Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #31
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Corco's Villa

Ok cool beans!

Time to work on some morph templates! I'll have a look around in Monster Hunters and DF for some pre-worked ones and improvise from there. I know I want to do an elemental or two and a good "walking around' human(oid) one... Any suggestions for other sources?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Ok cool beans!

Time to work on some morph templates! I'll have a look around in Monster Hunters and DF for some pre-worked ones and improvise from there. I know I want to do an elemental or two and a good "walking around' human(oid) one... Any suggestions for other sources?
Gurps Animalia can publish its stat blocks with points attached. Though then you have to adjust the IQ

I created the "Generic Beast Template" on my blog specifically for estimating bestial morph templates on the fly.

Fantasy probably has some good templates and creatures.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #33
the_matrix_walker

Enter the DRAGON!

Vassarious

ATTRIBUTES
ST 30 [0]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 12 [20]

Will 14 [20]
Per 14 [20]

B.Spd 6
B.Move 6

ADVANTAGES
Combat Reflexes [15]
Danger Sense [15]
Destiny 3 [15]
Enhanced Parry 2, Style! [10]
Inner Alchemy! (as Wildcard Perk, PY3/61 p.12) [5]

LANGUAGES
Languages:
Draconic - Native [0]
English - Native [6]
Mandarin - Accented [4]

DISADVANTAGES
Code of Honor (Xia) [-10]
Divine Curse: Monster Magnet [-15]
Sense of Duty, Companions [-5]
Vow (Help people in need who ask) [-10]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]
Xenophilia (9) [-15]

QUIRKS
Attentive. [-1]
Believes in being a good host. [-1]
Curious [-1]
Thinks he's a great driver. [-1]
Wanderlust [-1]

WILDCARDS!
Ultimate Combat Style! DX! [60] 15
Face Man! IQ! [12] 14
Hunter! IQ! [12] 14
Occult! IQ! [12] 14
Tradecraft! (Py3/107 pg.12) IQ! [12] 14

SKILLS
Climbing DX/A [1] 11
Criminology IQ/A [1] 14
Karate (Improved from Style!) DX/H [4] 16
Tactics IQ/H [1] 13

DRAGON SKILLS
Aerobatics DX/H [1] 10
Flight HT/A [2] 12
Innate Attack: Breath DX/E [1] 12

Shape-Shifting Techniques
Active Change, +20% (Base Default -2) Body Control [3]
Improvised Forms, +100% (Base Default -10) Body Control -4 [7]
No Memorization, +50% (Base Default -5) SS-5 [0]
Unlimited, +50% (Base Default -5) SS-2 [4]

Color Skills
Art! IQ! [3] 12
Encyclopedist! IQ! [3] 12
Perform! IQ! [3] 12
Cooking IQ/A [1] 14

SUMMARY
Attributes [200]
Advantages + Languages [70]
Disadvantages/Quirks [-75]
Skills/Techniques [143]
Sub-Total [338]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Esoteric
Western Dragon Racial Template [444]
Spoiler:  

Masterful Training [55]
Spoiler:  

Character Sub-Total [338]
Esoteric Advantage [55]
Racial Template [454]

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-24-2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 05-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #34
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Added along with Escape.
I dunno, will Judo-22 be enough? :P
With all those arms, and your ST, I would recommend the Power Grappling Perk to shift to ST-based rolls for some of your grappling when it is advantageous, and the Sacrificial Parry Perk to share the love with all those beautiful unpenalized parries!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Here is the updated character with a few revisions and the power package at the end. I needed to find room for Combat Reflexes for obvious reasons, and I wanted to add Danger Sense for access to Precognitive Parry, so I lowered DX and HT. With the remaining points, I added the Style perks and a point of IQ, and increased their Wildcard skills with [6] points to [12].
I really like those changes.

It'd be nice to write PER and WILL as 14 rather than +4.
Quote:
I added a perk for Rules Exemption: Max ST limitations. Christopher Rice indicated he has a weapon-specific perk for that about to see publication, and that extra broad perks for Wildcard Styles is appropriate. Let me know if you don't like it.
Quote:
Rules Exemption, Style! Ignores Max ST [1]
It feels a little broad. I'd feel much better about a perk that increased the maximum ST (x5 instead of x3? maybe x7?) but requires the weapon to make a HT check or be damaged if it exceeds x3. I'm a little hesitant in this direction because I have plans to throw big behemoths at the group, and letting a dagger strike in that situation feels wrong. On the other hand, I have no trouble letting weapons do the extra damage if the target is similarly sized to the weapon, or has relatively thin but strong armor.

Quote:
I will smile upon weapons that feel "eastern martial artsy" having this perk.
smiles:
Quote:
Weapon Adaptation, Jutte/Sai to Karate [1]
Weapon Adaptation, Knife to Karate [1]
Weapon Adaptation, Kusari is a Style Skill [1]
Weapon Adaptation, Staff is a Style Skill [1]
scowls:
Quote:
Weapon Adaptation, Bow is a Style Skill [1]
Weapon Adaptation, Broadsword is a Style Skill [1]
Though I might possibly allow broadsword only for sticks. The bow feels really far afield here.

Quote:
I get that you may not care about exact point totals, but if you decide you do...
interesting thoughts. I think I'm mostly good with the setup. I would like to see something that emphasizes that the true form is "dragon" though... we should probably stick a "magic" power modifier on it.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #36
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I really like those changes.
Me too. The physical stats are easily compensated for by shapeshifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered
It'd be nice to write PER and WILL as 14 rather than +4.
I'll fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered
It feels a little broad. I'd feel much better about a perk that increased the maximum ST (x5 instead of x3? maybe x7?) but requires the weapon to make a HT check or be damaged if it exceeds x3. I'm a little hesitant in this direction because I have plans to throw big behemoths at the group, and letting a dagger strike in that situation feels wrong. On the other hand, I have no trouble letting weapons do the extra damage if the target is similarly sized to the weapon, or has relatively thin but strong armor.
Let me know what you'd like to do... I could dig into Low Tech to find the rules on increasing weapon weight to modify the ST stat... I just don't want too much Power Blow damage going to waste, and Shuriken and the bladed hand are very low ST weapons. I just figured it was easier to Perk away the obsticle.

Quote:
scowls:
Though I might possibly allow broadsword only for sticks. The bow feels really far afield here.
No love for the Daikyu and Katana!?!? I suppose I could stick to shuriken but the range is kinda eh... What are your feelings on "Super Throw" (Printed in Supers)? It does wonders for throwing range!
Quote:
I would like to see something that emphasizes that the true form is "dragon" though... we should probably stick a "magic" power modifier on it.
We could do that if you like... I was thinking of it as somewhat spiritual though, as he copies a creature's "essence", but it's all good.

I have been toying with the notion that perhaps he's not actually a dragon and is posing as one, and he's actually a creature like the D&D Mimic who gained proper sentience after eating a highly durable creature's living brain.

:D - Just an amusing musing...
Old 05-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Me too. The physical stats are easily compensated for by shapeshifting.
I mean, the physical stats will be relevant for a lot of shapeshifting: his typical human form will retain DX and HT unless he's intentionally shaping the body, but if you need to be extra agile, yeah, you can get it.

I was looking at potential templates the dragon will end up with, and anticipating decisions. Forms with Regeneration (like were-creatures, which the dragon has certainly experienced) should be ok, but they won't heal wounds previously acquired.

Quote:
Let me know what you'd like to do... I could dig into Low Tech to find the rules on increasing weapon weight to modify the ST stat... I just don't want too much Power Blow damage going to waste, and Shuriken and the bladed hand are very low ST weapons. I just figured it was easier to Perk away the obstacle.
I mean, V could always just add claws or a more elaborate striker/natural weapon to the current form, right?

I'm going to disallow the perk. I expect power blow to show up all over the place (in conjunction with something around 33% of all attack rolls), and a lot of the time, massive piles of HP will represent size, not durability.

Quote:
No love for the Daikyu and Katana!?!? I suppose I could stick to shuriken but the range is kinda eh
I mean, you can find most practical muscle powered weapons in china or japan in some form, and then find a name for them. When I say "Eastern Martial Arts", I suppose I'm referring to the defense schools using fists or simple weapons, with a few bizarre and traditional add-ons. That's what I expect out of an "Ultimate Style", and letting one wildcard skill cover striking, grappling, plus the very best of melee weapons and ranged weapons is too much.

Quote:
... What are your feelings on "Super Throw" (Printed in Supers)? It does wonders for throwing range!
Super throw feels too... super hero-ish.

Quote:
We could do that if you like... I was thinking of it as somewhat spiritual though, as he copies a creature's "essence", but it's all good.
That should still interact with magic, especially magic effecting souls though. Contrast with the mutant power source or with that biological one MH experiments use.

