Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Impulse Buys for FOA and other GM Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
To be clear, I'm wondering if y'all think it's balanced to use an IP to avoid an Enemy appearing or a Secret coming out in a session, not in making those things appear! I almost think these ought to be treated like any other instance of buying success on a self-control roll on a disadvantage, as suggested on B121 or buying effect as described in Impulse Buys (page 6).
I think that would depend on the FOA. I think I'd charge 3 points for 6 or less, 2 points for 9 or 12, and 1 point for 15.

Quote:
But because other luck-type disadvantages can't influence tables or effects or GM rolls, maybe there ought to be an extra surcharge for that?
You could, yeah.

Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is, would you allow a PC in your game to spend IP or Destiny points or whatever to avoid having a Secret or an Enemy appear? And if so, how would you handle that?
I probably would - see above.

Quote:
Cosmic: Can change effects rolls is +50% for Luck, right? Should that be taken into consideration here? Or do you see the IP mechanic as completely different?
You can, I suppose. I probably wouldn't. I'd use the scheme I presented above.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
To be clear, I'm wondering if y'all think it's balanced to use an IP to avoid an Enemy appearing or a Secret coming out in a session, not in making those things appear! I almost think these ought to be treated like any other instance of buying success on a self-control roll on a disadvantage, as suggested on B121 or buying effect as described in Impulse Buys (page 6).
Yeah I got that, my reply was based on the proposed idea by Christopher to get the disadvantage so that it costs IP to counter.
I personally see no reason in most circumstances to spending an IP (if appropriate source) to prevent the appearance, nor do I see a problem with the GM enforcing an appearance and granting the player an IP.
Similar to Fate really.
Sometimes if the plot requires it I would not allow the enemy to be neutralized that way however,

Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is, would you allow a PC in your game to spend IP or Destiny points or whatever to avoid having a Secret or an Enemy appear? And if so, how would you handle that?

Cosmic: Can change effects rolls is +50% for Luck, right? Should that be taken into consideration here? Or do you see the IP mechanic as completely different?
I would just allow it normally as long as the source of the IP were appropriate.
Many Wildcard skills could be inappropriate, though some certainly could.
That clan of Ninjas hunting you? Use Katana! or Ninja! to avoid an appearance.
Govt task force shows up to arrest you for your military crimes? Soldier! could let you escape the clutches and give your team some IP to handle that weeks adventure. Queue A-Team music.
If you have Impulse Points as some supernatural advantage than most of the time it should be an option.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #13
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I think that would depend on the FOA. I think I'd charge 3 points for 6 or less, 2 points for 9 or 12, and 1 point for 15.
I'm not following you. If the FOA for my Enemy is almost never, I have to pay 3 points to make sure he doesn't show up today, but if it's almost always, I only have to pay 1 point?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I was just trying to find something about this on old forum posts, and I found a Krommpost about Serendipity (Aspected: Social -20%) (here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...70#post1079770) being a good fit for suddenly having a friend appear.

Since Serendipity gives 2 Serendipity points in Impulse Buys, what about 2 IP for GM-controlled FOA rolls - like for Enemies or Secrets?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'm not following you. If the FOA for my Enemy is almost never, I have to pay 3 points to make sure he doesn't show up today, but if it's almost always, I only have to pay 1 point?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Yeah, it absolutely should. That's a goof, reverse it. 15 = 3 and 6 = 1

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would just allow it normally as long as the source of the IP were appropriate.
Many Wildcard skills could be inappropriate, though some certainly could.
That clan of Ninjas hunting you? Use Katana! or Ninja! to avoid an appearance.
Govt task force shows up to arrest you for your military crimes? Soldier! could let you escape the clutches and give your team some IP to handle that weeks adventure. Queue A-Team music.
If you have Impulse Points as some supernatural advantage than most of the time it should be an option.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enemies, frequency of appearance, impulse buys, secret