Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #491
Infornific

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post

I look at it as an art, not a science. I did the original heroes in somewhat of a rush, and as I look at some of the choices I made I don't think I made the right ones.

Basically, though, I want to keep 15 as the maximum DX/IQ/HT stat without a superhuman boost, using Talents and other Advantages to increase an effective stat higher. This allows me to keep the maximum stat even for those who are said to have "superhuman agility" or "superhuman intelligence" at 20.

It may not be the best method, and will often fly in the face of some fanboys' ideas of what their favorite character should be able to do (no offense intended to any said fanboys), but overall I find it balanced.

(Note that I am not a Stat Normalizer! I do not subscribe to the Cult of Stat Normalization. I've made "normal human" characters with DX 16 or IQ 18 in the past, and had fun playing them. As some have no doubt noticed, I am also not a min-maxing optimizer. I have changed my opinions on Super ST now that I have it grokked; many of the super-strong tanks and scrappers are picking up the trait, instead of awkward levels of Striking and Lifting ST.)

Clear as mud?
Thanks for the feedback. I'd say DX and IQ maxes of 15 are appropriate for a realistic campaign. I'd even agree that a lot of comic book characters are best represented by a fairly modest IQ or DX plus a high appropriate Talent or Bang skill. That said, a lot of "normal human" superheroes demonstrate a broad range of expertise that is simply not realistic for a normal human. Captain America by most versions is a. one of the best fighters alive b. an Olympic gold medal level gymnast c. can match the strongest weight lifters etc. To simulate such a broad range ability I think it best to go with a higher DX. Likewise a higher combat skill leaves more room underneath for lesser superheroes.

Of course I've also noticed you're keeping "thug" level opponents at a modest level of skill so the supers still outshine them.

As for stat normalization, I'm in favor of it for a realistic campaign. For other kinds it's grossly inappropriate and interferes with the genre.

I can understand why Super ST was designed the way it is but I'm not a big fan of it. It still creates a zone around 30-70 where ST is really overpriced and the design just feels more complex than necessary. In the unlikely event I ever ran a GURPS Supers game, I'd probably just go with a "Genre Pact" limitation - -40% for all ST, -50% for Striking, Lifting or Enhanced Muscle.

Have you considered using the Move! skill for Spiderman? That would seem to fit his abilities well.

How do you handle guns? Do you have a genre rule limiting their effectiveness? A lot of the builds look like they'd be pretty vulnerable to ordinary guns.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #492
OldSam

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
I've decided to delve eyeballs deep into the X-folks next, ...
Love to hear that, since the new movie is around I think it's a good time for X-Men roleplaying anyway... I'm really looking forward to the completion of the main team :)
If these guys are ready, I'll definitely start a few Marvel One-Shots at my local roleplaying club, maybe even a campaign if I find the time...
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #493
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Love to hear that, since the new movie is around I think it's a good time for X-Men roleplaying anyway... I'm really looking forward to the completion of the main team :)
If these guys are ready, I'll definitely start a few Marvel One-Shots at my local roleplaying club, maybe even a campaign if I find the time...
The main team is Warren, Hank, Scott, Bobby, and Jean; the Original Five. Storm, I've decided, is playing weather-goddess over in Africa and being romanced by T'Challa/the Panther; they'll have stats posted eventually... in maybe two, three years when I get to them. Wolverine is likely still with Department H up in Canada. Colossus is either living as a farmer in Siberia or attending the Xavier Institute/Mutant High. Sunfire is likely Japan's national hero. Banshee... well, I've got plans for a character named Bainsidhe (Gaelic spelling of Banshee), but I can say that it's not Sean Cassidy with the name; Bainsidhe will have stats posted in this thread soonish. Not sure what to do about Nightcrawler yet. Kitty probably hasn't even manifested powers yet. Rogue will be statted up in this thread... as a villain.

Anyone else you're curious about?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #494
OldSam

Quote:
Anyone else you're curious about?
Well, of course the "overmind" of the team, Prof. X =)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #495
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Well, of course the "overmind" of the team, Prof. X =)
He's easy: headmaster of the world's first publicly-known Mutant High, the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters (which has recently had its first graduating class of about 20 students). You'll be seeing stats for him eventually, but I will say that he's normally much to busy teaching and administering his school of about 100+ students to keep that close an eye on five of his graduates (even if they are among his favorites).

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #496
Phantasm

AVALANCHE

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Naturalized citizen of the United States with a criminal record; formerly a citizen of Greece.
Other Aliases: Lance Alvers.
Place of Birth: Sparti, Greece.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Mutant Liberation Front.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Very little is known about Avalanche's past. What is known is that he is an immigrant from Greece and that he had apparently run afoul of Interpol several times before moving to the United States.

Quite recently, Avalanche was recruited into the team of costumed mutant criminals known as the Mutant Liberation Front by their leader, Mystique (see Mutant Liberation Front; Mystique). The MLF has clashed several times with the X-Men, most notably when the Legion attempted to assassinate Henry Peter Gyrich, head of SHIELD, at the unveiling of SHIELD's newest anti-superhuman enforcers, the robot Sentinels (see Gyrich, Henry Peter; Sentinels; SHIELD).
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: Indigo bodysuit, metallic torso armor with a large light blue "A" on the chest, light blue belt, white gloves, white boots, metallic helmet.
Strength Level: Avalanche possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Avalanche is a mutant who possesses the ability to generate powerful waves of vibrations from his hands, which he uses to create localized movement of earth and stone, including brick and asphalt, often in a manner akin to an earthquake. These waves have little to no effect on other materials.

910 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 11 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 9.
Languages: English (Native) [6]; Greek (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Balkan [1]; Middle Eastern [1]; Western [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Control Earth 30 (Ranged, +40%; Elemental: Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [720]; Corrosion Attack 5d (Accessibility: Cannot Affect Living/Organic Material, -20%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Damage Modifier: Explosion, +50%; Increased 1/2D Range (ื5), +10%, Reduced Range (ื1/2), -10%; Elemental: Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [80]; Crushing Attack 5d (Damage Modifier: Double Knockback, +20%; Damage Modifier: Explosion, +50%; Damage Modifier: No Wounding, -50%; Increased 1/2D Range (ื5), +10%, Reduced Range (ื1/2), -10%; Elemental: Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [25]; Fit [5]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Manual Dexterity 2 [10]; Tough Guy 2 [10].
Perks: Convincing Nod [1]; Fearsome Stare [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Code of Honor (Criminal's) [-5]; Compulsive Gambling (9) [-7]; Enemy (SHIELD) (9) [-30]; Greed (12) [-15]; Hard of Hearing (Mitigator: Hearing Aid, -60%) [-4]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Reputation (Mutant Terrorist) -2 (Almost Everyone) (10) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Lethal Legion) [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Bad Serendipity [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Immodest [-1].
Skills: Brawling (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Driving/TL8 (Automobile) (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Forced Entry (E) DX+4 [4] – 15*; Geology/TL8 (Earthlike) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 10; Holdout (A) IQ+0 [2] – 11; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Intimidation (A) Will+3 [4] – 14*; Musical Instrument (Guitars) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 10; Prospecting/TL8 (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Running (A) HT+1 [4] – 12; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Skiing (H) HT-1 [2] – 10; Streetwise (A) IQ+3 [4] – 14*; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 12; Traps/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 11; Wrestling (A) DX+2 [8] – 13.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Tough Guy.

History Notes:
1. SHIELD is now the Superhuman Hazards Investigation, Elimination, and Lockdown Division, falling under the joint authority of the Department of Defense and the Department of Justice. And before you ask, Nick Fury has nothing to do with this version of SHIELD; he's a secret agent for the CIA.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-28-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #497
Phantasm

BAINSIDHE

Identity: Publicly known.
Legal Status: Citizen of Ireland with no criminal record, in the United States on a special visa.
Other Aliases: Banshee (the Anglicized spelling of her code-name).
Place of Birth: Dublin, Ireland.
Known Relatives: Tom Cassidy (cousin).
Group Affiliation: Interpol, on loan to SHIELD.
Base of Operations: Arlington, Virginia; formerly Dublin, Ireland.
History: Theresa Rourke is a young mutant who had spent two years training her powers at the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters before returning to her native Ireland to finish her schooling (see Xavier Institute). After graduating high school, she entered the police academy, only to be essentially drafted into the Dublin, Ireland, Interpol office as soon as she completed her training due to her sharp mind and her powers. One of her superiors, however, regarded her youth and status as a mutant as inappropriate for the office, and arranged for her to be transferred to the United States as Interpol's liaison to SHIELD (see SHIELD).

Bainsidhe was first seen assisting the X-Men in defending SHIELD director Gyrich's life from the Mutant Liberation Front, but was soon tasked with investigating and arresting them for various crimes (see Gyrich, Henry Peter; Mutant Liberation Front; X-Men). In the course of her investigation, she discovered the crimes were committed by anti-mutant extremists who had framed her former classmates. Since then, she has been conducting her own covert investigation into SHIELD's higher-ups, particularly Gyrich and Oliver Trask, designer of SHIELD's robotic Sentinel enforcers, despite Interpol regulations prohibiting investigations of racially-charged crimes (see Sentinels; Trask, Oliver). (Interpol does not prohibit investigations of corruption, however, which is how she's justifying it in her mind.)
Height: 5' 6".
Weight: 112 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Red.
Uniform: Green and yellow bodysuit with a green and yellow striped cape between the suit's arms, yellow gloves, yellow boots.
Strength Level: Bainsidhe possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Bainsidhe is a mutant whose powers are linked to her vocal cords. Her larynx is stronger than a normal human's, enabling her to "scream" for up to an hour before her throat becomes sore. She is capable of producing sounds in both the subsonic and ultrasonic frequencies; a side-effect of this is she is able to hear in those frequencies as well.

While screaming, she is capable of producing a number of effects, some of which are clearly psionic as well as vocal in nature. She is able to use her screams to fly, using the vibrations of her sonic waves to provide lift. By focusing her scream in front of her, she is able to produce a blunt force, able to knock a person through a wall, or cause items to vibrate to where they heat up. She is also able to stun or cause intense pain to anyone within a hundred feet of her with her screams; she is skilled enough with her powers that she can selectively stun people in that radius, or protect a handful of people from being stunned. Only those who are able to hear her can be stunned.

By modulating her voice as she speaks, Bainsidhe is capable of putting someone into a highly suggestible state resembling a hypnotic trance. With her training, she is able to produce more subtle effects, such as causing people to trust her or inducing them to tell the truth.
Other Abilities: Bainsidhe is a trained police officer and a skilled marksman with a pistol. She is said to be one of the fastest draws in Interpol.
Weapons: Theresa Rourke does not normally carry weaponry; however, as a member of Interpol and liaison to SHIELD, she has access to a number of high-tech weapons as necessary.

680 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 11 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.75 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Basic Air Move 13 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; Gaelic (Native) [6].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Affliction (Sonic Scream) 5 (HT-4) (Area Effect: 32 yds, +250%; Dissipation, -50%; Emanation, -20%; Irritant: Terrible Pain, +60%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Sense-Based (Hearing), +150%; Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak, -15%; Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [243]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Burning Attack 6d (Armor Modifier (3), +100%; Increased 1/2D Range (ื5), +10%; Reduced Range (ื1/2), -10%; Resistible (HT-4), -10%; Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak, -15%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%; Alternative Attack, ื1/5) [10]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Crushing Attack 6d (Damage Modifier: Double Knockback, +20%; Increased 1/2D Range (ื5), +10%; Reduced Range (ื1/2), -10%; Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak, -15%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%; Alternative Attack, ื1/5) [6]; Danger Sense [15]; Enhanced Move (Air) 2 (Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant Psionic, -10%) [32]; Flight (Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak, -15%; Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant Psionic, -10%) [26]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers 2 [10]; Mind Control (Requires Hypnotism Roll, -0%; Sense-Based (Hearing), -20%; Suggestion, -40%; Elemental: Sound/Vibration, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [10]; Police Rank 2 [10]; Smooth Operator 1 [15]; Sound/Vibration Talent 2 [10]; Status 1 [0*]; Subsonic Speech [10]; Ultrasonic Speech [10]; Very Fit [15]; Voice [10]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1]; Classic Irish Features [1]; Courtesy Administrative Rank 5 [5]; Penetrating Voice [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-10]; Duty (Interpol) (9) [-5]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Stubbornness [-5].
Quirks: Congenial [-1]; Devout Catholic [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Proud [-1]; Thick Irish Accent [-1].
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Boating/TL8 (Sailboat) (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Body Language (Human) (A) Per+1 [4] – 13; Breath Control (H) HT+0 [4] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Connoisseur (Music) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Criminology/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 14; Diplomacy (H) IQ+1 [1] – 13†‡; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Fast-Draw (Pistol) (E) DX+4 [8] - 17ง; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+3 [4] – 16†‡; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Flight (A) HT+1 [4] – 15; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Hypnotism (Human) IQ+3 [8] – 15#; Innate Attack (Breath) (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Intimidation (A) Will+2 [4] – 14†; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Karate (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Law (International) (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Lip-Reading (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 13; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+1 [1] – 13†; Savoir-Faire (Police) IQ+2 [2] – 14†; Shadowing (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [2] – 13†; Typing (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Ventriloquism (H) IQ+2 [4] – 14#.
Starting Spending Money: $8,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Police Rank.
† Includes +1 from Smooth Operator.
‡ Includes +2 from Voice.
ง Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes
# Includes +2 from Sound/Vibration Talent.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-28-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #498
Phantasm

BARBARUS

Identity: Barbarus's existence is unknown to the general population.
Legal Status: None.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: The Savage Land.
Group Affiliation: Savage Land Mutates.
Base of Operations: The Savage Land.
History: The origins of the man known as Barbarus are currently a mystery. He is apparently a human who was born in the Savage Land, a hidden "lost world" in Antarctica, who was mutated to his current form in some as-yet unexplained manner (see Savage Land).

He and the other Savage Land Mutates first clashed with the mutant adventurers known as the X-Men on the latter's first trip to the Savage Land (see Savage Land Mutates; X-Men). The Mutates' mysterious "Master" ordered them to attack the visiting X-Men, but they were defeated.

Barbarus has since been seen with the other Savage Land Mutates in their subsequent clashes with the Avengers and the Brotherhood of Mutants (see Avengers; Brotherhood of Mutants).
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 235 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Other Distinguishing Features: Barbarus possesses four arms.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Barbarus possesses superhuman strength enabling him to lift (press) roughly 25 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to his four arms and superhuman strength, Barbarus possesses superhuman durability, enabling him to resist conventional police gunfire and superhumanly strong blows. He is also able to run faster than a normal human, having been clocked at around 40 mph.
Weapons: Barbarus carry a number of knives and a short sword. He is skilled enough that he can fight with a weapon in each of his four hands.

970 points
Attributes:
ST 31/170 [100*]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 3d+1/6d-1 (18d/20d); BL 192 lbs (5,780 lbs); HP 31 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 12 [10]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.5 [0]; Basic Move 7 [5]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Accented Spoken/Illiterate) [2] Savage Land Speech (Native Spoken/Illiterate) (Native Language) [-3].
Cultural Familiarities: Savage Land [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Constriction Attack [15]; Damage Resistance 10 (Tough Skin, -40%; Passive Biological, -5%) [28]; Enhanced Move (Ground) 1.5 (Move 21/42 mph) [30]; Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands) 2 [10]; Extra Arms 2 [20]; Extra Attack 3 [75]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 2 [4]; Hard to Subdue 2 [4]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /10 (Limited: Crushing Attacks, -40%; Passive Biological, -5%)) [82]; Outdoorsman 2 [20]; Patron (Apocalypse) (Equipment: More than Starting Wealth, +100; Special Abilities: Possesses Equipment from a Higher TL, +100%) (9) [30]; Super ST +11/+150 (Passive Biological, -5%) [435]; Super Throw 2 (Biological, -10%) [18].
Perks: Dirty Fighting [1]; Power Grappling [1]; Rapid Retraction (Punches) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]; Duty (to Patron) (12) [-10]; Hidebound [-5]; Low TL -8 [-40]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Sense of Duty (Savage Land Mutates) [-5]; Social Stigma (Freak) [-10]; Wealth (Poor) [-15].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1]; Uncongenial [-1].
Skills: Boxing (A) DX+3 [12] – 16; Climbing (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Hiking (A) HT+0 [2] – 13; Jumping (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Knife (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Lifting (A) HT+0 [2] – 13; Naturalist (Earth) (H) IQ+2 [4] – 12†; Navigation/TL0 (Land) (A) IQ+2 [2] – 12†; Riding (Dinosaur) (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 13; Shortsword (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Survival (Jungle) (A) Per+3 [4] – 15†; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 14; Throwing (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Tracking (A) Per+2 [4] – 14†; Wrestling (A) DX+3 [12] – 16.
Techniques: Choke Hold (Wrestling) (H) def+3 [4] – 16.
Starting Spending Money: $800 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +11/+150 from Super ST
† Includes +2 from Outdoorsman.

Design Notes:
1. Barbarus, and all the Savage Land Mutates, have their social traits calculated for TL8 campaigns. In campaigns set entirely in the Savage Land, remove Low TL -8 and raise Wealth to Average, a net increase of 55 points, and permit them to take 100% of their Wealth as Starting Cash ($250).

2. In Year Two or Year Three, the Savage Land Mutates' Patron will be revealed as none other than Apocalypse. As I am only chronicling Year One at this time, however, GMs are free to make their mysterious Patron whoever they wish.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #499
Phantasm

Updated Beast (again). A bit of minor optimization this time, although it may not look it. The method used was cheaper than using SuperST for giving a BLx8 of around 1 ton, with damage to match.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #500
Phantasm

BLACK KING

Identity: Publicly known; however, the general public is unaware of Shaw's criminal activities, nor that he is a mutant.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Group Affiliation: CEO and principal shareholder of Shaw Industries; leader of the Hellfire Club and its secret Inner Circle.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Sebastian Shaw was born to an impoverished family, but using his innate business talents he was a self-made millionaire by the time he was 30. His company, Shaw Industries, eventually became one of the leading multinational conglomerates with defense contracts in a dozen countries in the Americas and Europe. His success earned him an invite to join the Hellfire Club, a social club for society's elite (see Hellfire Club). Shaw learned of the Club's Inner Circle, a group inside the Club who, unknown to the rest of the Club, sought to impose their rule over the rest of the world through political and economic means. Shaw rose through the ranks of the Inner Circle to become its Black Bishop.

Working with another member of the Inner Circle, Emma Frost, the then-current White Bishop, Shaw enacted a coup which landed him and Frost the ranks of King and Queen of the Inner Circle (see White Queen). Shaw and the rest of the Hellfire Club's Inner Circle have recently come into conflict with the mutant adventurers known as the X-Men on two different occasions (see X-Men). Shaw has also recently hired the criminal Chameleon to obtain the schematics for or a working copy of Iron Man's armor from Stark Industries (see Chameleon; Iron Man; Stark Industries). He is also working with Bolivar Trask and SHIELD to produce the Sentinels; Trask and SHIELD are unaware that the Sentinels are being programmed to ignore members of the Hellfire Club's Inner Council, nor are they aware of Shaw's own mutant abilities (see Sentinels; SHIELD; Trask, Bolivar).
Height: 6' 2".
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Gray.
Uniform: None; when performing his duties as the Black King of the Hellfire Club, he dresses in an expensive suit reminiscent of those worn by Revolutionary-era American gentry.
Strength Level: Normally Shaw possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise. When absorbing kinetic energy, he can increase his strength to superhuman levels for short periods of time, the upper limit of which is unknown. Theoretically, Shaw may even be able to match the Hulk or Juggernaut in strength, potentially reaching Class 100 strength, able to lift (press) in excess of 100 tons (see Hulk; Juggernaut).
Known Superhuman Powers: Sebastian Shaw is a mutant with the ability to absorb kinetic energy to enhance his physical strength, speed, agility, and durability to superhuman levels.
Other Abilities: Sebastian Shaw is a ruthless, opportunistic, and cunning businessman.

1,285 points
Attributes
: ST 12 [20]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lbs; HP 12 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 9.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Business Acumen 4 [40]; Charisma 2 [10]; Damage Resistance 20 (Absorption ื20 (Four Traits: ST, DX, Basic Move, and DR (Tough Skin); Extended Duration ื1000, +120%), +880%; Limited: Kinetic Attacks, -20%; No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%; Mutant, -10%) [930]; Damage Resistance 0 (No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%; Mutant, -10%) [0]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Intuition [15]; Merchant Rank 11 [55]; Status 5 [0*]; Wealth (Multimillionaire 1) [75].
Perks: Controllable Disadvantage (Callous) [1]; Disarming Smile [1]; Fearsome Stare [1]; Power Grappling [1].
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Mitigator: Glasses/Contacts, -60%) [-10]; Code of Honor (Gentleman's) [-10]; Greed (12) [-15]; Megalomania [-10]; Secret (Subversive) (Imprisonment) [-20]; Selfish (9) [-7].
Quirks: Antitheist [-1]; Chauvinistic [-1]; Deadpan Snarker [-1].
Skills: Administration (A) IQ+4 [2] – 16†; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Connoisseur (Literature) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Connoisseur (Wine) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Business) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (High Culture) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Detect Lies (H) Per+0 [4] – 12; Diplomacy (H) IQ+2 [12] – 14; Economics (H) IQ+4 [4] – 16†; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+0 [1] – 12; Intimidation (A) Will+2 [8] – 14; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 13; Market Analysis (H) IQ+4 [4] – 16†; Politics (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Public Speaking (A) IQ+1 [1] – 13‡; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 13; Smuggling (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +3 from Rank and +2 from Wealth.
† Includes +4 from Business Acumen.
‡ Includes +2 from Charisma.

Design Notes:
1. The Damage Resistance 0 (Tough Skin; Mutant) trait is listed solely because Shaw can increase his own DR without increasing his Absorption DR. You need a trait before you can raise it; the 0 level is because it's not active all the time, only when extra points (2.5 per level) are put into it.
2. The Absorption modifier on DR is taken as a leveled modifier, based on RPK's MyGURPS house rules page.

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-31-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added No Signature to his DR

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men