Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #841
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
[*]What is the purpose of the "Auxiliary Craft" sheet, and how do I use it? I tried to load a cargo lighter I designed there from my "Saved Ships 1" sheet, but nothing showed up on the ships list for that sheet.
Two things you can do with Auxiliary Craft:
1) Create ships that are smaller SM than can be designed using the Spaceships rules. The three canonical examples in the existing ships are the Life Pod, Drop Capsule, and Stealth Capsule from the Designers Notes.
2) Create "dummy" ships to fill your Hangar Bays and Vehicle Docks without having to fully stat them up using the Spaceship rules. Especially useful for creating a Carrier and then fleshing out the small craft later.

Quote:
[*]I noticed that a non-superscience ship can't have TL^ auxiliary craft. Is that filter really necessary? Shouldn't size be the only qualifying factor?
Superscience ships also can't have Superscience Force Screens and Reactionless Engines. Auxiliary Craft are just another accessory, and if you install one on a non-superscience ship you are essentially stating that the ship is Superscience. So, yes, I like the filter. If you don't then either make the ship Superscience or click the checkbox "Don't filter systems by TL" in the upper-left corner of the design table sheet.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #842
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Two things you can do with Auxiliary Craft:
1) Create ships that are smaller SM than can be designed using the Spaceships rules. The three canonical examples in the existing ships are the Life Pod, Drop Capsule, and Stealth Capsule from the Designers Notes.
2) Create "dummy" ships to fill your Hangar Bays and Vehicle Docks without having to fully stat them up using the Spaceship rules. Especially useful for creating a Carrier and then fleshing out the small craft later.
Okay, that makes sense. An "Auxiliary Craft" has to be created there and saved to a "Saved Ships" sheet before it can be loaded from one. A few things though:
  1. On the "Design Table" when you enter the TL and SM values the other stats cells are filled with default values that are adjusted later by adding systems, design features and switches. Why can't these default values be generated on the "Auxiliary Craft" sheet too? (Empty cells only, of course.)
  2. AFAIK the Lwt. is always determined by the SM. It shouldn't be adjustable.
  3. There should be a validity check on the load so it doesn't exceed the LWt.
Quote:
Superscience ships also can't have Superscience Force Screens and Reactionless Engines. Auxiliary Craft are just another accessory, and if you install one on a non-superscience ship you are essentially stating that the ship is Superscience. So, yes, I like the filter. If you don't then either make the ship Superscience or click the checkbox "Don't filter systems by TL" in the upper-left corner of the design table sheet.
I guess that means no aircraft carriers equipped with secret flying saucers then. Pity. (Although I suppose they would give the carrier a superscience capability. ;-) ) And hangars don't have a "concealed" option ... yet. (Hint, hint.)

Dalton “you mean that's not a cargo door?” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #843
ericbsmith

Quote:
[*]On the "Design Table" when you enter the TL and SM values the other stats cells are filled with default values that are adjusted later by adding systems, design features and switches. Why can't these default values be generated on the "Auxiliary Craft" sheet too? (Empty cells only, of course.)[*]AFAIK the Lwt. is always determined by the SM. It shouldn't be adjustable.
Those default values are generated based on the rules in Spaceships. While they hold true for the Spaceships design system the general GURPS rules don't require a given SM ship to have a specific Mass. In fact, the vehicles in various GURPS source books, or future vehicles for that matter, will not necessarily follow the SM -> Ship Mass paradigm from the Spaceships rules. I suppose I don't see an issue with filling in a default Lwt based on SM if the Lwt hasn't already been filled out, however I see no reason to "lock" it to the ship mass from the Spaceships rules.

Quote:
[*]There should be a validity check on the load so it doesn't exceed the LWt.
I guess that's probably true, and easy enough to implement.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #844
DaltonS

Minor HTML Output bugs: 2 of the   indents for sub-system locations don't have closing semicolons. Also, there is a weapons table header output when there are no weapons.

Dalton “who can nitpick with the best of them” Spence
Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #845
ericbsmith

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 18
-More bug fixes, most notably the HTML output bugs
-The Aux Craft sheet will now set craft Lwt when you select SM if a value isn't already set; the Load will be limited to values between 0 and the Lwt.

You can download the spreadsheet here:

Excel 2000 (RC18)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (5.1 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (~2.5 MB)

Excel 2007 (RC18)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (~6.3 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (~6.2 MB)

OpenOffice 3.3.0 (RC9)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (~2.1 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (~1.9 MB)
Kaboom-baya.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #846
DaltonS

Quote:
Version 2.0 Release Candidate 18
-More bug fixes, most notably the HTML output bugs
-The Aux Craft sheet will now set craft Lwt when you select SM if a value isn't already set; the Load will be limited to values between 0 and the Lwt.
Just loaded it up. Weird. Before I imported my saved ships, I clicked the "Design Table" button while on the "Optional Rules" sheet and ended up on the "Unofficial Ships" sheet. Went to the "Design Table" via tabs, added a saved ships sheet, imported mine from the old file, clicked the "Design Table" button and ... ta-da ... actually ended up on the "Design Table". So that's one bug fixed. I think. :( Nope, it's back.

Quick question about Collapsible Fuel Tanks:
Quote:
Fuel must be pumped into the ships normal Fuel Tanks before it may be used.
Can it be pumped into a normal Fuel Tank while it's being used?

