Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Gef

Default Which ST to ready weapons?

Suppose I use a pole arm, and I don't want it to become unready, but I have a point budget to deal with.

Could I buy up Striking ST, increasing my damage with all weapons in the bargain? Or do I need Lift ST instead, or do I need to raise my base ST for this purpose.

I imagine Arm ST would work if I can picture my character built like a gorilla. If I have different ST in each arm, and wield a two-handed weapon, do I use the lower Arm ST, the higher, or some combination. My friends who practice Kendo say one arm is used for power and one for control.

Thanks,

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Which ST to ready weapons?

Either Striking ST or Arm ST would work.

Lifting ST would not do anything for weapons.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
NorthSaber

This topic I think surfaced in the google group as well - with a high striking ST you can end up with a character who could swing a huge axe easily but not be strong enough to carry it. I think the argument to base readying on striking ST was that striking ST works on quick, powerful motions, and readying a weapon is very similar from the muscles' point of view than striking with it. Still, the two should be kept as similar as possible to avoid weird situations as the one above.

Last edited by NorthSaber; 08-02-2005 at 04:15 PM.
NorthSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSaber
with a high lifting ST you can end up with a character who could swing a huge axe easily but not be strong enough to carry it.
Do you mean the other way round, perhaps?
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
NorthSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai
Do you mean the other way round, perhaps?
Oops. Yeah... =D *fixes earlier post*
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Striking ST is definitely the right quantity. An example of a creature with a high Lifting ST is a beast of burden: he could carry a big mortar on his back, but not fire it from his hands; he could drag a battering ram around, but not wield it by himself. An example of Striking ST is a cinematic martial artist who buys his chi abilities as advantages instead of as skills (like Power Blow). He can perform discrete, aggressive bursts (Strike! Parry! Ready!) but this doesn't mean he won't be horribly encumbered by an Exalted-style daiklave when not pumping his essence through it.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Striking ST is definitely the right quantity. An example of a creature with a high Lifting ST is a beast of burden: he could carry a big mortar on his back, but not fire it from his hands; he could drag a battering ram around, but not wield it by himself. An example of Striking ST is a cinematic martial artist who buys his chi abilities as advantages instead of as skills (like Power Blow). He can perform discrete, aggressive bursts (Strike! Parry! Ready!) but this doesn't mean he won't be horribly encumbered by an Exalted-style daiklave when not pumping his essence through it.
But, but, but...way back here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=678 you said that only Arm ST would help you to ready a weapon...when I posed the same question. Does that mean you've changed your mind, I'm missing some subtle difference in the wording of the question, or one or both of us is getting senile? ;-)

Quote:
Striking ST lets you hit hard. It's for things that can deliver momentary impulses far in excess of their sustained strength, like a cobra's strike or a martial-artist's power blow. Lifting ST lets you grab and pull in a sustained way using your whole body. Neither would help with reading weapons with the arms. For that, try Arm ST.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander
But, but, but...way back here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=678 you said that only Arm ST would help you to ready a weapon...when I posed the same question. Does that mean you've changed your mind, I'm missing some subtle difference in the wording of the question, or one or both of us is getting senile? ;-)
Actually, I was answering the wrong question here. I was trying to say "Striking ST adds to ST to see whether you can meet a weapon's Min ST." Being able to work around the "†" and "‡" conditions on Min ST incorporates elements of striking and lifting, and would indeed call for Arm ST. That's probably too complex to be fun, though, so since Striking ST is about whackin' things, I'd just be nice and say that all aspects of weapon use rely on Striking ST.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I was answering the wrong question here. I was trying to say "Striking ST adds to ST to see whether you can meet a weapon's Min ST." Being able to work around the "†" and "‡" conditions on Min ST incorporates elements of striking and lifting, and would indeed call for Arm ST. That's probably too complex to be fun, though, so since Striking ST is about whackin' things, I'd just be nice and say that all aspects of weapon use rely on Striking ST.
Bearing in mind, that's not what the RAW says.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifting st, striking st