Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #1511
Bruno

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"Stop looking at me like that, doctor. It really was a once in a lifetime accident." I had to spend a good minute laughing at my near tragedy.
It does occasionally happen - but actual accidents tend to be pretty severe injuries, rather than embarrassing-but-funny blockages. If it's a large enough object to get stuck, then hitting it with enough force to do so is really bad. Like, welcome to your shiny new colonoscopy kind of injuries, and possibly "and then it came out the side of my abdomen" kind of injuries.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #1512
Flyndaran
Untagged

The embarrassment means few people go to the ER for "butt-stuff" that isn't of a very serious nature.

I only would have dropped about a foot, and even if it hit "bull's eye", would almost certainly not have caused anything other than soreness. I think. Butt what do I know about that kind of thing?

Would certainly make for one of the more disadvantageous example of Weirdness Magnet.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #1513
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Tourist scorns native ceremony to appease the jungle goddess, goes mad and runs off into the jungle for 9 days, kept alive by monkeys. Is recovered after a team of dedicated shamen buy his soul back from the jungle goddess.

I want to hear how much they finally had to sacrifice to get him back.
Reading that story I found it to have more potential than I initially thought. The ceremony involved coca leaves and cigarettes. He may have insulted the spirits just by not wanting to do drugs with strangers.

You're going to earn that teetotaler quirk today, Dai Blackthorn.
(Gurps character that doesn't do drugs, including alcohol.)

Edit: the more I read that story, the more interesting it gets. His stepmother identified a sock the searchers found as his. I couldn't identify my own tattered sock in the jungle.
Really interesting in how Maykool himself believes his survival was due to his, a different, god.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 03-27-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #1514
William

Phat lewt: Thieves steal 100kg gold coin from museum. The coin has actual value as legal tender -- 1 million Canadian dollars -- but is worth about 4.5 million USD by weight of gold (which will probably happen to it, as it's completely impossible to fence unless a collector is buying it for the secret joy).
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #1515
Flyndaran
Untagged

Police suspect more than one person was involved... carrying the 221 pound gold coin through the museum, up a flight of stairs, out a window, and down a ladder across a railway track.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #1516
Dalillama

Quote:
Police suspect more than one person was involved... carrying the 221 pound gold coin through the museum, up a flight of stairs, out a window, and down a ladder across a railway track.
Individual firefighters have been known to climb stairs and ladders while hauling such a weight; it's theoretically possible that a single person could've done it. A very large, strong, fit person.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #1517
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Individual firefighters have been known to climb stairs and ladders while hauling such a weight; it's theoretically possible that a single person could've done it. A very large, strong, fit person.
I'm sure that I could physically carry someone that weight through a similar facility. I'm too clumsy to not bang into things though. Then again, giant awkwardly shaped coins aren't easily manhandled people.

But that aside, nearly all major heists involve multiple people anyway.

It just felt like such an obvious assumption and one that wouldn't affect the investigation that I couldn't help but laugh.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #1518
cptbutton

Quote:
I'm sure that I could physically carry someone that weight through a similar facility. I'm too clumsy to not bang into things though. Then again, giant awkwardly shaped coins aren't easily manhandled people.
I would hope that when planning a heist like this you would include some kind of box/pack/set of straps for carrying the specific loot, regardless of how many people are doing it.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #1519
Dr. Beckenstein

Some questions come up with this.

1) Maybe there is a collector who really wants or need this coin?

2) If yes, what could be his motives?

3) Has the heist something to do with this bucket of gold that was stolen from the unguarded truck in New York, a few months back?
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #1520
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
The deliveryman brought in the washer and dryer by himself, one under each arm (shuffling sideways through doors...) My mother immediately offered to rent him a room at half price if he'd move things for her.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox