Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #941
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Possibly adding reflexive on his control matter ?
And/or going all the way and making his control matter a wildcard power. It would remove the need for the separate corrosion attack and the TK, and give him more options...
He is about the only marvel being that can last more than a second against the beyonder, he need more defence :)
Agreed on that last point. (Beyonder probably won't be in the Reboot; the malevolent cosmic entity known as The Quesada tends to operate through more subtle agents....)

Reflexive and/or wildcard are probably the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba
He also miss his hyperspace travel portals (warp ?),unless you don't want them in your reboot ?
To be fair, he did get a massive power boost following the Secret Wars crossovers, when he got over most of the mental blocks he'd imposed on himself. Those portals weren't in his '85-'86 OHOTMUDE entry, so I didn't really think about them all that much.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #942
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Not sure why you would slap Reflexive on the Control Matter power when you have a Cosmic Corrosion attack sitting right there! 3dx5 damage will parry a hell of a lot, and Cosmic Corrosion should stop pretty much everything, possibly even traditionally "energy" attacks like lasers (which Control Matter has no chance of stopping, unless you allow it some form of power parry). If surprise attacks are the issue motivating Reflexive, Danger Sense is the real answer.

That said, at a Power Parry of 8 (for the Corrosion Attack) or Power Block 9 (for Control Matter), hes going to need Enhanced Defense or some power talent to make it reliable.

I think Id vote for a Force Field if his defense are reliable enough that he holds off cosmic entities with it...
Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #943
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Not sure why you would slap Reflexive on the Control Matter power when you have a Cosmic Corrosion attack sitting right there! 3dx5 damage will parry a hell of a lot, and Cosmic Corrosion should stop pretty much everything, possibly even traditionally "energy" attacks like lasers (which Control Matter has no chance of stopping, unless you allow it some form of power parry). If surprise attacks are the issue motivating Reflexive, Danger Sense is the real answer.

That said, at a Power Parry of 8 (for the Corrosion Attack) or Power Block 9 (for Control Matter), hes going to need Enhanced Defense or some power talent to make it reliable.

I think Id vote for a Force Field if his defense are reliable enough that he holds off cosmic entities with it...
As I said before, I haven't fully grokked the Power Defenses in Powers. How are those Parries of 8 and 9 calculated?

I'm actually thinking DR (Force Field; Requires Active Defense) might be a better choice, thematically. Thoughts on that?

(Mind, I don't plan to have him going up against cosmic entities at any point; at least no one above the level of the Silver Surfer. Certainly not the Beyonder, Galactus, or the Quesada....)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #944
Flyndaran
Untagged

Always remember that how it looks in world does not have to be anything like how it's written up in Gurps.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #945
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
As I said before, I haven't fully grokked the Power Defenses in Powers. How are those Parries of 8 and 9 calculated?

I'm actually thinking DR (Force Field; Requires Active Defense) might be a better choice, thematically. Thoughts on that?

(Mind, I don't plan to have him going up against cosmic entities at any point; at least no one above the level of the Silver Surfer. Certainly not the Beyonder, Galactus, or the Quesada....)
Power page 168 lays it all out, but Parry is 3+ (Innate Attack + talent)/2, Block is attribute based (Will for mental abilities, HT for physical). Acts like any other parry, except you subtract damage your parrying attack inflicts from the incoming attacks damage.

Force Field w/Active defense would work fine too, though again he's going to need something to up his defense roll. Molecule Man is not a paragon of skill or attributes :)

Also all of these solutions leave him painfully vulnerable to ambush and sniper shots. Really, the go to way of beating him would be to distract him with something shiny (Spider Man, say) and then bean him in the back of the head with something that drops him immediately (and at HT 10, even a Taser might do. Certainly an electrolaser whipped up by Mr. Fantastic). I didnt read a lot of FF, but seems like he was able to hold his own a little better than that?

If so, straight Force Field might be best. Danger Sense and Power Parry with lots of Talent and/or Enhanced Parry could work too (requiring opponents to stack up enough attacks to wear down his Parry roll, rather than just brute force through a big DR shield).
Old 11-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #946
Celjabba

PK suggest, on his houserules page, that each level of control could be used to give DR1 over an area. Double on a successful power block. It can be a start for a 'low-power' MM. The secret war one is basically Dr Manhatan on steroid , and I think a wildcard reflexive control matter should best handle the reality warping. Still, a bit of forcefield DR against a surprise attack couldn't hurt.
Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #947
Phantasm

Updated Molecule Man with a DR 60 (Hardened 1) force field.

Quick question before I go about posting the next few. Molecule Man has "Matter Shaping (H) IQ+3 [2] – 16 (includes +4 from Matter Control Talent)" as one of his skills, which is used for his Control Matter advantage. Is there anything in any of the books or Pyramids which would enable him to build a Power Block using that skill rather than basing it off a raw attribute?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #948
chandley

Quote:
Updated Molecule Man with a DR 60 (Hardened 1) force field.

Quick question before I go about posting the next few. Molecule Man has "Matter Shaping (H) IQ+3 [2] – 16 (includes +4 from Matter Control Talent)" as one of his skills, which is used for his Control Matter advantage. Is there anything in any of the books or Pyramids which would enable him to build a Power Block using that skill rather than basing it off a raw attribute?
I think the use of a stat for Power Block is largely centered on the lack of an obvious skill (like Innate Attack) to base the defense off of, in the "basic" Powers configuration. If you DO have a skill that you roll to use your power, such as Matter Shaping in this instance, I dont see why you couldnt base his Force Field Power Block off of that instead.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #949
Refplace

Quote:
Skills For Everyone Box Powers p.162
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #950
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Skills For Everyone Box Powers p.162
I looked there first, actually, and didn't see a clause for active defenses based on the skills. Maybe I'm just blind; I'll check it again tonight when I have my book open in front of me.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men