Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Settings and Adventures I love

OK, so in another thread people are asking SJG to publish certain things, ignoring the fact that SJG is quite willing to publish them but writers are less inclined to write them. In my admittedly not so humble opinion I think an appeal should be made to the writers we love if we want more of that product.
EDIT: This is mostly for Adventure and Settings, though other supplements you really want to see are good to. The hope is this thread will inspire a writer, so please keep it positive.
So without further ado....
J. Edward Tramlett
I love his material, I may never use it as is since I run kitchen sink campaigns but his material is almost always inspirational in a way I can work with.
We have mostly seen his work in Pyramid and I have told him and Christopher Rice that I would love to see more of Mr. Tramletts work.
If he publishes an adventure or a setting I am buying it.

Matt Rigsby
His Renaissance period stuff is really useful. I would love to see adventures that use his Locations and Hot Spots material as well as his other works like Vehicles and the upcoming project. Not sure the title has ben announced so keeping that vague.

Douglas Cole

I will never run the Nordland setting, like I said I prefer to make my own and do kitchen sink campaigns. However his material is top notch and useful in typical fantasy. I just got the hardcover Bestiary today and it looks wonderful. As do the monster cards. Pretty sure I purchased everything but Delvers to Grow for this setting and I would love to see more and for it to be talked about more.
His announced and upcoming Mission X sounds like a great SciFi entry that I really am looking forward to as well.

David Pulver
He has written some setting material and I like it but am eagerly awaiting one that was announced a few years ago that has not appeared yet. I am really hoping it is not dead!
Technomancer would be good to see published for 4e.

Phil Masters
Written some great Powered By GURPS material and I would like to see some adventures set in those if the licensing allows for it.
I am pretty sure he is GURPS most prolific setting author with short ones like Alchemical Baroque, Age of Gold, Clock World World, Transhuman Space, and more.
Ken Hite
Unlikely to see more of his since he has his moored his ship elsewhere but he put out some great stuff, including Madness Dossier.

ArchAngel Beth
I do not know why it hasn't happened but a 4e version of GURPS In Nomine would be fantastic and the material for the In Nomine game could likely be easily used, that includes several adventures.
This suffered from being published in 3e but I feel would work so much better in 4e.

This is just off the top of my head, there are plenty more out there!
Including the recently released GURPS Nightreign which is a fun setting.

Counted Replies
4e Settings
  • Action
  • After The End
  • Banestorm
  • Infinite Worlds 2 votes
  • Madness Dossier
  • Monster Hunters
  • Reign of Steel 2 votes
  • Tales of the Solar Patrol 2 votes
  • Traveler: Intersteller Wars 2 votes
Of these Banestorm, Infinite Worlds, Reign of Steel, and Traveler have additional material to support them.

3e Settings suggested in replies.
  • Autoduel
  • Atomic Horror
  • Cabal 2 votes.
  • Hellboy (3rd party license)
  • IOU
  • Ogre
  • Technomancer
Other Ideas
  • Powered by GURPS: Toon (aimed at very young people, prefbly with nonviolent focus or at least option) 3 votes
  • Themed Adventure compilations as was done for 3E. This could be done as a kickstarter allowing several authors to get in on it for more variety. Examples were Cyberpunk Adventures, Fantasy Adventures, Martial Adventures, and Time Travel Adventures.
Read on for more details, also things I missed or haven't updated yet!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 06-22-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Settings and Adventures I love

Going by products I've bought, my best GURPS authors are Sean Punch, Jason "PK" Levine, and William H. Stoddard. Because even if I can have too many options, I can never have too many optional rules.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
KarlKost

My favorite settings are Reign of Steel, Infinity Earths and Insterstellar Wars. I wish there was a visit on the universe of Traveller by the Infinity.

And one thing I would love to see, is the AI Brisbane from Reign of Steel to develop parachronics, or to acquire it from Infinity. Brisbane would make the perfect master villain for the multiverse of Infinity Earth; I wanted to introduce that idea to my players, but sadly I never had the chance.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
sparcipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Technomancer would be good to see published for 4e.
Wasn't this updated in one of the later Pyramids?
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Going by products I've bought, my best GURPS authors are Sean Punch, Jason "PK" Levine, and William H. Stoddard. Because even if I can have too many options, I can never have too many optional rules.
Yeah I was just going with settings and adventures rather than crunch as that list would be far too long :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
My favorite settings are Reign of Steel, Infinity Earths and Insterstellar Wars. I wish there was a visit on the universe of Traveller by the Infinity.
I would like to see Infinite Worlds expanded more but at least it is still getting some new product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
Wasn't this updated in one of the later Pyramids?
A bit, but its kind of buried and I think a full supplement would be a good addition to GURPS. And it could be worked into both Action and Monster Hunters pretty easily.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
sparcipx

Quote:
A bit, but its kind of buried and I think a full supplement would be a good addition to GURPS. And it could be worked into both Action and Monster Hunters pretty easily.
Ahhhh, I haven't read so much as skimmed the article, so I thought it was a full 4e treatment. If that's the case, yeah, a full 4e Technomancer supplement would be neat.

I don't really have a favourite GURPS author per se, they're all great so it's hard to choose. As for settings...

