Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts

Mmph.

So. New version looks like this, costs 155 points (again, close to the RAW cost):
  • Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones (Accessibility, only at 0 HP or more, -20%; Cosmic: Can't be crippled at all, +300%) [38]
  • Immunity to Pain [30]
  • Immunity to Unconsciousness [30]
  • Unkillable 1 (Achilles' Heel, Megadamage, -10%; Achilles' Heel, Something Occasional, -30%, Cosmic: Can keep going after -10xHP, +50%) [55]

I don't like pricing Cosmic: Can keep going after -10xHP as a simple Avoiding Drawbacks. That's not a Drawback of the advantage, that's a Drawback of being a character in GURPS. I went with it anyways, because +50% gives the metatrait a point total very close to the original advantage.

I'm open for lots of debate on the value of that enhancement. On the one hand, taking the Achilles' Heel limitations off makes the character functionally immortal, with infinite hit points. That seems like it should cost more than 75 points :P
On the other hand, the infinite hit-points are all on the far-negative end. Without taking the rest of the package, you are suffering big penalties or are unconscious, and will take a very long time to heal back up to a point where you don't pass out every time you try to do something. I'm not sure all those negative hit-points are worth, say, a +300% Godlike Tricks cosmic - it's not that good.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
weby

Default Re: I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
  • Immunity to Unconsciousness [30]
Where do you get that?

The whole Supernatural Durability thing talks about pain effects and Dying nothing about unconsciousness.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
Bruno

Knockout isn't listed under the stuff that Immunity to Pain in Divine Favor (page 10). It is one of the things someone with Supernatural Durability is immune to. It's a little unclear to me if they're supposed to be immune to the consciousness checks for being below 0 HP as well; I have erred on the side that they are. If they aren't, Knockout would be a category under Unconsciousness, and worth 20 points instead of 30.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Humabout

Consider that
  • Cosmic Basic Move 5 (Accessibility, Not below positive hit points, -20%*) [15]
  • Immunity to Pain [30]
  • Immunity to Unconciousness [30]
  • Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones; Accessibility, only at positive hit points,-20%; Cosmic, Can't be crippled at all, +300%) [38]
  • Unkillable 2 (Achilles' Heel, Megadamage, -10%; Achilles' Heel, One occassional substance, -30%; Doesn't actually turn into a skeleton, +0%) [60]
* Applied as a limitation on Cosmic to reduce its cost to +40%, giving Extra Move a cost of 3 points/level.

This covers everything in Supernatural Durability but has the annoying habit of adding up to ~175 points.

One thought that takes this away from RAW, but isn't 100% out of genre is to apply Achilles' Heel, One common substance (-30%) to Cosmic Move, Immunity to Pain, and ITUB, would bring us to [150] on the nose. He would have all of the effects of SD except against his Achilles' Heel, and he would never fall unconsious (which never seems to happen in the movies anyway).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
weby

Quote:
Knockout isn't listed under the stuff that Immunity to Pain in Divine Favor (page 10). It is one of the things someone with Supernatural Durability is immune to. It's a little unclear to me if they're supposed to be immune to the consciousness checks for being below 0 HP as well; I have erred on the side that they are. If they aren't, Knockout would be a category under Unconsciousness, and worth 20 points instead of 30.
As said supernatural durability does not seem to say anything about staying conscious, just alive.

And where do you get knockout being a common effect?
Is there some special rule somewhere that uses it a lot?
The standard combat found in characters used Knockdown that immunity to pain does help against.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
[*]Immunity to Unconciousness [30]
Where did you find that? As in is there something about the description of Supernatural Durability that I cannot just see that indicates that you should be immune to unconsciousness as you are Bruno both have this?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Where did you find that? As in is there something about the description of Supernatural Durability that I cannot just see that indicates that you should be immune to unconsciousness as you are Bruno both have this?
This isn't the first thread of this nature; see [Basic] [Powers] Supernatural Durability, Deconstruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Are we sure about these? The advantage writeup says you're immune to knockout, which AFAIK is a term only used for unconsciousness rolls due to taking a major wound or any damage to the head or vitals. I don't think that rolling to stay conscious below 0 HP is ever referred to as knockout, and therefore SD wouldn't make you immune to it, nor to Afflictions of unconsciousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead

Does Supernatural Durability include immunity to unconsciousness rolls at 0HP or less?
As it says, ". . . you are completely immune to shock, physical stun, and knockout" (emphasis mine). So the answer is yes.
However I wouldn't use Immunity to Unconsciousness [30] I'd use Immunity to Unconsciousness from injury [15], Because Immunity to Unconsciousness would make you immune to Aflictions, drugs, poisons, spells, etc, that cause Unconsciousness. And I don't see anything saying that Supernatural Durability does this.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
cost):[*]Immunity to Unconsciousness [30]
I wouldn't use Immunity to Unconsciousness [30] I'd use Immunity to Unconsciousness from injury [15], Because Immunity to Unconsciousness would make you immune to Aflictions, drugs, poisons, spells, etc, that cause Unconsciousness. And I don't see anything saying that Supernatural Durability does this.

Quote:
[*]Unkillable 1 (Achilles' Heel, Megadamage, -10%; Achilles' Heel, Something Occasional, -30%, Cosmic: Can keep going after -10xHP, +50%)
Never dies unless certain conditions are met is Unkillable 2.

Unkillable 2 (Achilles' Heel, Occasional, -30%;Achilles' Heel: Dies if takes 10XHP from 1 attack -??%; Cosmic: Not forced to fall unconscious at -10XHP, +50%; Injury not capped at -(HPx10) -??%; No Regrowth -24%) [??]

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 08-16-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
This isn't the first thread of this nature; see [Basic] [Powers] Supernatural Durability, Deconstruction?
And?

I do not see anything in that thread except claim that knockout is the term "knockout" is used to describe unconsciousness ay <0 hitpoints.

There is only one mention on Knockout in all of campaigns and that is "knockout drops" in one of the boxes.

There are several mentions of knockdown though but they are the immediate effect of injury from major wounds or head/vitals shock.

Edit: Trying to make it even clearer. I have not found any effect in the Basic set that causes "knockout" only a few abilities that give immunity to it. I thus see 3 options:
1) You are immune to knockdown
2) you are immune to going unconscious from knockdown when you fail by 5.
3) All those traits have no effect.

I have used #1 in my games, but could see #2 being true instead as possible.

Last edited by weby; 08-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
And?

I do not see anything in that thread except claim that knockout is the term "knockout" is used to describe unconsciousness ay <0 hitpoints.
The claim is made by Kromm.

Tags
immunity to subdual, supernatural durability, under the hood