Dalton “whose cargo lighter will work better that way” Spence

EDIT: Thanks for the recharging rules for "Energy Banks". But you lost the label for that optional rule section. ;) Also, how do we apply power profiles to the different modes (charging, discharging, neutral)? BTW, reading from the "Jump Drive" rules (SS1 p.41) a 1 FTL jump requires 1PPh (Super Stardrives charge their internal capacitors twice as fast). An pre-charged external fast discharging Energy Bank could remove the charging time from this. This could be applied to other Stardrive types too; 1 PPh/FTL to enter/leave hyperspace or initiate warp drive.

Last edited by DaltonS; 03-01-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added P.S. regarding Energy Banks
Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #847
DaltonS

Today, some questions I somehow missed in our earlier discussion of Modular sections.
  1. What is the difference between a "Dual Standard" and "Large" module?
  2. How long does it take to attach/detach modular sections?
  3. Can a "ship" module be tele-operated after separation from a control room in the other section(s)?
  4. Could a module have an "Extradimensional Interface" (SS7 p.8) to reduce its external size and mass so it could attach to a smaller main ship?
Dalton “who likes extradimensional cheating” Spence
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #848
ericbsmith

Quote:
[*]What is the difference between a "Dual Standard" and "Large" module?
A "Standard" module is -1 SM smaller than the ship and takes up either the entire Front or Center section of the ship. A "Large" module is -0.5 SM smaller than the ship and takes up both the Front and Center sections of the ship. A "Dual Standard" is exactly what it sounds like - it is two "Standard" modules each -1 SM smaller than the ship and it takes up the Front and Center sections of the ship.

Quote:
[*]How long does it take to attach/detach modular sections?
I could make up some numbers for this, but my made up numbers aren't going to be any better than your made up numbers.

Quote:
[*]Can a "ship" module be tele-operated after separation from a control room in the other section(s)?
I don't see why not. It would need an engine and a Control Room (with or without control stations), but a module could certainly be designed to be an independent ship designed to operate on it's own or to be tele-operated. Think, for instance, the Enterprise-D from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Or the Prometheus Class from Star Trek Voyager.

Quote:
[*]Could a module have an "Extradimensional Interface" (SS7 p.8) to reduce its external size and mass so it could attach to a smaller main ship?
Dunno. Depends on how you think Extradimensional Interfaces work. I don't see why a module couldn't have an ExDI, the main issue with calculating performance is whether or not the ExDI stuffs the mass away into the extra dimension or not. If the SM+1/+9 ship still has the mass of a SM+9 ship then it's going to be extremely difficult for it to be mounted on a SM+1.5 or SM+2 ship, since it'll act like an anchor slowing it down (unless the larger ship also has an ED interface, packing away enough engines to push the SM+1/+9 ship)
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-02-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #849
DaltonS

Quote:
A "Standard" module is -1 SM smaller than the ship and takes up either the entire Front or Center section of the ship. A "Large" module is -0.5 SM smaller than the ship and takes up both the Front and Center sections of the ship. A "Dual Standard" is exactly what it sounds like - it is two "Standard" modules each -1 SM smaller than the ship and it takes up the Front and Center sections of the ship.
Okay, two modules instead of one. Perhaps the description should be changed from “A "Dual Standard" module takes up the entire Front and Center Hull sections,” to “"Dual Standard" modules take up the entire Front and Center Hull sections,” to clarify this.

Quote:
I could make up some numbers for this, but my made up numbers aren't going to be any better than your made up numbers.
Right, GM determined. You know, maybe I should stop complaining about sci-fi series that don't predetermine all their tech limits up front.

Quote:
I don't see why not. It would need an engine and a Control Room (with or without control stations), but a module could certainly be designed to be an independent ship designed to operate on it's own or to be tele-operated. Think, for instance, the Enterprise-D from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Or the Prometheus Class from Star Trek Voyager.
Or the original Enterprise in the classic series (according to the first Technical Manual and blueprints anyway). Uhmm, am I showing my age?

Quote:
Dunno. Depends on how you think Extradimensional Interfaces work. I don't see why a module couldn't have an ExDI, the main issue with calculating performance is whether or not the ExDI stuffs the mass away into the extra dimension or not. If the SM+1/+9 ship still has the mass of a SM+9 ship then it's going to be extremely difficult for it to be mounted on a SM+1.5 or SM+2 ship, since it'll act like an anchor slowing it down (unless the larger ship also has an ED interface, packing away enough engines to push the SM+1/+9 ship)
Quote:
The system reduces the effective SM of the vehicle for the purposes of external access (doors, etc.) to it, attacking it, or detecting it; and its effective mass and volume when storing or holding it.
SS7 p.8
I think that covers normal space operations. How the extradimensional mass/size of an ExDI module would be handled by external Stardrives, Exophase Fields, Parachronic/Time Flux Drives or ExDIs would very much be another "GM determined" decision. ;)

Dalton “who's thinking of nested TARDISs” Spence
Old 03-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #850
ericbsmith

Quote:
Or the original Enterprise in the classic series (according to the first Technical Manual and blueprints anyway). Uhmm, am I showing my age?
Ehh, that wasn't really designed to be a ship with modular sections so much as it was a design for continued operations after a catastrophic failure, allowing the saucer to detach from the engine section.

Quote:
Dalton “who's thinking of nested TARDISs” Spence
Do you want to implode the universe? Because that's how universes implode.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet