Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Help: Space Combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, because you need to change course and reach a different destination than where you were going afterward. No Hohman orbits for you!
That's mostly an issue if your delta-V is not just limited but extremely limited. Maximally efficient transfer orbits matter a lot less if you've got TL10 or even higher-end TL9 rockets.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #22
Frost

Quote:
Threatening to blow up ships unless their bank account back on earth transfers funds into your bank account on Mars is really stretching the definition of piracy.
As Ulzgoroth says its a logical extrapolation of both modern pirate tactics and to a certain extent airliner hijacking. Nor would it be unprecidented historically, various pirate groups in the Mediterranean derived the bulk of their revenue from selling safe conduct through their cruising grounds rather than looting specific ships.

As a strategy it has obvious advantages, it eliminates the need for forced docking and simplifies interception. It also reduces the difficulties involved in actually making a getaway, with no prize ships to crew and no goods to fence. OK hiding your raiding ship(s) is still going to be a bitch but you can't have everything.

Last edited by Frost; 09-06-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #23
cptbutton

Quote:
Threatening to blow up ships unless their bank account back on earth transfers funds into your bank account on Mars is really stretching the definition of piracy.
I think somewhere on Charlie Stross's blog someone suggested destroying cargo spacecraft in order to make killing on the relevant commodities markets. Which is even more of a stretch.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me out here, space combat, spaceships