Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Snaps

Default Re: Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Wolverine survives being hit by the Juggernaught for most of the same reasons Batman can fight Superman and Superman villains.

IE, he's the main character.

That's covered in GURPS by having him invest in a huge pile of narrative control abilities: Impulse Buys is the GoTo place for that.

He naturally has backstop coverage with his Mutant Healing Factor (tm) but many times it's down to "I spend a point on Flesh Wounds! AHA!" That one time he regenerated his way back From A Single Cell he probably bought Extra Life with the spare points lying around.
I've never liked this style of making characters. There are plenty of ways of making a character in GURPS that can withstand the kind of punishment Wolverine receives. So why not just stat him out with the advantages we have?

Wolverine is probably the best example of a character with Injury Tolerance. You shoot him with a gun and it's a minor annoyance. He falls 20 stories and he's sore and shaken up.

He isn't spending points to turn that punch from the Juggernaut into a flesh wound, he's taking that punch because he has an unbreakable skull that can't be dented by the worst punishment Juggy can dish out, and his bones can't be damaged by anything less than Thor's hammer.

I'd give him Damage Reduction /5 or /10 with a Limitation of not vs. Torso Shots, Corrosive, or Burning Attacks.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
Michael Thayne

A really heavy adamantium skeleton should probably result in Cannot Float [-1], though I imagine that's often ignored.

Also, First!-25? What the heck? Sure, Wolverine is supposed to be great at unarmed combat, but remember that Skill-25 means you can do the impossible 95% of the time. Or, looking at it another way, plenty of foes do manage to last more than a second against Wolverine, so unless they all have almost as high of skill (or Enhanced Defenses or something), he doesn't have Fist!-25. I'd put his skill more in the 19-21 range; 22 at the absolute most.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
A really heavy adamantium skeleton should probably result in Cannot Float [-1], though I imagine that's often ignored.

Also, First!-25? What the heck? Sure, Wolverine is supposed to be great at unarmed combat, but remember that Skill-25 means you can do the impossible 95% of the time. Or, looking at it another way, plenty of foes do manage to last more than a second against Wolverine, so unless they all have almost as high of skill (or Enhanced Defenses or something), he doesn't have Fist!-25. I'd put his skill more in the 19-21 range; 22 at the absolute most.
Maybe 20ish. He's one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in the Marvel universe.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Refplace

I would add
Extra HP +10
IT:DR 10
IT: No Brain with a -20% Achillies heal to represent the armored skull. Eye shots and upper shots can bypass it hence the -20%
Very Fit
And also the Armor Divosir 100 others spoke of.
Also did I miss seeing Strong Will in there?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Maybe 20ish. He's one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in the Marvel universe.
20ish is what I said, isn't it?

(I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just checking because my brains initial response to seeing that was slight confusion.)
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I would say that the best hand to hand combatant in the Marvel Universe is a 30. It is a superhero universe after all.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
B9anders

Quote:
Wolverine survives being hit by the Juggernaught for most of the same reasons Batman can fight Superman and Superman villains.

No, just no.

This may be the meta-reason but it is explicitly not the given reason for it. He survives it because he has a healing factor and adamantium skeleton. And this means he survives it when others wouldn't.

GURPS Supers should emulate powers first and foremost and only secondly narrative advantages.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #28
David Johnston2

Quote:

Not really. Batman survives by never really getting hit. Wolverine gets hit all the time.

http://www.grrlpowercomic.com/archives/748
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I would say that the best hand to hand combatant in the Marvel Universe is a 30. It is a superhero universe after all.
I think that is too high.
Shang Chi is considered the best hand to hand and martial artist and he is not a super. Even Supers have a hard time laying a hand on him.
The Supers level Martial Artists are Iron Fist, Captain America, Wolverine, Spider Woman and Spider Man (after Spider ISland especially where he was trained by Shang Chi).
Wolverine gets a bost from Extra Effort and toughness but is not really superhumanly fast. I would make his DX comparable to Captain America and put it high though with Spider Man being truly Super Human in DX with the Super Attribute modifier.
Iron Fist should also be in that range, though his main schtick is instant Power Blow.
So I am figuring 20ish for Wolverine, high DX and more points then most (normal humans) in skill. He is more rounded then the others so the bang skills are a good fit.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think that is too high.
Shang Chi is considered the best hand to hand and martial artist and he is not a super.
I don't see how his not being a super is relevant.

Tags
supers, x-men