Banestorm and Infinite Worlds are my top picks. I'd given both a resounding meh when I first got into GURPS in 2019, but after having read then experienced the settings, I found they were both a lot of fun.

Next would probably be GURPS Autoduel, I.O.U., I.O.U. It's Not Just a Game, and Fantasy II... especially when mashed up into one adventure with liberal dashes of Infinite Worlds, Spaceships 7, a caged demon, and a certain parody character from Autoduel Quarterly...

Last edited by sparcipx; 06-18-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Clarity and grammar
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:30 AM   #7
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Yeah I was just going with settings and adventures rather than crunch as that list would be far too long :)
Ah, the fact that you categorized them by author threw me off.

In that case: my favorite settings are Atomic Horror, Tales of the Solar Patrol, and Tokyo Psience Police (Pyramid 3/29). Both Atomic Horror and Tales of the Solar Patrol feed my love of the style of early sci-fi movies/serials and TV. All three have reasons why they don't need to be taken seriously, which is something I desperately need when telling a story.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #8
Gollum

I bought GURPS a long time ago because it is universal and was almost the only serious universal role playing game in that time. There was some others, but very few, and they were not as comprehensive and consistent as GURPS ...

If I loved only one genre, I would have bought a role playing game designed to that specific genre. Of course, there are some genre witch attract me more than others. I love the world of Call of Cthulhu, for instance. But what I like above all is the possibility to play in a different game world as often as I want it.

What makes me feel sad about GURPS is the lack of adventures. Not just one shots. There are some, and there are even more and more. No, what GURPS really lacks, in my humble opinion, is campaigns.

GURPS character creation is long. And that is fine because you can create exactly the character you have in mind. So it is not a waste of time as long as you can play them in several adventures.

But GURPS doesn't offer that yet. While other roleplaying games, even generic and universal ones, do.

So, since I'm not very good to design interesting adventures, with a good and surprising plot, I buy them ... by other publishers. My personal library is full of GURPS supplements, but I buy more and more Chaosium's, Fria Ligan's, Pinnacle Entertainment's and some other publisher's products, and mainly play them ... with GURPS rules! It is a pitty because all that money isn't used to support my favorite role playing system.

Thus, I would buy any ready to play campaign, for any genre or game world. Not one shots. Not worlds with seeds of adventures. Because both imply that I would have to design my own adventures by myself ...

No matter the genre, no matter the world. And no matter the author. The level of quality of GURPS books is so high that I always read GURPS books with pleasure.

All what I need is a series of adventures that can be played with the same group of player characters to stop buying them by other publishers.

Please, take my money! And feel free to write and publish what you love the most. I will buy it if it is really ready to play.

Last edited by Gollum; 06-19-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
thalcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
What makes me feel sad about GURPS is the lack of adventures. Not just one shots. There are some, and there are even more and more. No, what GURPS really lacks, in my humble opinion, is campaigns.
Short campaigns! I think a survey from WoTC showed that the average D&D campaign lasts only 6 sessions. That's probably a good estimate across various games. So it doesn't have to be an epic product on the scale of Drinax, Mountains of Madness, or Enemy Within - it could be much smaller and more focused. Time to bring back Orcslayer? :-)
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

GURPS character creation is long. And that is fine because you can create exactly the character you have in mind. So it is not a waste of time as long as you can play them in several adventures.

But GURPS doesn't offer that yet. While other roleplaying games, even generic and universal ones, do.

So, since I'm not very good to design interesting adventures, with a good and surprising plot, I buy them ... by other publishers. My personal library is full of GURPS supplements, but I buy more and more Chaosium's, Fria Ligan's, Pinnacle Entertainment's and some other publisher's products, and mainly play them ... with GURPS rules! It is a pitty because all that money isn't used to support my favorite role playing system.

Thus, I would buy any ready to play campaign, for any genre or game world. Not one shots. Not worlds with seeds of adventures. Because both imply that I would have to design my own adventures by myself ...

No matter the genre, no matter the world. And no matter the author. The level of quality of GURPS books is so high that I always read GURPS books with pleasure.

All what I need is a series of adventures that can be played with the same group of player characters to stop buying them by other publishers.

Please, take my money! Andfeel free to write and publish what you love the most. I will buy it if it is really ready to play.
Same here! The adventures don’t need to exactly match what I’m looking for - they can be merely close, and I’ll fill in or tweak it to fit my concept.

But, for the love of Fnord! Publish SOMETHING!

I don’t want to buy adventures or world books for other game systems, because they come with all sorts of assumptions that don’t work with GURPS, so would require a lot of tweaking.

I know DF/DFRPG was an attempt to get “beer and pretzels dungeon crawl”, but it’s aimed towards
  • Hack’n’slash
  • Total lack of social intricacies and lack of a wider world beyond “The Dungeon” and “Town”
I find that hack’n’slash is pretty boring; if I wanted hack’n’slash, I’d play any of the numerous computer RPGs that have been around for literally decades.

I’m interested in running or playing in games that can be summed up as “explore a wide world, meet and interact with fleshed-out characters and societies”.
Sadly, SJGames does not make those. Which is too bad, because like most people these days, I don’t have 40+ hours to devote to creating a world book with maps and interesting locations and people, or finding or buying art assets.

But what I do have these days, is MONEY. And I’m happy to exchange money for pre-built adventures published by the SJGames team.