Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
JMason

Default What happened to GURPS wiki?

Anyone know what happened to GURPSwiki.net?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: What happened to GURPS wiki?

I don't. I just tried to surf on it again and, then... pops!... It wasn't here anymore.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
JMason

Can anyone tell me when it was last up? I have not been keeping up with things since I have been very, very busy with school.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
rlbeaver

I think someone named Thona(sp?) was hosting it. Perhaps he's or the hosting company has fallen to the economic times...

I just looked, it resolves, but doesn't respond, so it might just be server/network issues. But I do see his email domain thona-consulting.com looks to be on a generic search site, so it doesn't look good.

Perhaps it's time to create a new one...

Last edited by rlbeaver; 01-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.
rlbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
dataweaver

How about GURPSnet? Nothing there yet; but anyone who wants to register and add content is free to do so.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Sanity

It was struck by multiple desasters.

First, the domain expired due to a lapse. It is now in the process of being recovered - so it is not going to a marketer.

Second, though, the servers went bonkers. I have some sites there, and it looks like a major failure in the storage infrastructure.

Third, the servers, once reconfigured, is going to move to another location - long planned, but now that things are down anyway the move will be done before they go up. The new install should be working around tuesday or wednesday next week.
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Sanity

And thoseintereted will be happy to know that the faulty setup has been replaced (Adaptec 5805, btw., with a total of now 14 discs attached, most being 300gb Velociraptors) and the GurpsWiki hosting files have been - recovered in full.
Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanity
And thoseintereted will be happy to know that the faulty setup has been replaced (Adaptec 5805, btw., with a total of now 14 discs attached, most being 300gb Velociraptors) and the GurpsWiki hosting files have been - recovered in full.
"faulty setup has been replaced" but still can't get into the thing. What the lastest going on with this.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
ClayDowling

If you're interested in doing this, I sell very affordable hosting. Contact me privately and I can get you set up. Running your own server is cool and all, but sometimes it's cheaper to pay somebody who does it full time.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
piotrus

A month has elapsed and the site still seems down. On the bright side, it is accessible via the Internet Archive (link). Still, I would strongly suggest migration of content to a service that is guaranteed never to go offiline - Wikia GURPS Wiki (which I am affiliated with and which I have just discovered). Why? Cause it is hosted on one of the largest wiki farms, which offers free basic hosting, and thus one has never have to worry about said wiki disappearing.
piotrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiki