Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Contests (Opposed Rolls)

ITL page 8 says: "The winner is the one who makes their roll by the greatest amount."

So if you roll 18 against adjDX 20 you make your roll by 2?

If you roll 14 against adjDX 12 you lose your roll by 2 but still win if the other side loses their roll by 3?

This applies for demon wishes, but I'd like a broader ruling please.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Venomous Filigree

Default Re: Contests (Opposed Rolls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL page 8 says: "The winner is the one who makes their roll by the greatest amount."

If you roll 14 against adjDX 12 you lose your roll by 2 but still win if the other side loses their roll by 3?

I think I'd be inclined to keep automatic failures (so the 18 failed), unless they both rolled automatic failures, the go by the "best roll".

However I'd agree with interpretation RAW.
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
hcobb

Also on page 143 we have "A successful roll means the wizard wins his wish. Double and triple-effect rolls will give extra wishes."

So if the wizard rolls a critical success the demon doesn't get to roll at all?
Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:

What does it say about failures? Failing is not 'making your roll' at all.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
JLV

Quote:

By "makes their roll" I assumed that he meant "succeeds with their roll." Meaning if you have an IQ of 16 and make a 14, and I have an IQ of 12 and roll a 13, I still fail because, well, I failed. The clause about the winner being the guy who made the best roll would only come into play as a tie-breaker (we both succeed, but you do so by 2 points and I only did so by 1 point, therefore you win). However, I didn't see anything there that would imply that a roll of 16, 17, or 18 is anything other than an automatic failure.

However, having said that, and having dealt with many a "rules lawyer" in the past, I suppose more specific terminology here would be a good thing.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
Skarg

It makes a vast difference in how predictable uneven contests are, and therefore to the riskiness of death from wish attempts.

Since I want wish attempts to have a good risk of deadly failure to discourage casual mass-production of wishes, I would tend to want the auto success/failure to apply, and for critical success/failure to be considered more significant than normal success/failure.

So even if a Demon is IQ 9, he might get a critical success when a high IQ wizard gets only an ordinary success, or the wizard might roll a fumble. Otherwise, the odds of success start to get so good as to feel a lot safer than I'd hope wish extraction would be.

On the other hand, in some cases I would want an 18 to almost certainly defeat a 9, and then I would not want to do that.

So to me it would depend on how unpredictable I think the situation should be.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #7
RobW

My interpretation of RAW is that auto success and fail are in effect for both parties rolls. So could have a situation where both parties "succeed" and GM would have to judge how that might happen.

For example the wishes are granted and the wizard is killed.

These kinds of things will be rare, a fraction of a percent chance, and an opportunity for some creative gm'ing
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
hcobb

Suggestion: Any side that fails their own roll can't win the contest. If both sides fail then the result is a draw. For example the wizard doesn't get a wish from the demon, but he doesn't die either. If one side rolls any sort of critical success then they win unless the other side ties them with their own critical success.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
Shadekeep

My interpretation is that it works rather like playing blackjack - whoever gets the better score, comparably, wins. If you miss your roll or roll critical failure, it's the same as "going over" and you lose. If you roll critical success (hitting 21), you instantly win (unless both roll critical success, in which case the "better" success wins, or a reroll happens in a tie). If both sides succeed, whomever succeeds by the larger amount wins. Again, a reroll is typically required on a tie, unless the GM has a creative solution for the particular situation.

I generally favour rule interpretations that are intuitive and that the players can grasp easily, unless such an interpretation leads to other issues.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
ecz

Quote:
Suggestion: Any side that fails their own roll can't win the contest. If both sides fail then the result is a draw. For example the wizard doesn't get a wish from the demon, but he doesn't die either. If one side rolls any sort of critical success then they win unless the other side ties them with their own critical success.
exctactly how it works in RQ6.

waiting for a official clarification it's how I would manage the thing