Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Bruno

Default I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts

As the thread title says, I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts. Or something a lot like it anyways.

Another thread reminded me that I don't like the vague built-in Achilles' Heel of "Occasional or better" frequency - when the Occasional flaw is priced the same as the Very Common one, that just offends my sense of consistency.

There's also the annoying overlap between SD and Unkillable - I just can't shake the feeling that a creature that wants Unkillable 2 or 3 shouldn't be paying full cost if they already have SD (or alternately they should have a discount on SD if they are buying full-fledged Unkillable).

So, doodling around, I have this build, coming out to 145 points if you don't use Multiplicative Modifiers.

Extra Basic Move +6 (Accessibility, Only below 1/3 HP and above -1 HP, -40%) [18]
Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones (Cosmic, can't be crippled at all, +300%, Accessibility, Only when 0 HP or more, -20%) [32]
Immunity to Pain [30]
Immunity to Subdual [40]
Unkillable 1 (Accessibility, To -5xHT Only, -20%; Achilles' Heel, Some Occasional Thing, -30%) [25]

Notes:
Extra Basic Move +6 is to counter the halving of Move when you're dropped below 1/3 HP - but only until the new "below 0 HP" breakpoint. I chose 6 Basic Move for the generic template as a bit of an "everyman" value. Yes, the average person has Move 5, but folks with 150 point advantages tend to be a little exceptional at least, so I erred on the side of a little caution.

Cosmic, Can't be crippled at all, +300% was priced to make sure it cost more than the next best thing, which is Independant Limbs, Instant Reattachment, Reattachment Only (35 points). This puts the base cost of this version of Unbreakable Bones at 40 points, and then there's the Accessibility to make it line up with the way Supernatural Durability works.

Immunity to Pain, because they've got Immunity to Pain.
Immunity to Subdual, because that's the immunity to physical stun, KO, blah blah. Immunity to Subdual is from this thread. Feel free to replace with 20 levels of Hard to Subdue. This is a little overkill in some games, but it provides immunity to KOing or physically stunning spells, stupidly high level Malediction Afflictions of same, etc etc. In some games that really matters, in some games you might consider 10 levels to be "good enough" and never mind actual Immunity.

I feel pretty confident in the valuing of new non-Accessibility modifiers in this build; the Accessibility values were tweaked to try and get something close to 150 points in value that still felt vaguely defensible. That means they're sort of arbitrary, and I'd be happy with arguments that some of them are worth another -5% to -15%. If so, then Supernatural Durability might be overpriced by about 10% - that's not a bad margin of error for a big blob trait that's basically been grandfathered in from the previous edition.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immunity to subdual, supernatural durability, under the hood