Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #4041
thorr-kan

Default Re: Island 2: 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
Island 2

The local year is 1636, and Europe has been turned upside down by the displacement of a whole town from the year 2000 to the year 1631. Grantville's residents, thankfully, believe that they were displaced in time rather than crosstime, but it's still worrying. When they become more advanced, they'll still have concrete proof that they were moved through space and/or time, and may get to investigating said occurrence.

Worse, Infinity has just found the timeline that Grantville came from, and the US government has spent the past 5 years analyzing everything that came from 1631 Germany in minute detail.

The origin point of Grantville might be a really good timeline to drop Infinity explorers--just another close parallel, until the find about about Grantville.

All credit to Eric Flint for creating the 1632 universe...either end could be interesting.
Have you read the other time displacements in the Assiti Shards universe? Your notes on the source universe echo Time Spike, so I'll assume yes. :)

I haven't read the Alexandria Inheritance yet, and I'm way behind on the 1632-verse. Someday. Maybe.

Buried in author's notes someplace are ramblings on other shards.

Quote:
(Island 1 is the timeline that Nantucket appeared from the 20th century into the bronze age. A jumper tried to go to that timeline, using a piece of Nantucket granite, and returned with a tale of horror.)
Would Island-3 be the timeline where Nantucket disappeared *from?* (I.e., the Emberverse or Dies the Fire series.)

Quote:
All Island timelines are strictly off limits.
I'll *BET* they are!
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #4042
fchase8

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Yes, by Paralabs, and specifically by Sheldrake Section, with help from academic consultants like Professor Rena Williams. I tend to assume that if Infinity files include a mana level rating for each world, it's always accompanied by a question mark, and if it isn't just blank, will have been determined by someone from Sheldrake (provisionally) or ISWAT, a debriefed Cabalist, or a wild guess based on the fact that some local fireballed an I-Cop.
I've updated the description to say, "Paralabs researcher."

Yes, even on normal worlds, any determination of mana level by Infinity would be shaky. With Conspiracy, it's not just the level that's weird, but how it all works/feels.

Quote:
I imagine that there's been some careful intelligence analysis and fairly aggressive "debriefing" of prisoners. Infinity would have a general idea, though they may be hazy on the detailed explanation.
Maybe Infinity has heard from Cabal prisoners that the Cabal prefers low-mana over high-mana worlds - but does Infinity believe that? Or does Infinity think that it is a ruse by the Cabal?

Even if Infinity has heard that the Cabal prefers low-mana worlds, I-Cops are not going to stop looking for the Cabal on high-mana worlds.

And with Conspiracy, the same prisoners could specify that there's a specific ban/warning on going to Conspiracy, but the prisoners don't know why. Just to generally increase the paranoia about the world.

Quote:
Well yes and no. It's pretty clear that saying "the Cabal has done X" actually always means "one lodge of the Cabal has done X, possibly with the tacit approval of one or two other lodges, and despite the grumbling of other lodges, probably while keeping things secret from any lodge they know would object..."
Even if the Cabal and Infinity work together at some point on Conspiracy, I would think it would be down the road, not initially. Appearing so early and out of the blue with such a forward, game-changing alliance seems too quick & easy.

A Cabal-Infinity alliance could be the end result of a campaign, where I-Cops run into mysterious actors who are on their side, or at least are 'enemy-of-my-enemy'. Only later, after discovering the initial nature of the enemies on Conspiracy (aliens, Black Book, etc.), does the Cabal approach Infinity. Or perhaps Infinity approaches the Cabal.

This could also play out with Aegis - Infinity initially doesn't know who they are, only slowly learns that they share common enemies, ending with an alliance.

Though with Aegis, Infinity would still have to keep The Secret - an advantage to any alliance with Cabal is that Infinity doesn't have to keep The Secret from them (and Cabal has the same feelings about not letting The Secret out).

Quote:
I always thought that Infinity-Cabal relations always involved a lot of cautious arms-length alliances of convenience, combined with occasional knives in the dark. There's a bit of chapter-heading fiction in Thaumatology that reflects how I imagine this.
Maybe there are certain I-Cops who have worked with certain Cabal members. But it always runs the risk of not just being used or betrayed, but of being co-opted.

Indeed, one of the themes in GURPS Conspiracy X is about Aegis' human enemy, the Black Book, who work with the aliens, initially to help protect humanity, but have been horribly compromised & corrupted by now (in Aegis eyes, anyway).

There are I-Cops who work with Cabal, but those I-Cops have been slowly agreeing to things no I-Cop should agree to (hurting, even killing, locals, for instance), all in the name of 'the greater good.' The alliance gradually becomes a Faustian bargain, an almost literal 'Deal with the Devil', and the Infinity agent's road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #4043
YankeeGamer

Default Islands oops

I had intended to have the jumper go to the timeline Nantucket left from--dies the fire. That would be a hell parallel.

Any Islands timelines would be terrifying--how terrifying depending on which quantum they're on. Even more terrifying if ISOT events happened between quanta...
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #4044
Astromancer

Krypton-11

This Q6 world was a fairly normal close parallel to Homeline. It had low manna and it seems that there were ghosts and possibly faeries. There seems to be some evidence that Atlantis was real. However, none of this was enough to make this world a Myth Parallel, in spite of there being actual wizards forming an acknowledged profession (such Wizards were too few to have much practical effect, but they were acknowledged as real).

This changed in 1931 when there was a series of reality quakes, the locals knew nothing about these but the Sheldrake Section of Paralabs has found evidence of the quakes. A large number of hidden/Lost Lands showed up in the isolated low-population corners of the world. At the same time, about ten percent of the world became Normal Manna, and 1% became High Manna, these areas are widely dispersed and tended to reflect local myth/folklore.