Quote:
I have been toying with the notion that perhaps he's not actually a dragon and is posing as one, and he's actually a creature like the D&D Mimic who gained proper sentience after eating a highly durable creature's living brain.
Please do specify one way or the other: it will matter.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #38
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I mean, the physical stats will be relevant for a lot of shapeshifting: his typical human form will retain DX and HT unless he's intentionally shaping the body, but if you need to be extra agile, yeah, you can get it.
I'm looking at using many of the Monster Hunters templates as a basis, which all have stat adjustments, and I will add more as needed.

Quote:
I was looking at potential templates the dragon will end up with, and anticipating decisions. Forms with Regeneration (like were-creatures, which the dragon has certainly experienced) should be ok, but they won't heal wounds previously acquired.
That's kind of weird. So the character would have two healing rates and separate pools of injury for a form with regeneration?

Quote:
I mean, V could always just add claws or a more elaborate striker/natural weapon to the current form, right?
Sure, sure... I wasn't certain how you'd feel about Limb strikers, ST-based Innate Attacks for weapons, or the like.

Quote:
I'm going to disallow the perk. I expect power blow to show up all over the place (in conjunction with something around 33% of all attack rolls), and a lot of the time, massive piles of HP will represent size, not durability.
My expectation is more around the 5-10% range. With an expected effective skill of 11 without concentration and the FP cost per attack, it's not going to be worth it most of the time. Some extra DX will help with some things, but Power Blow is Will-based so that skill level isn't likely to go anywhere through shapeshifting.

Quote:
I mean, you can find most practical muscle powered weapons in china or japan in some form, and then find a name for them. When I say "Eastern Martial Arts", I suppose I'm referring to the defense schools using fists or simple weapons, with a few bizarre and traditional add-ons. That's what I expect out of an "Ultimate Style", and letting one wildcard skill cover striking, grappling, plus the very best of melee weapons and ranged weapons is too much.
Maybe my head is too stuck in the old D&D samurai where they require Katana and Daikyu weapon specialization.

Quote:
Super throw feels too... super hero-ish.
Okay, it's your show!

I really wish they had printed that in another book and named it "Enhanced Throwing". The first level seems more like a cinematic martial arts or baseball pitcher advantage than a superhero power to me.

Quote:
That should still interact with magic, especially magic effecting souls though. Contrast with the mutant power source or with that biological one MH experiments use.
I stuck "magic, -10%" on it.

Combined with Once on Stay On, getting his ability shut off traps him in his current form, or forces him back into his normal form?
Quote:
Please do specify one way or the other: it will matter.
Eh, I think we'll just leave it.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Attributes beyond ST are unlikely to be included in power sets, as are skills: buy those with your base 300 points.
This applies to the templates used by the morph power, of course. I'm fine with treating exceptionally graceful animals with NFM (but no unnatural modifications beyond being weres) as an exception.

Quote:
That's kind of weird. So the character would have two healing rates and separate pools of injury for a form with regeneration?
Yes, though for a form with regeneration we won't bother with the pool when you're not in it.

Quote:
Sure, sure... I wasn't certain how you'd feel about Limb strikers, ST-based Innate Attacks for weapons, or the like.
They're just fine for some who can change their body shape at will.

Quote:
My expectation is more around the 5-10% range.
we shall see.

Quote:
Maybe my head is too stuck in the old D&D samurai where they require Katana and Daikyu weapon specialization.
I suppose there are a few different traditions that occasionally have fuzzy boundaries. There is the Kung Fu tradition (along with all of the rival schools of unarmed or mostly unarmed combat). Then there are ninjas (and yes, I'm at least partially aware that historical ninjas weren't really warriors), and then there are Samurai, which actually did dominate battlefields with battlefield grade weapons. Ultimate Styles strongly lean towards the Unarmed traditions, more of a D&D monk than anything else in the game.

Quote:

Combined with Once on Stay On, getting his ability shut off traps him in his current form, or forces him back into his normal form?
Most magical effects will do one or the other intentionally. If he just walks into an anti-magic zone? I'm leaning towards he's stuck, but you can choose either option right now.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #40
the_matrix_walker

I'm going to have to juggle some things and raise his physical stats if he can't use his shapeshifting to add to his DX and HT.

I feel like there are mixed messages a bit with the statement that I could add agility before...

Are you indicating that the non-ST attribute modifiers are to be removed from templates and can't be added?