Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #121
Anthony

Default Re: Meteoric Iron Arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
There is one English author (Asham?) who complains that no longbowman in his time was capable of shooting half-pound war-arrows anymore - implying that, at one point, there were archers who could.
Well, implying that he thought that there were archers who could. Or that he was just exaggerating or making stuff up. In any case, I don't see why shooting a half pound arrow is hard unless you have specific requirements for how far you want the arrow to go.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #122
DanHoward

I'll need to dig up the source. Even a quarter-pound is pretty heavy for a war arrow.

Edit: It was Charles I who complained that nobody can shoot a quarter-pound arrow any more.

Last edited by DanHoward; 09-14-2012 at 02:13 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #123
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Perhaps Chas I refers to the quarter pounders falling short when archers of late were asked to try them on the ranges set up for lighter arrows.

It occurs to me that ironworking heat and other issues won't be as much of an issue when the forges can be fired with Essential Coal, the billows pumped by stout and tireless golems, the smith can make use of stamina potions and enchanted hammers, etc.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #124
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
It occurs to me that ironworking heat and other issues won't be as much of an issue when the forges can be fired with Essential Coal, the billows pumped by stout and tireless golems, the smith can make use of stamina potions and enchanted hammers, etc.
Well, the easy methods of working iron with magic aren't going to work for meteoric iron.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #125
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, the easy methods of working iron with magic aren't going to work for meteoric iron.
Where is the real Anthony? He would hold that truth to be self-evident.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #126
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Perhaps Chas I refers to the quarter pounders falling short when archers of late were asked to try them on the ranges set up for lighter arrows.
The implication is that by the time of Charles I there were no English longbowmen capable of wielding the heavy bows required for shooting quarter-pound arrows on the battlefield.

Tags
dungeon fanasy, dungeon fantasy, meteoric iron