Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #27
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: One on One simulation

And when it comes to the balance point DX wise to wear armor it all depends. Mostly it depends on the enemy's weapon. At low level you have less points to put into DX so high armor values are more costly, but at the same time if you fight low ST enemies then their damage will be low and armor is more valuable.

So if you are a low attribut char fighting high attribute chars, armor is probably a bad investment, since their weapons average damage will be proportionally higher than you armor.

But if it is the other way around, you are the high level char and you fight minions, then the armor you can have will be high compared to their average damage.

Normally 1 handed weapons stops doing extra damage at ST 13. You only need IQ 10 and DX 12 for Expertise. So at 32p you get either armor or expertise and a small shield. At 36p you can afford expertise and about 3 points of lost DX, so Tower Shield and Cloth. At 40p that turns into Tower Shield and Plate or at least chain to have some extra DX for enemy DX penalties.

The real limit here is 1h weapons stopping at ST 13.

I created a list of weapons all the way up to 20 for 1h, 2h and pole arms. Adjusted some weapons by 1/2 or 1 point to make the scaling of damage more even. And now the sim shows 1h weapons at ST 14 and 15 to be the big winners at 40p level, but most weapons show up in the top 10%. All in all shields are much better in my sim, but I am not so sure I would take it over armor in a melee or dungeon.

Making the 2-h weapons a little stronger made them more competitive now that there is two expertise talents for sword and board and only one for 2h-weapons. And with that change came more builds using heavy armor, because shield wasn't an option for 2-h builds.

So maybe a balancing act would be to improve 2-h expertise. If you have Sword Expertise, and you use a 2-h sword you get some extra bonus that is not available to sword and board builds. Maybe a 1 less armor penalty, 2 less armor penalty or some such to represent that you have learned to trust your armor more and use it actively when fighting without a shield.

In short you get 1 extra bonus if you have weapon expertise and fight without a shield. And 2 extra bonuses (like you get now) if you have Shield expertise and use a shield.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote