Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #81
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: [DF] Dragonlance

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Trope Talk: Pure Evil looks at such versions of Evil. Too often chaotic evil comes off as a Grimdark "hero" ie someone who "behaves like a 13 year old sociopath on a power trip."

As I mentioned using King and Country and other articles as references alignments work best in simplistic games where world building is borderline nonexistent with NPCs little more than info/rumor/quest dumps for the heroes.

The more complex the setting is the less functional alignment becomes with special pleading needed to make the chosen alignment even make sense. It also dodges the key question - where exactly are the boundaries between the alignments?
I use the concept of alignment with my characters as a sort of mental shorthand, rather than a cosmic force. A way of expressing their overall pattern of thinking and behavior, with of course no hard boundaries. I also tend to use Palladium's version, which I think makes a little more sense than the D&D.

Tags
dragonlance, dungeon fantasy