As these lost "worlds" began to be discovered and connected with the wider world their secrets and skills began to diffuse out as well.

Strange beings from an Antartic City contacted Washington in 1937 and explained that their telepathic scans of Hitler and Stalin appalled them. They were willing to teach American intelligence officers Telepathy and ESP. They also offered technological assistance. The fact they later had to ally with Stalin was distasteful, but Hitler was the priority. The physicians the Antartic Beings trained extended FDRs lifespan so that he could pursue his Second Bill of Rights after the war.

Meanwhile, ancient masters from Shambhala aided Chiang Kai-shek aid at key points allowing him to eliminate Mao's communists as a real force in Chinese politics.

Hitler and Stalin had secret allies as well. Hitler still ended up putting a bullet into his brain. Stalin, on the other hand, got aid from Agartha. They had looked at Hitler, he was closer to their hearts, but Stalin was the deadlier of the two, so they choose him.

The local year is 1950, Truman is in his first term as president. The tech level is TL7+1 in most of the world. Stalin's Russia might be ahead of that. The USA, the USSR, the UK, and France have Moonbases. China has a Space Program too, and with the War Lords gone and freed from colonialism off their backs, they look likely to make it work.

Mars seems to have changed since the Reality Quakes, although some scientists say that previous analysis of Mars was faulty. Mystics claim to have contacted the same Martian spirits that Swedenborg contacted. Others say more sinister things await. But Werrnher von Braum is still working on an expedition to the fourth planet.

Magic knowledge and talent has boomed and will soon affect the Effective Tech Level. Spies already use mystic power as much as possible, this world's George Smiley would be a mage.

From the Reality Quake on individuals of extraordinary ability have been showing up. There is even a man in blue long johns flying around.

The Cabal is interested in this world's mystic and psionic secrets, as is Homeline. Centrum is simply freaked out. All this weirdness has the real chance of becoming as dangerous as Caliph.

Noting that Stalin is still in control of Eastern Europe except for Western Czechoslovakia (certain mages in Prague drove the Red Army out of Bohemia and Moravia), Eastern Czechoslovakia is getting ready to proclaim itself Slovakia, even if he lost China. Centrum has decided to use Stalin and the USSR to gain influence on this world. They seem ignorant of how often those that tried to use Stalin got used.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 03-05-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #4045
PTTG

The attempt on Franz Fedinan's life failed, delaying WWI by two years. In that interval, a scientific conference occurred that otherwise wouldn't, and new standards for verification of published papers was established. Simply put, a clever system for rewarding scientists for publishing verifiable papers and performing peer review was established; this system also ensured that false or unverifiable papers would not be rewarded.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #4046
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The attempt on Franz Fedinan's life failed, delaying WWI by two years. In that interval, a scientific conference occurred that otherwise wouldn't, and new standards for verification of published papers was established. Simply put, a clever system for rewarding scientists for publishing verifiable papers and performing peer review was established; this system also ensured that false or unverifiable papers would not be rewarded.
Problems include (a) there is no evidence this is a serious concern in 1914
(b) there is no unified class of "scientists", every science has its own professional bodies, and its own sometimes slightly different traditions, so there is no body that could plausibly meet and even offer suggestions that would hold across "science"
(c) scientific conferences or organizations don't have much in the way of *resources* with which to reward people for anything
and
(d) the peer review system already works pretty well. The social concerns people have with "bad science" these days have little to do with what goes into the actual respected journals, it's all about what gets into the more popular media, and states are not going to surrender their control of the press and/or give up their traditions of press freedom because some scientific conference somewhere says they should be making the rules not the governments.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #4047
PTTG

Man, you're really not going to like my idea where Franz Ferdinand got eaten by a dragon.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #4048
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Man, you're really not going to like my idea where Franz Ferdinand got eaten by a dragon.
Actually I tend to be more tolerant of settings like that. Fantasy has license to be fantastic, it's the things that might appear to pass as realistic alternates that I want to see more of a nod to plausibility. Add a decade or two of lead in super-science and hey, a conference that might serve as a prototype for a Gernsback style World Science Council can fit right in.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #4049
Astromancer

Aubade-1

The Aubade worlds are near parallels with minor occult/mystic qualities that don't seem to change much. These are worlds with low mana but wizards aren't dominating things or very important. The existence of Ghosts or Faeries or Dragons or Unicorns or whatever is a proven fact, but most folks don't care.

Aubade-1 may be looking to change its status.

The local year is 1875, Spiritualism is booming. Ghosts have been an excepted fact for centuries now regular communication between the living and the dead is being established as a regular normal event. At the same time, the people and forces that led to the late Victorian Occult boom (still in the future) are still in place. More importantly, anthropology, archeology, and improved linguistic and literary studies are all bringing new insight into the occult sciences.

All this makes this Q5 world a bonanza to Homeline, and chance to be in on the ground floor of an occult revolution. The Cabal hates this, they want to keep mysticism as a monopoly, and they really hate Homeline, a major competitor, becoming magically competent. They must find a way to put a spanner in the works.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #4050
Astromancer

Roma-12

The Goddess Carmenta, although she had a Flamen, was of little importance in most parallels, but in one world, this goddess, associated with technological advancement was more important. At least to Augustus who built a temple to her and founded and richly funded a Library (which like the Library of Alexandria did research). Unique in the ancient world, the Carmetaria was interested in practical research.

The local year is 190AD. Paper, silkworms, mulberry bushes, the spinning wheel, and the box-bellows, have all been introduced to Rome by the Carmetaria. The servants of the Carmetaria search the world for useful skills, technologies, and plants, to bring back to Rome.

The PCs could be the researchers searching the world for useful stuff and trade secrets. They could also be Homeline researchers studying a transforming Roman Empire.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 03-11-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited