Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #51
Skarg

Default Re: One on One simulation

IIRC the sim does Defend against pole charges.

90% - of what population was he fighting? That's always the question that skews the results. Against most 32-point people, he'll either do 2d+2 and drop or put them at -2, then very likely getting a second hit in.

Note he could also do two attacks at Adj DX 16 - one at 2d+2 and one at 1d+1... A human player could also do various bet-hedging based on what the result of the first strike was.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #52
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Agh, sorry for all the questions, I just find this sim very interesting.

If we take the top 40pt fighter with a Win rate of 91%:
ST9,DX20,IQ13,Rapier,No Armor,M.Fencer,Florentine,Shrewd.

Does this mean he is using two rapiers, shrewd attacks with both? So that his first attack is at adjDX=20-4 = 16 for 2D+2 damage, and his second is at adjDX = 20-4-4 = 12 also for 2D+2 damage.

I guess I'm surprised this figure would have a win rate of 90%, as I would have thought if pole weapons go first -- and he isn't defending -- he would lose regularly even if not usually to the pole weapons. If he is defending the first charge, that would be very effective, although still suffering 5% auto-hits with little ST or armor. (I see the nemesis is a poleaxe)

Also his first rapier will be hitting for 2D+2, and that's good damage but it will frequently fail to knock the opponent down. And then Mr Rapiers is at high risk of being knocked down himself by his opponents first attack, before his second rapier at adjDX 12 happens.
That warrior does use an extra attack with the second one at -4DX but a master gets 1d+2 extra damage for shrewd attacks so his attacks are a whopping 2d+4, giving them better average damage than a battle axe!

Another thing to consider is that enemies get -3DX to attack them with melee weapons.

However, I noticed that the armor value was fishy for this warrior and that led to finding at least 3 bugs in my code. Thanks, this is very helpful!

Had to rerun all the simulations many times to find/fix these bugs :(.

The rate dropped to 89% :).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #53
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
IIRC the sim does Defend against pole charges.

90% - of what population was he fighting? That's always the question that skews the results. Against most 32-point people, he'll either do 2d+2 and drop or put them at -2, then very likely getting a second hit in.

Note he could also do two attacks at Adj DX 16 - one at 2d+2 and one at 1d+1... A human player could also do various bet-hedging based on what the result of the first strike was.
Warriors are only fighting against warriors with the same attribute totals but potentially different XP because they have different combinations of expertise, toughness, shield expertise, UC, and brawling. It's not all possible combinations but it does vary (you can see it in the names of the warriors).

For "original settings", the match-ups are all warriors vs all warriors, including the current one, so you get A vs A, A vs B, and B vs A.

For the default settings, there is only A vs B and warriors don't fight copies of themselves, so there are a bit fewer than half the fights.

In each match-up, the warriors fight 15 times.

Note that damage for this warrior is 2d+4, not 2d+2, and opponents get -3DX to hit. It's quite a formidable foe.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #54
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
That warrior does use an extra attack with the second one at -4DX but a master gets 1d+2 extra damage for shrewd attacks so his attacks are a whopping 2d+4, giving them better average damage than a battle axe!
Ah ok, I had read the mastery rules as the shrewd attack giving 1d+2 bonus instead of, rather than in addition to, the normal +2 bonus. But your interpretation of 1d+4 does seem like a more straightforward reading.

Also I was looking at Weapons Master, not Fencing Master. Fencing master not only comes loaded with two weapons, it gives a better bonus to defend (-3 vs -2), and the Shrewd attack is -3 DX rather than -4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
The rate dropped to 89% :).
That is impressive, and I don't think I would have grokked the power of this build without the sim.

Last edited by RobW; 11-09-2018 at 08:02 AM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #55
Nils_Lindeberg

As I am looking forward to receiving my Legacy box, a friend of mine in Stockholm got it a few days ago, I got back into the forum. I'm happy to see the sim is alive with new data, and in a language that can actually be used by others, hehe. You did an excellent job Zot. Kudos!
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #56
Jack O'All Trades

Hoping to resurrect this thread, and note that the underlying code might be even more useful now that we all have Legacy!

One thing I note is that shortswords, hammers, and small axes are completely missing from the current results (that I can find). Are they just inferior weapons?
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #57
hcobb

Factor in that the lightweight low ST weapons are cheap enough to be fine or very fine?
Old 03-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #58
Axly Suregrip

I noticed you prefer Shields over Armor. But do you remove the shield protection when the character is knocked down? In this case having the heavier armor & lighter shield is better.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #59
Axly Suregrip

Thanks for doing this simulation. I have a question.

On the 32p page, row 6 is the Naginata Expert. He has a 1 in the Expert column. What is he an expert at? I thought that would be Shield Expertise since he has an IQ10 but Naginata is a two handed weapon, so no shield. Weapon Expertise is at IQ11, so that cannot be it.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #60
Axly Suregrip

BTW, the Naginata is no longer a ST 10 weapon doing 1+2. See ITL page 111. Naginata is now the same as the spear.