Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2022, 12:29 AM   #21
RyanW

Default Re: LogHP Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I read it as 2+8 = 8.
But I found the table version easier to read before - my brain has been trained...
That would suggest the accumulation rules apply if either the accumulated or additional damage is 3+. That would resolve the issue. But now that I'm thinking about it again, it seems like 3+1=5, unless I am completely missing some exclusion for small damage.

I've been working on a LogDam/HPless system, and eliminating as many special cases as possible is a major goal, so maybe I've blinded myself. Falling damage is handled exactly the same as ramming a many-billion ton foe. Pixies aren't incapable of harming one another. 0+0=2.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:19 AM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That would suggest the accumulation rules apply if either the accumulated or additional damage is 3+. That would resolve the issue. But now that I'm thinking about it again, it seems like 3+1=5, unless I am completely missing some exclusion for small damage.
Yea, wording. I'll clean it up a bit more to provide for low damage cases. 1+1 = 2, 3+1 = 4.

Quote:
I've been working on a LogDam/HPless system, and eliminating as many special cases as possible is a major goal, so maybe I've blinded myself. Falling damage is handled exactly the same as ramming a many-billion ton foe. Pixies aren't incapable of harming one another. 0+0=2.
Usually you at least do fractional damage with a Pixie, otherwise zero will be an issue regardless.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:54 AM   #23
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Usually you at least do fractional damage with a Pixie, otherwise zero will be an issue regardless.
My LogDam system is perfectly happy to do "fractional" damage without flinching.

.02 damage against a .015 DR, .07 target? No problem. -12 Dam against -13 Prot equals -15 Injury. Against a -9 RT target, that's a -6 level wound. 'Tis but a scratch.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #24
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
My LogDam system is perfectly happy to do "fractional" damage without flinching.

.02 damage against a .015 DR, .07 target? No problem. -12 Dam against -13 Prot equals -15 Injury. Against a -9 RT target, that's a -6 level wound. 'Tis but a scratch.
... and while I wouldn't have a problem using a system like that it would be a hard sell to any of the players I've had recently. It's too abstract and too crunchy. If it takes longer than a few minutes to explain just taking damage, players eyes tend to glaze over.

Furthermore, I haven't ever really needed fractional numbers to represent anything. Even a pixie (alternatively a cat or rat) can be represented well with low rather than fractional numbers.

"I hand you damage markers when you take damage" is perhaps the easiest, most tangible system for players to get and the log stuff is best hidden under the hood.

FWIW, this is intended to work with KYOS. Otherwise large animals and vehicles tend to get an unintended durability boost.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote