at least one light-second to use Warp, which means it's useless on Earth. Is that intentional?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #1622
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Living Laser
1,669 points
You skipped straight to the photonic form. Yeah, I understand he got pretty tough after that. It might be hard for a lot of your heroes to keep up with him. I remember him mostly for his name, and of course, for being one of the sources for Count Nefaria's huge power-up :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #1623
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
A few minor things.
Always good to get feedback!

Quote:
Surge should be on the Innate Attack portion, not the Affliction portion, shouldn't it?
The way I understand how an electrolaser works is that an electrical charge travels down the laser beam to stun the target; the laser is simply the carrier. The Basic Set does not restrict Surge solely to Burning attacks, just to "attacks", so by RAW it's valid on Afflictions, other Innate Attacks like Crushing and Fatigue attacks, and potentially even stuff like Strikers, Claws, Teeth, and Binding.

Quote:
Should be italicized for consistency.
Ooops. Fixed!

Quote:
I don't think you need Cosmic: Complete Manueverability on Flight itself. Regular Flight is treated like Basic Move, which already has complete maneuverability.
From PU4, it reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, p. 9
Cosmic, Complete maneuverability. You are exempt from control rolls and can turn on a dime, without concern for acceleration. Because this affects even non-enhanced Move, you must take this on both Enhanced Move and the underlying movement ability (e.g., Amphibious or Flight). +50%.
Note that last sentence. I had to double-check it a few times just to be sure.

Quote:
As written, this means he needs to travel at least one light-second to use Warp, which means it's useless on Earth. Is that intentional?
That is not. I'm open to suggestions, however. I don't want him exceeding the speed of light when he warps, but I also want him hopping around the planet at light speed (which won't harm the planet any as he's made of photons). Ideas?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #1624
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
You skipped straight to the photonic form. Yeah, I understand he got pretty tough after that. It might be hard for a lot of your heroes to keep up with him. I remember him mostly for his name, and of course, for being one of the sources for Count Nefaria's huge power-up :)
Well, he does first face the current crop of heroes in his interim microtech-but-solid form. He's one of those guys who I had the hardest time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with.

Do you want me to post the solar-powered tech-based blaster he starts as when working for Nefaria?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #1625
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Well, he does first face the current crop of heroes in his interim microtech-but-solid form. He's one of those guys who I had the hardest time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with.

Do you want me to post the solar-powered tech-based blaster he starts as when working for Nefaria?
Yeah buddy! I'm ALL about old school!😁
Old 07-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #1626
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
The way I understand how an electrolaser works is that an electrical charge travels down the laser beam to stun the target; the laser is simply the carrier. The Basic Set does not restrict Surge solely to Burning attacks, just to "attacks", so by RAW it's valid on Afflictions, other Innate Attacks like Crushing and Fatigue attacks, and potentially even stuff like Strikers, Claws, Teeth, and Binding.
Per B104, describing the entire Damage Modifiers section: "You may give an Innate Attack one or more of these modifiers to further qualify the way it does damage." For some reason, some of the subcategories specify Innate Attacks and some just say "attacks". But I'd personally say that the description of the entire category has precedence.

Quote:
From PU4, it reads:

Note that last sentence. I had to double-check it a few times just to be sure.
So it does. Good to know, I had no idea.

Quote:
That is not. I'm open to suggestions, however. I don't want him exceeding the speed of light when he warps, but I also want him hopping around the planet at light speed (which won't harm the planet any as he's made of photons). Ideas?
Considering the diameter of the Earth is only around 10000 miles, I'd just remove Hyperjump and add a note saying if he somehow ends up involved in a cosmic campaign, add it back in. Or homebrew a price for Hyperjump (no minimum distance).
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #1627
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Considering the diameter of the Earth is only around 10000 miles, I'd just remove Hyperjump and add a note saying if he somehow ends up involved in a cosmic campaign, add it back in. Or homebrew a price for Hyperjump (no minimum distance).
A special limitation I've used for a couple of Warp builds is (Must move to destination at *some great, but finite, speed*) which usually comes to a Nuisance Effect. In this case, light speed might be just a Quirk level limit, unless he's often using it to fly interplanetary distances.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #1628
woweed

Quote:
UNION JACK

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United Kingdom with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: "Jackie" (a nickname she hates), Lord Jack Falsworth.
Place of Birth: London, England.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Lord William Falsworth (father, deceased); Lady Elizabeth Whitfield Falsworth (mother, deceased); Brian, Baron Falsworth (alias Union Jack II, grandfather); Lady Jacqueline Falsworth Crighton (alias Spitfire, great-aunt, deceased); Kenneth, Lord Crighton (first cousin once removed); Montgomery, Baron Falsworth (alias Union Jack I, great-grandfather, deceased); William, Baron Falsworth (great-great-grandfather, deceased); Lord John Falsworth (alias Baron Blood, great-great-uncle, undead); Steve Rogers (alias Captain America, godfather).
Group Affiliation: Associate of the Super-Heroes of Europe, Captain America, Bucky, and Red Guardian.
Base of Operations: London, England.
History: During World War I, Montgomery, Baron Falsworth, took on the heroic role of Union Jack to stand as the hero of modern Great Britain, opposing his traitorous brother John, who had become a vampire and worked for the Germans as Baron Blood (see Baron Blood; Vampires). His son, Brian, took over the role during World War II, working with Captain America, the original Bucky, the android Human Torch, and Namor the Sub-Mariner, among others, as a member of the Invaders (see Captain America; Namor). At one point, Brian's sister Jacqueline was bitten by Baron Blood and given an ad-hoc blood transfusion from the various Invaders, including the synthetic "blood" of the Human Torch, gaining speed powers, whereupon she took the costumed identity of Spitfire (named after the fastest British airplane of the time).

Following the end of World War II, Brian only occasionally took action as Union Jack, while Jacqueline retired to the quiet life of the aristocracy. Brian inherited the title of Baron Falsworth in the fifties when his father passed away, and continued to act as Union Jack for another two decades. Brian intended that his son, William, carry on his heroic legacy, but William never pursued the training, instead becoming embroiled in politics, including a number of scandals. William and his wife, Elizabeth, were killed in a boating accident mere months after their only daughter, named Jacqueline after her heroic great-aunt, was born. Having kept in touch with Captain America, Brian insisted that the Captain be Jacqueline's godfather.

Brian, Baron Falsworth, tried to raise his granddaughter according to British aristocratic traditions, eventually insisting that the role of Union Jack go to his nephew, Kenneth Crighton. Kenneth, however, did not see himself as worthy of the role. Meanwhile, Jacqueline Falsworth grew up as a tomboy, and after coming of age started taking testosterone treatments and undergoing various surgeries (including breast removal), calling herself "Lord Jack" instead of "Lady Jacqueline". Jack underwent physical training, intending to take on the role of Union Jack himself.

During a visit by Captain America and his young partner, Rikki Buchanan, the new Bucky, to Falsworth Manor, Jack learned that Baron Blood had returned to active undeath. Against his grandfather's wishes, Jack donned a slightly reworked Union Jack uniform and assisted Captain America and Bucky in battling Baron Blood. (It was later revealed that Brian Falsworth was proud of Jack for his work as Union Jack, though the elder Falsworth is still uncomfortable with Jack's gender identity.)

Union Jack was later seen at an international meeting of national heroes, where he worked with Captain America and Russia's Red Guardian to take down the criminals Crossbones and Sin, who had attacked the conference (see Crossbones; Red Guardian; Sin).

Presumably, Jack Falsworth continues to divide his time between his college studies, where he is pursuing a degree in political science, and his actions as Union Jack.
Height: 5' 8" (173 cm).
Weight: 175 lbs. (79.5 kg)
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Blond, dyed black.
Uniform: Blue-black bodysuit with the design of the British flag (the "Union Jack") on the chest, blue-black full-face cowl, brown belt, black gloves, black boots, red wrist-bands, red ankle-bands.
Strength Level: Union Jack possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Union Jack is a skilled hand to hand combatant and an expert shot with a pistol.
Weapons: Union Jack carries two standard weapons. The first is a silver-plated combat knife. The second is a semi-automatic pistol chambered in .40S&W; this replaces the .455 Webley revolver carried by his predecessors.

455 points
Attributes:
ST 14 [40]; DX 14 [80]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d; BL 39 lbs.; HP 14 [0]; Will 12 [5]; Per 12 [5]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 11.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; French (Accented) [4]; German (Accented) [4]; Latin (None/Literate) [2]; Russian (Accented) [4].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Fit [5]; Gizmo 1 [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Independent Income 10 [10]; Social Regard (Respected) 2 [10]; Status 2 [10]; Trained By A Master [30]; Wealth (Comfortable; Heir to Filthy Rich) [30].
Perks: Off-Hand Weapon Training (Knife) [1]; Quick-Swap (Knife) [1]; Style Familiarity (Dagger Fighting) [1]; Style Familiarity (Krav Maga) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-10]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Secret Identity (Serious Embarrassment) [-5]; Social Stigma (Transgender) -2 [-10].
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Code of Honor (Gentlemanly Behavior) [-1]; Dislikes the Nickname "Jackie" [-1]; Wants to Live Up to the Family's Heroic Legacy [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+1 [8] – 15; Area Knowledge (London) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Body Language (Human) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Breath Control (H) HT+0 [4] – 14; Climbing (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (High Culture) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) DX+1 [4] – 15; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX+1 [1] – 15*; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Flying Leap (H) IQ-1 [2] – 10; Forced Entry (E) DX+0 [1] – 14; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+2 [4] – 16; Immovable Stance (H) DX+0 [4] – 14; Intimidation (A) Will+0 [2] – 12; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] – 14; Karate (H) DX+2 [12] – 16; Knife (E) DX+2 [4] – 16; Law (British Political) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 10; Lifting (A) HT-1 [1] – 13; Main-Gauche (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Mental Strength (E) Will+2 [4] – 14; Observation (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Politics (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Power Blow (H) Will+0 [4] – 12; Pressure Points (Human) (H) IQ+1 [8] – 12; Public Speaking (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Research/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 14; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Tracking (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Wrestling (A) DX+2 [8] – 16.
Techniques: Elbow Strike (Karate) (A) def+2 [2] – 16; Knee Strike (A) def+1 [1] – 16; Targeted Attack (Guns/TL8 (Pistol)/Weapon) (H) def+2 [3] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $204,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.

Role-Playing Notes:
Union Jack is a woman who identifies as a man (clinical name is "transsexual", though she hasn't yet gone for the final surgery to fully physically become male). He is attempting to follow the heroic legacy of his grandfather, great-aunt, and great-grandfather while trying to deal with his grandfather's insistence that Jack become "a proper English lady".
I hate to bring it up, but you should probably use male pronouns throughout the entry. Also, that's not an entirely accurate description of transgender people. It's less that they're a women who identifies as male, and more that their brain is male, but their body isn't willing to agree.
woweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #1629
JulianLW

Quote:

Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Everyone) [-20]; White Knight Syndrome (9) [-22]; Workaholic [-5].
What's "White Knight Syndrome"? Where's that from?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #1630
AlexanderHowl

Which version of Union Jack is a transman? I thought that the replacement for Brian Falsworth was Joseph Chapman. Now, Chapman became Union Jack in 1981, so you could have him retire and being replaced by his daughter/son in the New '10s (who could be transsexual). An interesting take would be Union Jack being a transwoman who took the name Jacqueline when she came out as a transwoman (thus keeping the name Jack).

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 08-22-2020 at 03:43 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men