Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Recommend a wiki for settings/campaigns

Greetings, all!

What it says on the tin, really. What wikis do you recommend for writing down a campaign? I know of Obsidian Portal and RPGnet, but I'm unsure of them, since one seems to be D20/D&D-inclined, while the other is associated with a place that is often deemed rather rude, by the opinions of some forumites. So I'm asking for opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Recommend a wiki for settings/campaigns

I've been using wikia.com for several years (http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/...Westmarch_Wiki). They've been a pleasure to work with.

Crakkerjakk just started his campaign wiki (http://abqgurps.wikia.com/wiki/ABQGURPS_Wiki) on wikia, so they still seem to be friendly towards small role-playing groups.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Wraithe

I really like Obsidian Portal. The basic setup is inclined towards D20, but in practice, it's pretty open-ended and they've seemed open towards getting more GURPS resources in place if anyone does them.

There's a GURPS campaign on there called "The Town" that really is a great example of how to leverage OP and GURPS. It makes me ashamed at how half-a**ed my campaign is on there. (I tend towards doing PDF/Apple Pages writeups. :))
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
I really like Obsidian Portal. The basic setup is inclined towards D20, but in practice, it's pretty open-ended and they've seemed open towards getting more GURPS resources in place if anyone does them.

There's a GURPS campaign on there called "The Town" that really is a great example of how to leverage OP and GURPS. It makes me ashamed at how half-a**ed my campaign is on there. (I tend towards doing PDF/Apple Pages writeups. :))
Agreed about Obsidian Portal; it's designed specifically for this, and works quite well.

Thanks for the comment about The Town, by the way; we all worked hard on it, though Cernig (the GM) obviously worked the hardest. We're getting pretty close to the end-game now - feel free to follow us, check out the adventure logs, etc.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
What it says on the tin, really. What wikis do you recommend for writing down a campaign? I know of Obsidian Portal and RPGnet, but I'm unsure of them, since one seems to be D20/D&D-inclined, while the other is associated with a place that is often deemed rather rude, by the opinions of some forumites. So I'm asking for opinions.
MediaWiki is super cool in a lot of ways, and easy to install, so that' my recommendation, if you can get the server space, either for free from a friend who runs a server[1]. The one problem with MediaWiki is that while it is extremely easy to install and get to run, a lot of features such as file/picture upload and hide-table must be enabled, and that requires working with server config files, which is difficult. I even had to use a cheap trick to change the logo, since doing it the official way kept breaking things, because I did something wrong and I have no idea what.

So basically if you can live with some features disabled and having to use a trick to change the logo - unless you know a lot more web/server stuff tan I do, then MediaWiki is a good package. The one thing that annoys me the most about other wiki systems is that often the article categories are concealed from visitors who aren't logged in. It shouldn't be necessary to log in to read a wiki.

[1] A friend of mine offered to host my wiki for some months, until I was able to rent server space (paid yearly), but his server was often down. Getting a free domain name is possible, although it's gonna be long and ugly, and I don't remember how or where I got it, but I can ask him.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
MediaWiki is super cool in a lot of ways, and easy to install, so that' my recommendation, if you can get the server space, either for free from a friend who runs a server[1].
Seconded, if you want/are willing to run your own wiki.
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Cernig

Wraithe, thanks for the very kind words on The Town - although Langy's being overly modest. I've an awesome group of players and as GM I often find myself hanging on to the tiger's tail for a wild and fun ride I hadn't expected.

As to Obsidian Portal, I've found it great for GURPS settings. Character sheets can be posted as links to PDFs or as images if you've generated them with GCS or GCA, which makes things very easy.
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Refplace

I have been planning on running a GURPS database for settings, house rules, home brew creations and finally an online playing setup. Possibly just a usergroup like a mailing list and forum but probably add chat later.
It still is a ways off as I am working on other things that actually pay bills before I am in a position to seriously work on it. However what would you guys like to see in that kind of thing? Or is it a total waste of time?
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

For the curious, I tried out wikia.com, and, well, I stuck to it. The project is still very green, but so far I haven't seen any problems with the tools they offer. Not too late to move to some other wiki, but kinda don't want to at this point. Ăthereal Sun wiki. Yeah, yeah, I know, it went even more from science fiction to fantasy than before.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 04-07-2012 at 03:15 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I have been planning on running a GURPS database for settings, house rules, home brew creations and finally an online playing setup. Possibly just a usergroup like a mailing list and forum but probably add chat later.
It still is a ways off as I am working on other things that actually pay bills before I am in a position to seriously work on it. However what would you guys like to see in that kind of thing? Or is it a total waste of time?
Id use it

Seems like something that could be worth while
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setting, setting wiki, wiki