Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: release triggers / accidental discharge of pull-triggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The "release trigger" (your finger lets go to fire) isn't something I can find covered in High Tech. It seems like something relevant to Major Wounds since per B420 if you fail your HT roll and get stunned, "if you were holding anything, you drop it" which would automatically fire a release-trigger rifle.
The closest thing to this that I can recall reading about before this thread (and I may be getting the details very wrong, so Caveat Reader) is a trigger that fires both on pull and on release, to allow you to get a two-round burst in a technically semi-automatic firearm, in the hope that the law will let you go on said technicality.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #12
Celjabba

Default Re: release triggers / accidental discharge of pull-triggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The "release trigger" (your finger lets go to fire) isn't something I can find covered in High Tech. It seems like something relevant to Major Wounds since per B420 if you fail your HT roll and get stunned, "if you were holding anything, you drop it" which would automatically fire a release-trigger rifle.

I don't know if that's necessarily something which applies to all stuns (ie mental stun from fear, the physical stun from unmodified Affliction) or only from the combination of "Knockdown and Stunning" from major wounds HT rolls.

For traditional rifles (pulling trigger fires) I'm wondering how we cover situations like where someone is hit and instead of dropping anything they're holding they might reflexively (unintentionally) grip it harder and accidentally fire off a round.

Or even if say they don't accidentally pull the trigger, if dropping the gun from a major wound and the gun hitting the ground might somehow set off some guns.

Mostly a consideration for stealth (gun sound) or if ammo limits (maybe you have 1 cartridge left) and safety (accidentally hitting an ally) though I don't know what you'd roll to see who was hit in terms of accidental discharges since there is no original target to miss.
For traditional triggers, the rules for Unsafe weapon and accidental discharge are in High-tech pg 80 (under handling)

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-14-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
accidental discharge, high-tech, pull trigger, release trigger, tactical shooting