Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #911
Mehmet
MIB
 
Mehmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Yeah. I got Daz 4 Advanced for $50, instead of $230 (I pretty much need the advanced versions anymore), and Reality 2.0 for $20 instead of $80. So, I managed to save a good $200+ by upgrading over Christmas. Which I turned around and spent on more content.

Reality has a sharp learning curve, and it is processor and time intensive. I'm running an 8-core i7, and MonkeyFist has an identical computer, so I export rendering to him as well. So, that picture of Meagen took nearly 20 hours to come out. The picture of Aven took only 8, because it's just using the Sun as a light source instead of several lights throughout the room.

Reality is NOT for the weak of heart. But, it is awesome.
Oh my. I should reconsider this then - I thought it had GPU rendering support by the way? I have an i5, 4 cores no HT. I run it at 4.3 GHz. I also have a now mainstream 6950 and was hoping to make good use of it since none of the games I have can push it to its limits. I really am not going to render for 20+ hours - 8 is more doable. So, do you think Reality would be a wasted investment for me?

Cheers...
__________________
My wife's music site, LadyObscure is for the prog/metal heads...
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #912
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

It depends. This picture has only been cooking for an hour on both computers (16 cores). Keep in mind I do "large" pictures. My pictures are, usually 1024x1325. I've got a hand-full of 1920x1080 (which won't be posted here due to characters I'm not willing to share copyright on).

Usually, I'll work on a scene before I go to work or bed (like now). And I'll leave the computer to render all day/night. Reality doesn't render like Daz or Poser, where you tell it to render and wait for it to finish. Reality just renders and lets you decide when it's done. It updates the screen as often as you'd like it to (me, I have it update every minute).

You're looking at needing about 1,000 samples/pixel for a high-quality picture. The picture above has around 310 s/p. Some pictures need more than others. The picture of Meagen needed about 4.3k s/p. The picture of Kalyn was 3.1k s/p.

If you're just using Daz for fun, and only using it occasionally, then you don't want to splurge on Reality. But, like me, where I use it constantly, it's an investment. And it really makes a difference.

(Rob, when that picture gets done, I'll put it on Bob's site for you guys to use, if'n you think you'd use her.)

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 01-06-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #913
Mehmet
MIB
 
Mehmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
It depends. This picture has only been cooking for an hour on both computers (16 cores). Keep in mind I do "large" pictures. My pictures are, usually 1024x1325. I've got a hand-full of 1920x1080 (which won't be posted here due to characters I'm not willing to share copyright on).

Usually, I'll work on a scene before I go to work or bed (like now). And I'll leave the computer to render all day/night. Reality doesn't render like Daz or Poser, where you tell it to render and wait for it to finish. Reality just renders and lets you decide when it's done. It updates the screen as often as you'd like it to (me, I have it update every minute).

You're looking at needing about 1,000 samples/pixel for a high-quality picture. The picture above has around 310 s/p. Some pictures need more than others. The picture of Meagen needed about 4.3k s/p. The picture of Kalyn was 3.1k s/p.

If you're just using Daz for fun, and only using it occasionally, then you don't want to splurge on Reality. But, like me, where I use it constantly, it's an investment. And it really makes a difference.
Ah, thanks for that. Progressive rendering, now that definitely is something to think about. I usually do full-screen native res renders (currently 1080p) so reality will be slow for me but I think I can wait and catch a deal (too bad I missed the festive season).

Cheers...
__________________
My wife's music site, LadyObscure is for the prog/metal heads...
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #914
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Thanks for this. Looks like my wallet will see some little black holes in the near future.
Here - have a little something to make the wallet shock a little less painful (assuming you make your purchase this calendar month), so you have more money left for games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
It depends. This picture has only been cooking for an hour on both computers (16 cores). Keep in mind I do "large" pictures. My pictures are, usually 1024x1325. I've got a hand-full of 1920x1080 (which won't be posted here due to characters I'm not willing to share copyright on).
...
(Rob, when that picture gets done, I'll put it on Bob's site for you guys to use, if'n you think you'd use her.)
In that outfit, she probably lives in one of the Crystal Cities of Venus... so, yes, I think we can use her. (grin)

Do you mind if she becomes a villain, or would you prefer she stay on the "good" side of the morality slider?
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #915
Mehmet
MIB
 
Mehmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Here - have a little something to make the wallet shock a little less painful (assuming you make your purchase this calendar month), so you have more money left for games.



In that outfit, she probably lives in one of the Crystal Cities of Venus... so, yes, I think we can use her. (grin)

Do you mind if she becomes a villain, or would you prefer she stay on the "good" side of the morality slider?
That was a £30 save, I owe you a lot of pints :)

Edit: yeah, leap of faith, bought both DAZ4 advanced and reality. I will figure out a way to make this work or will just switch back to XP 64 (no, I won't actually).

Cheers...
__________________
My wife's music site, LadyObscure is for the prog/metal heads...

Last edited by Mehmet; 01-06-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Addition
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #916
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Here is the final version of the girl in red. That was after 10 hours and had 2.93k s/p.

My native res is also 1080, but I tend to do my renders for a more useful printout on paper. And, if you use Reality, here's a final word of warning: don't use "Exterior" for any scene. It's been borked since Lux 0.7 and they haven't fixed it yet. It doesn't allow for true transparency and objects set to null ghost into the image anyway. Really, really annoying.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #917
Mehmet
MIB
 
Mehmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Here is the final version of the girl in red. That was after 10 hours and had 2.93k s/p.

My native res is also 1080, but I tend to do my renders for a more useful printout on paper. And, if you use Reality, here's a final word of warning: don't use "Exterior" for any scene. It's been borked since Lux 0.7 and they haven't fixed it yet. It doesn't allow for true transparency and objects set to null ghost into the image anyway. Really, really annoying.
My intellect knows that this woman is impossible but my eyes tell me she is real. I think I'm in love with Reality.

Cheers...
__________________
My wife's music site, LadyObscure is for the prog/metal heads...
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #918
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
My intellect knows that this woman is impossible but my eyes tell me she is real. I think I'm in love with Reality.
Bruno, you've got another convert.

Yeah. That's why I like it.

I have two pictures that I use to demonstrate why I switched to using Lux, full-time. I can't post the Daz render here as Pink's dress in it is practically transparent (erring on the side of caution), but the second picture comes out so much better (if you check my photobucket, the first picture is PinkDance03DSJ.jpg). I would have stopped working on the scene in Daz as I couldn't make it do what I wanted. But, it only took a few tries to get Lux/Reality to do what I wanted.

Keep in mind the only differences in the picture are:
#1. PinkDance03DSJ was rendered in with the Daz Studio Renderman engine and PinkDance03LuxJ was rendered with Reality and Lux.
#2. There are fewer lights in the Lux scene as Lux needs only the lights you're using, instead of additional lights to brighten the scene up.
#3. Eight hours.
#4. The File Name.

I've posted both of them on Bob Schroeck's Access Denied page to demonstrate, a while ago. I'm not even sure where I put them, but I think they're in the HandofBobb thread for Fenspace.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #919
Mehmet
MIB
 
Mehmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Bruno, you've got another convert.

Yeah. That's why I like it.
<snip>
I know I'm derailing this thread but yeah, the engine is amazing. Can't wait to start playing with it...

Cheers...
__________________
My wife's music site, LadyObscure is for the prog/metal heads...
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #920
Ze'Manel Cunha
 
Ze'Manel Cunha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Well, you might like Meagen, a character I did for a friend. She's still slender, but a bit meater than my normal characters.
Oy, that's a good one, very nicely done.

(I'm assuming you were aiming for a Slavic moll.)
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
art

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.